M4 EOTech / Help

Caligvla

I am thinking about getting an EOTech for my M4

and recommendations out there as to which model to get?

I am just a novice and futz around with my M4, I am just looking for something to improve my accuracy and enjoyment, I don't need night vision etc...

looking forward to your advice.

Caligvia,

The EOTech holographic sights must rank amongst the best of the holographic sights.

I have a 512.A65 fitted to my SuperNova. Unless Night Vision compatibility and a high level of ingress-protection are key issues (do you really intend using it with the SCUBA gear?) then, I think that your main concerns should be regarding battery type. Personally, the longer base housing (to accommodate AA batteries) was not a problem for me and the ready availability of AA type batteries confirmed that choice.

Whichever model you decide upon, I am sure that you will be very satisfied.

Regards

AndyUK

Caligvia,

I think that your main concerns should be regarding battery type. Personally, the longer base housing (to accommodate AA batteries) was not a problem for me and the ready availability of AA type batteries confirmed that choice.

Well if battery is the main concern I like this one

553.A65TAN it uses CR123s, I always have plenty of those on hand because of my surefire and fenix lights. I also like the tan color, it will look better with my desert camo.

can you foresee any down sides with this model?

http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=2&cat=1

It talks about close quarters does that mean it's crappy for distance and hitting clays?

I am not really sure how it works, is it like a laser that has to be adjusted for a specific distance?

thanks for helping out a novice...

Caligvla,

The 553.A65TAN is obviously, one of the latest iterations of the EOTech HWS family. My choice was based upon better availability of AA as against CR123 (may be different in your locale) and not needing the 66' immersion capability. The ARMS dual levers look great and might justify the cost if you are regularly taking the sight off for transportation, to use iron sights or to transfer to another gun. However, it does seem to be a significant price premium to pay for a quick release feature. Remember, the other EOTech models can be fitted using the additional knurled knob which is packaged as a replacement for the 7/64 head bolt. It takes only about 10 - 15 seconds to remove using the conventional knurled head knob.

Of course, at the end of the day this is all very amusing but we all have our own preferences - and your choice could not be faulted.

Regarding the reference to 'close quarters'; a shotgun is a close quarters arm.

It is not a rifle; although it can make a passable carbine when loaded with slug and properly zeroed. For reference, last weekend I put five 2.3/4" Winchester slugs into one 2" jagged hole from an unsupported kneeling position at 25M. I would not call that at all unusual. Even with a special rifled barrel and sabot slugs the EOTech will be a perfectly good sighting system at any range at which it would be sensible to use slugs.

Busting clays (aerial targets?) with an EOTech fitted might be a fun proposition but if you are looking for a serious clay gun the M4 is NOT it!

The laser incorporated into the EOTech projects a holographic image onto the screen. It is claimed that there is no parallax error using this system so you just look with both eyes, place the illuminated reticle on target and fire. Naturally, you need to zero, just as you would with a conventional 'scope.

Neither the EOTech or Benelli M4 are pretty. They are highly functional tools which do exactly what they were made to do. In a time of compromise and shortcomings they provide a package which is more reliable than most and one which has undergone testing far beyond anything that most 'civvies' will throw at it.

Enjoy.

AndyUK

Caligvla,

My choice was based upon better availability of AA as against CR123 (may be different in your locale) and not needing the 66' immersion capability.

I could care less about the immersion capability...

Obviously the AA can be found anywhere, but because

I have heavy usage of surefire lights in my life, I always keep boxes of CR123s handy, in my car, desk, backpack, etc. a light is pretty useless ones the batteries die, so I always have plently of em on hand.

The ARMS dual levers look great and might justify the cost

If the EOTech makes my life easier and brings more enjoyment to using my M4, I don't see why I would ever take it off...

Busting clays (aerial targets?) with an EOTech fitted might be a fun proposition but if you are looking for a serious clay gun the M4 is NOT it!

Like I said I am a complete novice to the world of shotguns, I am not really serious about anything as far as the M4 goes, just looking to have some fun... I would still use my Glock .45 Auto for home defense, simply because I am very comfortable and confident with it in my hand. Hopefully I can learn to be just as comfortable with my M4 and I hope someday it will be the first thing I reach for in a home invasion situation. I really just wanted something new to have fun with that was of superb quality. While it may not be the best for shooting clays, and since I don't have any other shotguns, why not shoot some clays with it. However, I am open to any suggestions you may have so that I get the most fun and enjoyment out of my M4. What else do you suggest I do with the M4 to have some fun, where would the EOTech come in most handy in a recreational situation.

Naturally, you need to zero, just as you would with a conventional 'scope.

I never used a scope before, but I assume zeroing out is something fairly easy to do and covered in the manual?

Neither the EOTech or Benelli M4 are pretty.

Did I say it was pretty? Hmm, I think it looks spectacular, I also think the desert camo adds a lot of pleasing aesthetics to it. Don't you think?

m4PGDesert12Ga.jpg

Maybe it is pretty?

Well, perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Rgds

AndyUK

True indeed....... The prettiest gun I own is my compitition grade Citori, number two is toss up between my enhanced SS Colt Delta Elite 10mm or my Freedom Arms .454. As you can tell I like making big, deep holes with my sidearms. The M4 ranks somewhere in the middle, although in her defense she is in a different category than the rest.

Semper Fi

"Take the time to actually live life."

caligvla,

I have a red dot scope (BSA I think...something cheap) on my M4 similar in concept to the EOtechs, and it is great fun to shoot clays with. Granted, only trap, but have heard others have similar giggles with skeet. Sure beats sighting done a ribbed barrel.

I have no idea what that means, cheekweld? Remember I am a complete novice...

May I Kraut?

""Cheekweld" is the solid mounting of the fleshy/boney part of the face to the stock of the weapon.

In plain real world terms it means that it is a good idea to press your mug up against the stock in a solid, firm way (not so hard that it cuts off circulation to your head!) and in the same place. This helps you a couple of ways-

It makes your sight picture more consistant.

It lessens the felt recoil to your gord so the possibility of flinching is reduced.

Both of these improve accuracy. (If you put all the other pieces of good markmanship into practice along with it)

Semper Fi

"As far as Billary and the Brady bunch...... they are mentally ill and should be pitied and placed in an institution for the proper treatment."

Word for the day:

Electile Dysfunction : the inability to become aroused over any of the choices for president put forth by either party in the 2008 election year.