Choke recomendation

DawgByte

I've got a Benelli Cordoba (30" barrel) and would like to get some recommendations for a choke tube that will really opens the pattern. I just bought a Briley Skeet choke, but it's still tight. If I'm not mistaken Tru-Glo makes some kind of choke that really opens things up, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

The only thing more open than skeet (0.005" restriction) is cylinder which has no restriction, that is, the choke tube ID is the same as the barrel ID (bore.)

Some manufacturers have dabbled with a "spreader" choke that is actually negative, that is 0.005 inches in diameter larger than the bore, but I'm not sure who makes them, and I'm not sure how well they perform.

What are you needing this open choke for?

Timb99 - I should have mentioned I have a Benelli Cylinder tube. Based on my 35 years of shooting I've never shot a gun with as tight of patterns as this Benelli. For example, my Beretta in a Skeet choke configuration at 35 yards has more than twice the shot pattern diameter than the Benelli in a Cylinder config. My Benelli Cylinder tube shoots as tight a pattern as a Modified tube in my Beretta - that should give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

I went Duck hunting in LA the past three days and could have used a more open pattern shooting Teals that were coming in close over decoys. On the flip side, with a Briley skeet choke I was nailing Greys, blue/green winged Teals and Widgeon at 60+ yards... and that wasn't even maxing the killing range. For what it's worth this Benelli Cordoba was an absolute joy to shoot and proved to be a real duck slayer. I'm going to look into the "spreader" option.

Remember, steel and other non-toxic shot used for waterfowl will pattern tighter than lead shot.

Not sure why the Benelli would pattern significanly tighter than the Beretta. I can't imagine there being that much difference in the barrels.

Did you compare them side to side on the same day with the same ammo? With 6 or 8 shots on paper?That might tell you something.

Dunno, but good luck.

I think Briley sells spreader (or diffusion) chokes.

Post back if you discover anything significant.

Tim

dawg,

unless you have a beretta that has been "backbored" both the Beretta & Benelli should have .723" bores and the chokes should be the same (mobil chokes work in both Beretta & Benelli). Optima Beretta's have slightly larger bored barrels "backbored" (.727") and maybe this is the difference between your two guns?!?!? This would make a cylinder Benelli shoot tighter than a modified Beretta!

I would suggest you have your benelli barrel measured internally and get someone like Briley to match your chokes to that bore size. lets say your benelli barrel is .725" and you purchase a cylinder choke that measure .723" you really don't have cylinder constriction (.000") you have .002" tighter than cylinder.

"backboring" is done on many competition guns to reduce recoil, improve pattern (not tighten pattern, make it more uniform), reduce flyers (less pellet deformation) and increase sales (marketing hype). Some guns like Browning & Mossberg have 12 gauge bores as large as .735" and these guns tend to shoot larger diament shot better than their tighter bore competitors!

Large bore diameter is why I own a 10 gauge....it has nothing to do with 3" vs 3-1/2" mags....a larger bore diameter simply shoots large pellets (#2 and bigger) more effeciently than a smaller bore. Pattern is improved and flyers are reduced when the pipe is larger in diameter.....it has more energy and goes farther than it's little brother the 12 gauge, too!

10G -

I had Briley match the .723 bore, so I'm good there. I think you've hit the nail on the head on the difference between the Beretta and Benelli, which would explain why the Benelli shoots tighher patterns.

I went back up to my club today and shot two rounds of skeet an one of SC. The gun shoots amazingly well and has improved my scores over the Beretta. The consistency of pellet distribution in my patterns is outstanding. I'm rapidly reaching a point where this is the only gun I want to shoot!

dawg,

unless you have a beretta that has been "backbored" both the Beretta & Benelli should have .723" bores ... Optima Beretta's have slightly larger bored barrels "backbored" (.727")...

Curious, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I read in Wikipedia that the bore diameter of a 12ga is supposed to be 0.729". So is it true that the industry standard bores are actually SMALLER than 12ga? For reference, Wikipedia also gives an equation for calculating bore size based on gauge.

Do 10 gauge shells cost a lot more than 12 gauge shells? Who manufactures a 10ga any more?

Greenbay,

1.) yes and no to the .729" question....here's my short version to explain my answer;

in ancient shotgun manufacturing days (black powder) gauge was established using the number of lead balls at a specific diameter that would equal 1 pound of lead. For example, 12 lead balls at .729" diameter would equal 1 pound of lead and therefore a 12 ga was to be .729" diameter......10 balls at .775" equal a 10 gauge bore diameter. Enter the modern era shotguns and manufacturers who don't rely on the old black powder "standard" and the modern 12 gauge bore diameter has become a bit blurred based on todays engineering practices. A modern 12 gauge barrel can be anywhere from .719" to .735" in diameter and still be called a 12 gauge! The real question here should be, "is there an industry std?".

2.) Browning makes the Gold and BPS in 10 gauge (i think the BPS is still offered as i write this?). There are some double guns still made in 10bore but mostly higher end SxS's. I have not checked Remington lately to see if they still make the SP10....this was the old Ithaca Mag10 design that Remington took over years ago and you still see the SP10's in duck blinds from time to time, oh yeah here is a link;

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_SP-10.asp

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=010B&cat_id=011&type_id=218

Factory 10 gauge ammo is (for the most part) 3-1/2" and when compared to similar 3-1/2" 12 gauge loads prices can be relatively close. Example, last time I purchased Federal Turkey loads for a 10 they were the same price as the 12 ga 3-1/2" box! Non-Toxic loads can be a bit more expensive depending on the brand....last time I bought Tungstun 10's they were about a $1 or $2 more than a box of 12ga 3-1/2" shells from the same maker. Downside to Factory 10 ga ammo can be finding it....you won't get it at WalMart in Ohio but you can usually find it at Walmart in Arkansas!

I've been reloading 10's for several years now and I can make them for just a few cents more than a similar 12ga 3-1/2" load....wads are a bit more expensive for the 10 and i'm using more powder and shot than a 12ga so you can see each shell will be a little more costly. Reloading for the 10 makes this gun "mighty" because many of todays Factory 10ga ammo is loaded to similar pressures, loads and velocity as the 12ga 3-1/2".....this is why cost is close with respect to like factory ammo. Not ALL but some......Federal makes some kick but turkey loads for the 10 that are heavier than the 3-1/2" 12's but the biggest advantage you will see with a 10 over the 12 is patterning....with all things being equal between the 2 gauges the 10 will almost always have a better pattern!

I wish Benelli made a 10 gauge but it ain't likely to happen in my lifetime....i'd like to see a 16 too if neone at Benelli is listening?!?!

• 3 weeks later...
What kind of pellet charge are you reloading with for target shells? For trap or sporting clays, I'll use 1 1/8oz with my 12 ga and 7/8oz with my 20ga, but what sort of pellet range do they load the target 10ga shells with? 1 3/4oz is my guess... :confused:

GBS, i've loaded some 2-7/8" shells for the 10ga (sxs) that were 1-1/4oz "lead" loads....these were tested on clay birds and at one time I considered shooting doves with this load, but felt it was too unfair on the little critters!

my lightest 3-1/2" shell is a 1-3/8oz "lead" load that i call my "target" load and it is a 1250 fps easy shooting load! I've shot sporting clays with this load for "kicks"......you can go as light as 1-1/4 oz but I'm not sure my Browning will cycle something this light? My heaviest, magnum or maximum 3-1/2" TURKEY load is a 2-1/2oz nickle or copper plated "lead" load (buffered, too!).....2-1/2oz of #6 is a bunch of pellets and throws a wicked pattern!

• 3 weeks later...