WTS: US Made M4 Enhanced Skeletonized Stock

Teufel-hunden

I bet that title woke some people up!

The more I study it, the more confident I am that I can build a coll. stock out of aluminum. It would not be easy or quick, but it is doable.

It would have similar lines to the factory stock and function the same but with a few enhancements, they are listed below-

Simms recoil pad

Active recoil reduction system (would add weight and complexity to the build but would probably be worth it.)

Adjustable cheek piece (not sure about this one, I will have to shoot my M4 with the factory coll. stock to see if the extra time/trouble would be worth it.)

Built in shell holders. (Think MESA)

And possibly some kind of quick change provision to go from different types of stocks more easily.

It would be slightly heavier than the factory model but would be another imported part reducer for the 922 crowd.

Just curious as to what price they would bring. The lowest price I am thinking would be $500- the current street price for a factory piece. But how much more than that would you guys and gals pay? $750?.... $1,000?

Alas, unless I win the lottery and can quit my job, I would not have a lot of time to work on them. So it may be just the one I build for myself-

The Hellish Hound

"The most deadly weapon known to man is the human brain"

500 is to much for a aftermarket stock. Its bad enough some of us are paying 500 for the factory model.

Just MO

I disagree- an aftermarket stock that is better than the factory unit AND counts towards 922 compliance for our republik of California M4tunates could bring well above $500.

It is just a matter of how many you would want to sell. I am guessing you could sell a dozen or more at the $1,000 level, or several dozen at the $500 mark.

This all hinges on Benelli not coming to their senses and selling the factory model again in the US of course.

And come on Bs! Didn't you list your’s for $1,000 and then get $750 and a regular PG stock for it? You are trying to tell me the demand is not there? ;)

What would you do for a pistol grip on a US made telestock? Factory pistol grips by themselves are hard to come by, they usually come as a set with the factory telestock. If a US made telestock is going to be made as an alternative, then it'll need a grip too.

I disagree- an aftermarket stock that is better than the factory unit AND counts towards 922 compliance for our republik of California M4tunates could bring well above $500.

It is just a matter of how many you would want to sell. I am guessing you could sell a dozen or more at the $1,000 level, or several dozen at the $500 mark.

This all hinges on Benelli not coming to their senses and selling the factory model again in the US of course.

And come on Bs! Didn't you list your’s for $1,000 and then get $750 and a regular PG stock for it? You are trying to tell me the demand is not there? ;)

Wow. I think you are WAY overestimating people's interest in this at that price. Look at the prices for factory stock/pistol grip sets, they are not selling when listed about $500 or so. What makes you think you can double that price and find ANY buyers. Of those that care about 922r, they want specifically want the factory telestock and PG, not simply any telestock and PG.

Also, not sure I understand your comment about 922r and California. 922r applies nationwide and Californians cannot have telestocks on M4s due to the state AW laws.

What would you do for a pistol grip on a US made telestock? Factory pistol grips by themselves are hard to come by, they usually come as a set with the factory telestock. If a US made telestock is going to be made as an alternative, then it'll need a grip too.

Good question- The easiest thing to do would be use the factory piece ,but that raises the 922 issue again in some left leaning states.

While it could be made out of aluminum in the same style as the stock, it would be more complex and take longer to do. The stock would be all off-the-shelf tubing and plate, except for the cheek piece which could be cut to shape flat and then be bent into shape on a press.

:confused:

Everyone that responded that $500 is way to much, blah-blah-blah, .......come on guys and help yourselves if you want a US made stock. A potential maker is going to look at those doom and gloom posts and think "man, I am not going to be able to sell these things, so why make it?" (Yes there are accessory makers looking at this site- I have gotten feedback from a couple)

And yes that was part of the reason why I started this thread, the chance of me getting time enough to make one for myself (@$!*& job!) is remote, not to mention going into production.

Just my 2.5 cents worth.

Semper Fi

"I have seen it all and done most of it"

Simms recoil pad

Active recoil reduction system (would add weight and complexity to the build but would probably be worth it.)

I have used a Pachmyr Decelerator pad on an M4 during a three-day combat shotgun course. It's wonderful. No fancy mechanical or hydraulic system required.

We have discussed stock projects with Simms in the past. They are good people and their stuff really works. I have a Limbsaver pad epoxied onto the butt of the M4 SOPMOD stock on my favorite 870 Police (recoil absorption is a lot more important on a pump gun).

Adjustable cheek piece (not sure about this one, I will have to shoot my M4 with the factory coll. stock to see if the extra time/trouble would be worth it.)

This would definitely be worth it and would be a feature of any system we ever came up with. The military is using these shotguns with optics, and the cheek weld is simply lousy with optics with the factory stock.

Built in shell holders. (Think MESA)

I know where you can get these.

Naturally any system we devised would include these as well. For anyone working on a home project, we would be happy to make drawings of the SureShell yoke mount screw holes pattern available.

Good question- The easiest thing to do would be use the factory piece ,but that raises the 922 issue again in some left leaning states.

There you go again, citing 922r as applying to specific states. You do understand 922r is federal law and has absolutely no applicability at a state level, right?

There you go again, citing 922r as applying to specific states. You do understand 922r is federal law and has absolutely no applicability at a state level, right?

Yes Monkey, I am aware of that- but it seems the same people who are worried about the 922® federal regulations are the same people living in anti-gun states and worried about their unconstitutional sate laws as well- they go hand-in-hand. Personaly I have yet to see any evidence of 922 affecting anything we do to our guns short of sneaking in a full-up M4 across the border.

Yes Monkey, I am aware of that- but it seems the same people who are worried about the 922® federal regulations are the same people living in anti-gun states and worried about their unconstitutional sate laws as well- they go hand-in-hand. Personaly I have yet to see any evidence of 922 affecting anything we do to our guns short of sneaking in a full-up M4 across the border.

922r has absolutely no effect on those states that have AW laws. There are no pre-ban models of the Benelli M4/M1014 for residents of places like CT or CA to exploit. The fact that you are talking about a US made telestock for the M4 would not help these people in the least. Might want to refrain from mentioning 922r in that context, it makes a very confusing law that much more confusing to those that don't know.

922r has absolutely no effect on those states that have AW laws. There are no pre-ban models of the Benelli M4/M1014 for residents of places like CT or CA to exploit. The fact that you are talking about a US made telestock for the M4 would not help these people in the least. Might want to refrain from mentioning 922r in that context, it makes a very confusing law that much more confusing to those that don't know.

OK my head hurts now, forget about any refference to any state- leave in the 922 stuff- people are interested in having a certain US part count- the US stock one of them.

And I personally don't think it is confusing-