Easy Benelli?

Caligvla

beretta is the parent company to benelli.....i own several beretta 390's and frankly think there isn't a better "gas" gun on the market....even like them better than my browning golds but browning has the only decent 10 gauge these days!

you can find 390's used around $500-600 in good condition but a 20 gauge might cost a little more depends on your area??? if you want new try a beretta 3901 American Citizen in 20 gauge for under $750.....the beauty of these guns is the chokes will interchange with your benelli SBE, M1 or Nova (anything with MC's)!

Beretta 391's are another option but much more expensive and you may not find too many on the used market in 20 gauge!

when the benelli supersport first came out I bought one for sporting clays and after my first 200 targets i sold the gun and went back to my old Beretta 390's.....these guns are really soft shooters and extremely reliable. i have shot well over a 2500 rounds in a weekend with my 390's with no malfunctions or cleaning but because they are gas and not inertia they need more routine maintenance than say a supersport, M1 or SBE.

Cali....If you can get yours hands on a short stock 20 guage Monty, your friend may enjoy shooting shotguns. I always use the cheapest shells I can find in mine and stay away from 2+3/4 or 3" magnums. The correct LOP and easy shooting shells make all the differense. My little Monty came from the factory with a 12+1/2 " LOP and weighs just a tadd over 5 pounds. In my experience, when I have to stretch my arms and neck to accomidate a larger shotgun (of any make) I always feel the recoil. Otherwise, I might recommend something like a Remington 11-87 Special Filed 20 guage gas automatic. I had the LOP on my Remy shortened to 13". It's a little heavy at 6 pounds, but between the extra weight and gas operation it handles and feels very soft. I also feel more comforatble using an English style stock because of my small hands. If Benelli ever made an English style stock for their Monty's (hint, hint) I might just have to sell my other shotguns :-)

Sgtcathy

Cape Cod

beretta is the parent company to benelli.....i own several beretta 390's and frankly think there isn't a better "gas" gun on the market...

if you want new try a beretta 3901 American Citizen in 20 gauge for under $750.....

Beretta 391's are another option

They need more routine maintenance than say a supersport, M1 or SBE.

I knew Berretta was the parent company but that doesn't always mean similar quality, Ford is the parent company of Volvo and there is a HUGE gap in quality.

In the 3901's and the 391's which is gonna be easier to shoot?... Any other advantages that would justify the extra cost in the 391's?

Besides cleaning, what extra maintenance do they need?

Remember I am pretty much a novice in the world of shot guns, I only have a Benelli M4, and keep it clean and never ever have any problems with it...

thanks for all your help

cali,

beretta is best known for their high quality O/U and have been making guns for over 500 years they got into the autoloader market before benelli became a company......the Beretta A300 was introduced in 1965 and Benelli was established in 1967 as an offshoot to the Benelli motorcycle company. Without angering some of the benelli purists on this forum, from my experience Beretta quality is superior to most benelli's and I own both.

I'm not sure I understand your question "easier to shoot"??? If you mean recoil both will be similar if you mean ease of use, both will be similar.....i'm sure this doesn't help you decide, go try both guns and decide for yourself. Personally, I like the 3901 over the 391 because the 3901 fits my 6' frame and large hands.....for a woman a 391 might be better the forearm is smaller on the 391's.

Clean the same way you clean your benelli M4 for the most part but the 3901 & 391 has a gas piston and these pistons need to be cleaned with a solvent and should not be lubricated. They also have small gas ports (in the barrel band) that require a small brush cleaning once in a while (if ports clog from powder residue gun wont cycle) but there are cleaning kits on the market to help with this.

Gas guns are the softest shooting autoloaders on the market....not even a comfort tech benelli compares to a gas operated beretta when shooting the same loads in side by side test....i've done it personally and if I'm going to shoot 200-400 rounds of sporting clays in an afternoon I'll grab the beretta.......the benelli's are primarily my field or hunting guns. both are very reliable when cared for properly and both have a purpose in my opinion!

Hi there 10Gauge. I'm proably stepping into a big pile of doo-doo by asking this, but "I got's to know". In your post you mentioned shooting your Beretta 390's over 2500 times in one weekend. If that was a 3-day weekend, and shooting 12 hours per day, that comes out to about 70 rounds per hour. Hour in, hour out. Certainly not impossible, but I'm way impressed. If it was a two day weekend, it comes out to 104 shots per hour. Come on, be honest, it's just little old me and you chatting; that was a typo right? You meant 250 rounds? No disrespect intended, just in total wonder :o

Hey, I shot 5 rounds of skeet one Saturday, but had to limp home and my shoulder all but froze up the next few days. Okay...I'm a bit of a woos.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

cali,

I'm not sure I understand your question "easier to shoot"??? If you mean recoil both will be similar if you mean ease of use, both will be similar.....i'm sure this doesn't help you decide, go try both guns and decide for yourself. Personally, I like the 3901 over the 391 because the 3901 fits my 6' frame and large hands.....for a woman a 391 might be better the forearm is smaller on the 391's.

I noticed for the 391s you can get a KO stock, and you can't get those for the 3901, the KO adds about $400 to the price of the gun, does it make a big reduction in recoil?

As in my first post I said gun fit is important.

Heres my .02.

If your girlfriend is 110 lbs the average gun will probably not fit her well.

Most guns are designed to fit shooters of average stature which she is likely less than. If a gun does not fit a person reasonably well it can be painful to shoot.

I have shot 28 ga's. that kicked because it did not fit me and I am of average build.

Gas guns are somewhat less recoiling but they still have recoil. Your M4 is a gas gun and is more set up for combat than shooting comfort.

My suggestion is a 20ga. (gas or inertia) but have it set up for her by someone who knows how, and start her out on lite 20 ga. loads. You may even want to consider a cheaper O/U like a Stoeger Condor for example. Its less money and recoil in an O/U may even be more tolerable for her than an autoloader as they are different types of recoil. Of course it will still need to be fit to her.

Also if she is new to guns she needs to learn proper shooting mechanics. IE proper hold, shouldering , stance etc. Remember the first time you ever pulled the trigger on a 12ga. ? Wow! Thats always an eye opener the first time and I can almost guarantee it didn't fit you.

Anyway I hope this helps and good luck shooting.

Also if she is new to guns she needs to learn proper shooting mechanics. IE proper hold, shouldering , stance etc. Remember the first time you ever pulled the trigger on a 12ga. ? Wow! Thats always an eye opener the first time and I can almost guarantee it didn't fit you.

Anyway I hope this helps and good luck shooting.

I need to learn all those things too, I never had a teacher...

I only know what I know from you guys on the forums and youtube videos...

If I do buy another shotgun for her to shoot, it has to be something I can have fun with too... But now you talk about proper fit etc. that might not be possible... I am 6'4" and 250lbs, She is 5'4" and 110lbs about a 100 in the summer.

I was looking as some of the youth version of the Bretta guns too, they might have a better fit for her...

What do you guys think of recoil pads?? Any suggestions out there, my M4 is great but a little extra comfort might not be a bad idea...

"Hey, I shot 5 rounds of skeet one Saturday, but had to limp home and my shoulder all but froze up the next few days. Okay...I'm a bit of a woos.

SgtCathy"

What's a "woos"? Is that a yankee wuss? :)

Just joshing-

So you are a quail hunter huh? What kind of quail could you possibly have to hunt in Boston?!

What's your favorite quail recipe?

I am sitting here drooling thinking about my mom's fried quail with homemade mashed potatoes, biscuits, and gravy........ OH MAN was that good stuff!

**** Hound

Wuss = guy

Woos = girl

I'm a poor speller. I'm told by a close friend, the proper word would be wussette.

As for Boston... I don't have a passport/Visa to enter the city limits. You still working on your team leader/Griz M1014 special? Soon it will look to "perdie" to take outdors.

I'm still leaning towards the little short stock 20 guage Monty for Caligvla. You can purchase a full size stock for yourself (LOP is about 14+1/4 inch I believe) and stoke it with 2+3/4 or 3" magnums for that full 12 gauge roaring and kicking feel. I like to use the cheapest Wally World I can buy. Mostly the 7/8 ounce, #7+1/2 shot in the value package. The quail don't seem to notice the difference. Have that funny feeling if she likes the little Monty, you might wind up buying another Benelli just for youself ;)

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Have to say I agree with Full Bore with respect to gun fit....makes all the difference in the world, so does proper position and hold....excellent advice from a fellow Buckeye!

SgtC, back when I was traveling the "Sporting Clays" circuit in 1997 & 1998, mostly shooting in the Cabela's sanctioned NASC events it was routine to shoot the following in a weekend (2 days);

Saturday - 3 x 100 round practice, 2 x 100 round side event, 200 round main event, 8 rounds of 5 stand (200 birds), 5 rounds of FITASC (500 birds) = 900+ shots.....if your not familar with sporting clays events a double can be thrown and you shoot the first bird but the second breaks as it comes off the trap, trapper calls "no bird" so you shoot the pair over! Therefore you might shoot more than 100 or 200 shots per event....always carry a few extra shells when shooting these tournaments!

Sunday - Repeat except less practice rounds! These tournaments move quickly and at the end of the day you are tired and sore....unless your shooting a Beretta 390 (lol)!

The last Vintage Cup event I shot in 2002 was a 2 day shoot and I shot in 5 X 100 bird events each day with 12, 16, 20, 28 & .410 and a few 5 stand "fun shoots".....this was done with vintage sxs guns!

Let me add that there were several men and woman who shot more in a weekend at these events than I did.....they were NOT wussies or wooosies (take your pick)!

Nope, it will never be too purdie to bust some brush- my thinking on it is while I take care of them the best I can, guns are tools to be used, not locked away from the light of day. And after 3 months in Alaska the Yogi-Hammer is gonna have some nicks and dings, no way to avoid it.

Here is the Yogi-Hammer-

Yogi-Hammer.jpg?t=1201390110

Not a hundred % complete, but I am getting close.

Still to be installed is the SR06 dual switch from Surefire, and the Progressive machine non-rotating titanium bolt handle. That's it, except for the sling- still pondering that one. ......And the porting, and o yea, I am thinking about getting it coated in a olive drab finish!

So what does the crowd think about me changing my high $ M4 into a green machine?

T-H

"Thirty-one states allow all qualified citizens to carry concealed weapons. In those states, homosexuals should embark on organized efforts to become comfortable with guns, learn to use them safely and carry them. They should set up Pink Pistols task forces, sponsor shooting courses and help homosexuals get licensed to carry. And they should do it in a way that gets as much publicity as possible. "

--Jonathan Rauch, Salon Magazine, March 13, 2000

Excerpt from web the Pink Pistols web site:

We did. There are now over 45 Pink Pistols chapters nationwide, and more are starting up every day. We are dedicated to the legal, safe, and responsible use of firearms for self-defense of the sexual-minority community. We no longer believe it is the right of those who hate and fear gay, lesbian, bi, trans, or polyamorous persons to use us as targets for their rage. Self-defense is our RIGHT.

The Pink Pistols get together at least once a month at local firing ranges to practice shooting, and to acquaint people new to firearms with them. We will help you select a firearm, acquire a permit, and receive proper training in its safe and legal use for self-defense. The more people know that members of our community may be armed, the less likely they will be to single us out for attack. Join us today. It is your RIGHT.

Why can't all liberals be this reasonable?

T-H