Who's hunting more than one....

TookyriverCalls

.....state? The season is just around the corner and my fever is already starting to get to me. I've got until May 26 before I can hit the woods carrying "Big Ben" or "Natalie" and it's killing me :( I'm planning on hitting PA opener then onto WV for three days. After WV I'll be leaving for NY for two days of turkey chasing before I head back here to NH for our opener. My VT hunting will come on the weekends or whenever I can get out for the month of May.

All this state hoping should give me a great chance at winning something nice in my NHW&W hunting forums spring contest.

What state or states is everyone else planning on hunting?

I am very lucky! And to think I was pretty upset that this leap year was cutting my WV hunt short.

I'll be doing my best to get as many hunts as I can with friends and their kids around NH. Only if my season opener goes like it has in the last 9 years. The list of people wanting me to call for them or take them hunting grew in the past few years. I get a real kick out of helping someone else tag their bird! Most of the time I think I'm more excited about it than they are.

mudhen & tooky seem to have the same "affliction" I have and my wife thought I was the only one!!!!

I'll hunt TX, TN, KY, OH for certain this spring and maybe NC, LA and/or GA....still trying to nail those other three states down.

It would be much cheaper to buy "butterballs" or "honeysuckles" but not nearly as much fun!

I've got a couple of "Newbies" that I will be taking out here in Ohio again this year.....last year I managed to bring two more addicts to the fray.......like tooky I get a real kick outta getting "Newbies" started and love calling for others but when it comes to dropping the hammer on a big tom watch out.......that gets the blood pumping!

This year is still in the works,but so far it's Fl,Ga,Sc,Mo,Pa,Ny,Ny and Wv. It's hard to organize them because I try to hit all the Spring shows at Bass Pro,Cabela's and etc. for seminars and such.If anyone in any of these places has a floor I can sleep on,I'm bringing my sleeping bag;) The part I love the most about the travel is the extreme roadtrip feeling,I call it "barn storming". There are so many awesome people and stories in these little towns you hit on the trail.I can't thank the Lord enough for the oppertunity that He has blessed me with.

Tooky,where are you going in Pa for the opener?I'm hitting the Poconos,after Mothers Day.

I'll be hunting Illinois and Missouri as well as calling for my brother in law and niece here in IL. She killed a jake last spring and I had more fun calling for her than I do when I shoot a bird. That is one thing I really enjoy about turkey hunting, calling for someone else is just as enjoyable as shooting.

My 870 is all dialed in for turkeys, but I won a SBEII in a raffle this past summer (best $50 I ever spent) and am sort of anxious to kill a tom with it. No good reason really, the 870 does just fine. Kid with a new toy syndrome I guess.

Tooky,where are you going in Pa for the opener?I'm hitting the Poconos,after Mothers Day.

LOL...:D AdamsCounty (where I was raised and where my family still lives) is one of the worst for turkeys in PA. Last summer I got permission on a 300 acre farm right on the Mason Dixon Line for bow hunting. I saw a few turkeys while hunting this fall so I'd like to try there. If my brother doesn't hear or roost any before I leave, my next spot was the Pocono’s! I lived in Stroudsburg for 4 years after high school and still have a lot of family from Stroudsburg all the way up to Scranton.

I'm leaving today for PA/WV rabbit hunting! On my way back Sunday, I'm was planning on hitting the Harrisburg Show and then up to the Stroudsburg to check out a few old hunting spots. My cousin tells me a few have been developed :(

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, have the fever here too. Was planning a trip to Alabama with my brother to start the season around the 1st week of April, then going to my home state of KY for some additional time and ending up in WV were I currently live to finish up since WV season starts so late.

If anyone has any insight on Alabama turkey hunting any advice appreciated as we both have some time off and can spend some quality time hunting together(which happens infrequently now) and since AL season comes in a little earlier we decided to try there. Been doing the online research thing which has helped narrow down some areas but nothing like actual experience.

Thanks.

I forget the county but the furthest south we've hunted was in the Petersburg or closer yet, the Dolly Sods area. We would head down to the Smoke Hole area trout fishing on the Potomac from Jan up to turkey season.

Only in your area once for white water rafting with the River Men guide service. That was back when Chevy dropped the blazer off the New River bridge. Well again, welcome to the forum ;)

DawG, there are a lot of turkeys in your area but man they gotta be tough to hunt! We "floated" the New & Gauley last summer w/ClassSix and saw tons of gobblers in the mountains and along the rivers....beautiful place West-by-God-Virginia!

Scouted my two KY farms last weekend and saw several BIG flocks of gobblers, hens and jakes....one pasture had over 30 birds in it at one time until a small herd of horses ran them off! The farm owner has wagged war on the BobCats & Coyotes the last couple of years and it seems to be working....17 cats were removed in 2 years and nearly a dozen coyotes, all were live trapped!

Got a lead on a farm in Northern Illinois close to the Wisconsin border and will scout it next week if the weather permits.....might be my last stand in May!

LOL, 10 Guage. Yes it is very tough here with the steep slopes and high mountains in comparison to predominately farm land. The challenge of the terrain and the quarry is what makes it so rewarding when you do outsmart one of these great birds. I was out scouting this morning and saw a lot of sign and I think I have a couple of areas were I have some turkeys located so hopefully this years WV hunt goes well.

dawg, we did some horseback riding in the area where the new housing developments (million dollar vacation homes) are going in.........overlooking the gorge during our summer family vacation.

Saw tons of turkey sign and bear sign along those old logging roads. That looked like a great area to hunt and the guy who owned the riding stables owned a lot of that land.....for the life of me I can't recall his name but you might check with the "boy's" over at ClassVI. They also own a bunch of land down along the rivers and they might give you permission to hunt/access some prime turkey properties!!! One of their guides told me they do some hunting on ClassVI property.

The ClassVI folks were very nice people and very professional....even thou the owners are a bunch of Ohio boy's!

nk, i'm assuming you are talking to me??? I've been called a lot of things in my life but "slick" was never one of them ;)

i don't know where the property in IL is located??? a business associate from the Chicago area ownes the land and asked me if i'd like to turkey hunt the place. the only stipulation is i have to take him and his son and "guide" them.....it took me about .0001" of a second to say "heck yeah"!!! my scouting trip has been pushed out until early march so i'll let you know when i know.

I think NK may have been referring to me. Union county, Trail of Tears State Forest. It's rough terrain but I like it because it keeps the competition away. Lots of birds if a guy is willing to put in a few miles. I'll be calling for my niece in St. Clair. 120 acres of paradise that I can't hunt, just "guide". Just as much fun, really. You hunt in IL?

NK, i hunt a lot of public land in ohio.......even though our huntclub leases 1300 acres i still chase gobblers on some of the state hunting land. one thing that makes ohio a great hunting state....we have lots of excellent public lands with loads of deer & turkey (lots of hunters too!).