benelli patterns

the new man

what kind of TRUE patterns, are you guys really getting, on the sbII? I have read some of your postings about 55 - 60 pallets in a turkeys head at 55 yds. as for me, I only count the actuall pellets in the kill zone(brain or neck bone) AND ANY-THING PAST 35 YDS, IS STRETCHING IT. I have a 1100, that will almost out shoot the sbII.(using 3" shell. it will) I have tried about 10 chokes, including the famous 660 rhino, and still not impressed, I think the real problem with the benelli is, the bore size is too small. would like to see some of your pics. of patterns, at true measured yds, and know what pellet count you are getting at 30yds,40yds, and 50 yds, inside a 10" cycle?

Interesting post. I agree, if you can't get a tom into 35 yards, you have accomplished nothing in my opinion. Anything past 40 yards is just killing a bird - again, in my opinion.

I've been patterning Benellis since 1991. I've never found a pattern I love. Best patterning guns I have ever seen have been Mossturd 835's and just about any 10 gauge pump. I do now own a 10 gauge pump, which might get to see some playing time this year. I would not accept a free 835 or any other Mossturd product.

Bore ID is a likely suspect. They run from .723 when the cutter is new, to .718 when they finally decide to use a new cutter. I suspect the .718's are the toughest to pattern. My current SBE II is a .719. I also suspect that as the ecomony slumps worldwide, there will be plenty of .718's around :(

Shot size is also a critial issue. I've got guns that love #6's, but can't kill a emu at 10 yards with #5's, and vice versa.

10 chokes? Child's play. Any of them any good? Lots of crap out there. Tight Wad? Crap. Carlson? Crap. Indian Creek? Crap. My Rhino is marginally acceptable. Primos Jellyhaid is my current choke of choice but only because I have not found anything better yet.

Here are photos of what I am printing right now. It's good enough for now, but I'm planning to test more combinations this year. The counts are hits on the sheet over pellets in the shell. Each shell pellet count is an average of 3-4 shells cut open and counted.

I like the eveness of the patterns. Toms don't always stand perfectly still, so a little horizontal pattern is a good thing. It also allows for a follow up shot (yes, it does happen to some of us).

At 30 yards, there would be little left of the paper, and counting pellets would be almost impossible. At 50, there would be 1/2 or less hits. It just seems like the magic distance for my gun is 30-38 yards.

IMG_1553.jpg

Have either of you tried the Federal #7 Heavyweight's,by chance?I ask because few treat patterning like true science that it is.

I don't get your comment. Does one have to try every combination possible to be able to make a comment? I'm guessing that including custom work from the many different choke makers + factory and reloaded ammo, there are maybe tens of thousands of possible choke and shell combinations out there. And that's for just one gun. I have six turkey guns now (down from ten). How many combinations have you tried? I know one thing for sure, I have tried many, but I'll probably never give up looking for the perfect combination.

Yes, I patterned quite a few PHT191F7's last season. At $50-60 per 10, it was somewhat expensive. Being Flitecontrol, I could not use a ported choke, so I went with a Briley non-ported turkey choke for the test. Results were the same as most of my other choke combinations, excellent at 30, poor beyond 40. Actually, the HW7 patterns looked a lot like my Win XR #6 patterns.

I think I killed a Cali tom with those #7's last year. He had no comment as to the effectiveness of the shot. Actually he was speechless :)

thanks for your responses, thus far, AS I have said before, I have spent countless hours, time, and money trying to get the benelli to perform up to half, of the hype, shooting all kinds of shot and choke combos, only to come up disipointed. I know you are suposed to call the bird inside of 40 yds, and if you do, you should be ok with the benelli, but I keep hearing all the tv shows, and people who I come in con-tact with, talking about killing birds out beond 40 yds, all the way out to 70+ yds, PLEASE, with all the new hunters getting into the sport, there is going to be a lot of wounded birds out there. all of my testing, 35 yds or less, and you will be just fine, any thing over that, its get very, very, marginal. I have found that any-thing over 40 yds, and you start to have so many holes in the pattern, that all of the planets will have to line up just right, you get the picture. for all of the new hunters, please know your gun's limits.

On film a lot of the birds getting run down and having a boot on the throat gets edited out.Consistant 40+yd shots are not impossible or rare,but many factors come into play to develop this.The saying "Practice makes perfect" is true but Perfect Practice is golden.This can be witnessed at the Rhino Choke patterning range in Williston Fl(AKA The Field OF Grind)

My goal is not to see how far away I can shoot a bird,I just like knowing that I can without question.When you hunt on your home turf,you can be very conservative as time is on your side.When the cameras are rolling or you are two zipcodes away from home,and you have a plane to catch in the afternoon,and that gobbler is standing at 47yds,knowing feathers will fly is like money in the bank.

It's better for Quaker Boy if I can get him to stand on top of my front bead though!

thanks for your responses, thus far, AS I have said before, I have spent countless hours, time, and money trying to get the benelli to perform up to half, of the hype, shooting all kinds of shot and choke combos, only to come up disipointed. I know you are suposed to call the bird inside of 40 yds, and if you do, you should be ok with the benelli, but I keep hearing all the tv shows, and people who I come in con-tact with, talking about killing birds out beond 40 yds, all the way out to 70+ yds, PLEASE, with all the new hunters getting into the sport, there is going to be a lot of wounded birds out there. all of my testing, 35 yds or less, and you will be just fine, any thing over that, its get very, very, marginal. I have found that any-thing over 40 yds, and you start to have so many holes in the pattern, that all of the planets will have to line up just right, you get the picture. for all of the new hunters, please know your gun's limits.

Good post :)

mudhen, those patterns are what I consider great. I haven't counted pellets in mine but they look like yours. I shoot at 40 yards, measured and marked, and get good even patterns about like yours without holes in them. I'm tickled with that. I wouldn't shoot a bird any farther any way.

I had a different shotgun before my SBEII that I tried all kinds of shell and choke combos and could never dream of patterns like this.

I need to get out my camera and post some pics. But they look about like yours. I think they're great. But I'm a tinkerer and I'm always looking for just a little bit better.

The guys at the gun shop have seen my targets and they say that if a birds close I better aim good or it'll blow by him.

I use hevi #5 31/2 inch with a carlson superfull choke. It patterns 12 pellets at 65 yards. I'm a novice turkey hunter so ill take a shot when I see one. Its doesn't matter if its 20 yards or 60. turkey hunting a little different where I go. Iv'e got the "if its brown its down theory", if I see a turkey,its in the bag.

novaking

....... Best patterning guns I have ever seen have been......just about any 10 gauge pump. I do now own a 10 gauge pump, which might get to see some playing time this year.

Shot size is also a critial issue. I've got guns that love #6's, but can't kill a emu at 10 yards with #5's, and vice versa.

I like the eveness of the patterns. Toms don't always stand perfectly still, so a little horizontal pattern is a good thing. It also allows for a follow up shot (yes, it does happen to some of us).

At 30 yards, there would be little left of the paper, and counting pellets would be almost impossible. At 50, there would be 1/2 or less hits. It just seems like the magic distance for my gun is 30-38 yards.

I can't agree more with MudHen on the key points he makes in his reply!

My patterning experience has been very similar to and like his has not been limited to Benelli's.....two of my best patterning guns at the moment are a Browning Gold 10ga and a TC/Encore shooting 2-3/4" loads! Pattern eveness or patterns without holes is more important to me than the number of pellets in the neck of a turkey target. Maybe the reason "holes" bother me more stems from testing lots of patterns during my sporting clays tournament days....my patterning targets were 30 inch circles filled with orange clay targets and density wasn't as critical as putting several pellets in every clay inside the 30" circle....a different patterning game all together and one I still use for my waterfowl combos.

I also do a lot of experimental reloads using mostly copper or nickle plated lead, typically buffered loads and all sorts of wad configurations. One of the best loads I have ever worked up was a paper hull 16ga 1oz load with no shotcup, just a felt wad and it was shot from 3 different full choke guns (fixed chokes) with similar results. I've also found the old fashioned "roll crimp" loads can pattern better than "crimped" shells.

When testing chokes, loads or gun modifications I seldom pattern beyond 35 yards anymore, occasionally I'll push one out to 40 just for kicks but I'm just not a big believer in shooting turkeys at that distance. When I talk to someone who says he regularly kills turkey's or patterns his guns at 65 yards I immeadiately ask them is to point out an object that is 50 yards away......9 out of 10 times the object they point to is 30-35 yards not 50.

For some reason I think guys find it more impressive to talk about shooting a gobbler at 65 yds.....but to me the mark of a great turkey hunter is the guy who can bring that bird in to 10 yards or less and dropping the hammer!