Super Black Eagle II 3 1/2 Steel

dmbuhan

i dont shoot that black cloud that often, heard it ruins barrels and chokes...:confused:

Hmmm...interesting. This is something I have not heard. Why this more than, say, Hevi-shot? Any more specifics?

This past year I used blackclould BBB on geese with good results through a Cabela's hevi-shot modified choke (which I think is actually IC for lead shot) tube.

I am wondering if there is much experience out there yet with the Kicks Vortex choke tubes.

I shot both the Vortex, and the Kicks Hi-Flyers this year, both to great effect. The vortex is deigned for use with the black cloud ammo, as it doesnt strip the wad like many chokes do. The Hi-flyer is for use with "conventional" ammo. I shoot the Vortex and Hi-flyer IC in the timber with 3" #3's and Use both in MOD with 3 1/2 #2's out in the rice fields. The only issue I've had with any of these combinations is that the Federral Black Cloud has got to be some of the dirtiest stuff I've ever shot. The Fiocchi 31/2" #2's are a heck of a lot cheaper and in my opinion a whole bunch cleaner. And yes, the 3 1/2's kick, but I changed recoil pads and went with the Limbsaver on the SBE II. It makes a world of difference.

Edited by tdaggett

:confused:

Hmmm...interesting. This is something I have not heard. Why this more than, say, Hevi-shot? Any more specifics?

This past year I used blackclould BBB on geese with good results through a Cabela's hevi-shot modified choke (which I think is actually IC for lead shot) tube.

I am wondering if there is much experience out there yet with the Kicks Vortex choke tubes.

i believe its because of the irregular shaped "black cloud" bb's not the regular steel bb's and the way the wad works. i have no backing to my theroy just word of mouth. you might wanna check www.refugeforums.com or www.duckhuntingchat.com is some good infor on it.

i have no backing to my theroy

The best type of theory - one with no backing :D

I've discussed Black Cloud with ATK several times. Black Cloud is not for use with ported chokes. Any steel shot can damage older barrels. Guns blow up for many reasons - defective/wet/dud shells is probably the primary reason for most barrel blow ups.

I've gone through maybe 6-7 cases of BC with no issue. I can only guess how much BC 1200 Wal-Marts sold last year. The stuff works just fine.

I'll side with a company that makes rockets long before I'll listen to a coven of Internet Wizards that probably meet in one of their mom's basements over a root beer and Cheetos:)

The best type of theory - one with no backing

I've discussed Black Cloud with ATK several times. Black Cloud is not for use with ported chokes. Any steel shot can damage older barrels. Guns blow up for many reasons - defective/wet/dud shells is probably the primary reason for most barrel blow ups.

I've gone through maybe 6-7 cases of BC with no issue. I can only guess how much BC 1200 Wal-Marts sold last year. The stuff works just fine.

I'll side with a company that makes rockets long before I'll listen to a coven of Internet Wizards that probably meet in one of their mom's basements over a root beer and Cheetos

hey come on now mudhen!:p weve all heard stuff by word of mouth or rumors. this stuff is no different. ive shot a couple boxes of BC through my nova and havnt had anything go wrong. i just mainly dont shoot it because im poor and dont feel like knowing everyshot i take is $1! if i use 3 1/2's

I shot both the Vortex, and the Kicks Hi-Flyers this year, both to great effect. The vortex is deigned for use with the black cloud ammo, as it doesnt strip the wad like many chokes do. The Hi-flyer is for use with "conventional" ammo. I shoot the Vortex and Hi-flyer IC in the timber with 3" #3's and Use both in MOD with 3 1/2 #2's out in the rice fields. The only issue I've had with any of these combinations is that the Federral Black Cloud has got to be some of the dirtiest stuff I've ever shot. The Fiocchi 31/2" #2's are a heck of a lot cheaper and in my opinion a whole bunch cleaner. And yes, the 3 1/2's kick, but I changed recoil pads and went with the Limbsaver on the SBE II. It makes a world of difference.

Thanks for the info on the Vortex tube. I have not actually heard of anyone (until now) who has used one. Have you put this on the pattern board yet? Just curious.

Also, I agree that Black Cloud is very dirty stuff. After the goose season was over the recoil spring in the buttstock of my SBE II just made a funny crunching noise when retracted. A careful cleaning put it back to right, however.

I think I am going to check out the Vortex tubes this coming season. Any excuse to buy a few more gadgets and trinkets! :D

The Vortex IC shot a very consistent pattern of about 30" at 30 yds. with BlackCloud 3 1/2 #2's. The Vortex MOD was about the same at around 40-45 yds. out of my SBE II.

The Kicks Hi-Flyers shot a slightly wider pattern (35-45") at the same distances with Fiocchi 3 1/2 #2's. I think the wider pattern is largely due to the sheer volume of shot in the Fiocchi shell.

I'm pretty sure that next year I'll stick mainly with the Hi-Flyer and Fiocchi simply because the shells are ten bucks a box cheaper and at least in my estimation fire a lot cleaner. Not to mention they're availble in a 1 9/16 oz. shot load. Thats a LOT of pellets flying.

I've never felt it too bad, but my dad has an 11-87 and it doesn't kick nearly as bad but I don't think it is nearly as fast as the SBE2 or the SBE1 for that matter.

Well, yes, the 11-87 will likely be a softer shooting gun for several obvious reasons, including gas operation and heavier weight etc. I would not want to take the SBE II to the range and stand there and shoot 3.5" loads all day--would be too much. But the only time I ever for sure felt the recoil in the field was when I decided to pull the trigger when the gun was mounted on my upper arm instead of in my shoulder pocket. Ouch! :( (Of course this also resulted in a miss as I was nowhere near lined up).

Also, I prefer the limbsaver aftermarket pad to the ones that Benelli provides. Just my personal preference.