The Science of Busting Clays...???

Caligvla

My grandfather always told me to use the right tool for the job... but...

I am using my M4 to go clay busting. I have pretty good luck but I know the M4 isn't the best tool for the job.

I was wondering what you guys thought of using a tighter choke to compensate for the short 18.5 inch barrel?

I have been using Cylinder so far...

Any other advice that might help besides buy another shotgun...

thanks!

If I may ask

At what distance are you shooting and what type of clays?

Hand thrown? Machine thrown? Shot size?

Trap,Skeet, Sporting Clays or just having some fun in a field?

Tucker is correct with his ballistics, however with shorter barrels you will tend to over swing and at longer distances the pattern will open up faster with a 18.5 " barrel depending on yardages. Most all trap guns are 28 to 34 inch barrels. Many skeet shooters use 26" but even at that 28 and 30 " are becoming more common on skeet and SC courses. It would be a challenge to say the least to hit a target from the 27 yd. line with that short of a barrel and a super full choke. Not impossible, but not easy.

I’m assuming your just hand tossing a few.

By all means try a tighter choke and see if it helps you improve and keep enjoying that M4.

All of the ranges in my area (Los Angeles) won't let you shoot at clays with an 18.5" barrel except one, they have a couple machines setup that shoot out the clays, if I miss em they land about 60 yards away. As far as what I am shooting are usually Fiocchi Super Crushers 7 1/2 1300 velocity or Fiocchi Little Rinos 8 1/2 1250 velocity.

My friend got lucky with the camera and was able to capture me busting a clay mid-air. I really don't know what the **** I am doing, but I am having fun.

IMG_4231_sm.jpg

I don't think its sporting clays either, the clays always have the same trajectory. I honestly don't think it's anything other than moving target practice. The serious places were you can shoot skeet, trap and sporting ban my gun because of the short barrel. So this place just has a couple of machine set up on each side of the range and not may people seem to use them... It's also the same location you have to go to shoot slugs, see those 100 yrd targets off in the distance...

I've used my M4 on the trap range several times. Go with a full choke tube definitely. I usually score a couple less hits than I do with my over-under and it's more fun!

It never fails to get attention. I think people are shocked that I'm beating them with a gun so obviously ill-equipped for shooting trap. :rolleyes:

-Don

If you are shooting skeet,you will have a trap on the left and one on the right throwing clay birds in front of you from right to left and left to right from each trap.

If you are shooting trap they will be going straight from your direction headed away from you,may be some variation in the flight path,depending on how the trap is set up.

In sporting clays you travel to several different stations,similar to a hunting situation.

In five stand there are five different stations with as many as 12 or so different traps throwing birds,you choose which traps throw the birds.You shoot 5 shells and then move to another station.

I have shot all of them here in the local area,though there could possibly be some difference in your area but the basics are the same.

If you are shooting skeet,you will have a trap on the left and one on the right throwing clay birds in front of you from right to left and left to right from each trap.

If you are shooting trap they will be going straight from your direction headed away from you,may be some variation in the flight path,depending on how the trap is set up..

Then it sounds like trap, we only put money in 1 machine however, I have to get better before I start thinking about shooting at targets thrown from both machines.

But yeah the setup is 1 machine on the left and 1 on the right and the clays fly alway from me...

I picked up a full and extra full choke I'll try em out and see if I have better luck.

looks like a very good reason to buy a new gun to me!

seriously, the science behind hitting ANY moving clay target boils down to these;

1.) proper lead

2.) follow thru (smooth swing....longer barrels are better here!)

3.) proper choke for the distance to the target (sometimes cyl, sometimes full....O/U's are nice when two targets are thrown at different distances....with an autoloader I would use modified 90% of the time when shooting Sporting Clays & 5 Stand.....Full for trap.....SKT, SKT2 or CYL for skeet)

Finally "Competition" Trap, Skeet & Sporting Clays shotguns shoot a different POI than most Field or Tactical shotguns so I stick by my first comment.......it's a very good reason to buy a new gun!

I'm by no means an expert clay shooter, but I've always used a full choke in my M4 with great results. You just have to get used to how your gun shoots ... its a much different shooting clays with ghost ring sights, or in my case, an eotech.

Well since my M4 is my first and only shotgun, nothing to get use to about the ghost rings... I really like how they work for me. Does the eotech give you a big advantage over just using the ghost ring site? In general and for busting clays? I have thought about buying one...