Factory Full Choke for Turkeys?

slickbricky

Any opinions on using the factory full choke in a SBEII for turkeys? I'm bringing this up for a few reasons. First, I already have an 870 that is dialed in for turkeys, and don't have the cash to start experimenting with load/choke combos for my new SBEII. But I really want to use it this spring. I won it, couldn't afford to buy it. Second, I called in a jake for my niece last spring and she dropped him at 18 yards with a full choked 20 ga./ 3" #6's. I also ran into a guy while hunting last spring who was using an old Browning A-5 20 ga. He said he had killed half a dozen birds with it and really enjoyed the challenge of getting them in close. I have those same feelings. Having worked in archery shop a few years back, the whole choke/load combo experimentation kind of reminds me of the guys who used to come in absolutely obsessed with arrow speed. It is nice, but not necessary. More important are woodsmanship and shot placement. Anyway, just wondered if anyone had used or considered using Their full choke for toms.

The whole choke and load thing is certainly unnecessary to some. If I had my own turkey property and could hunt every day, I would most likely use the factory full or maybe just a cheapy turkey choke and 2.75" lead #6's.

But the sad fact is that I don't own my own property and cannot hunt every day. I spend thousands of dollars and much precious vacation time chasing these awesome game birds. I've had hunts were the birds worked in the last few minutes of the last day. I had a hunt in Kansas two years ago where it rained almost the entire time I was there. I called in and shot two toms in the only few minutes of partial sun during the whole hunt. These hunts are of my choosing. I choose to bring the most effective equipment I can afford, hence my selection of what I think is effective.

To try to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the factory full would throw a very decent pattern with copper coated or just plain lead #5's or #6's. I bet it might be deadly out to 30-35 yards, maybe further? FF, being a more open choke should tend to prefer larger shot, so maybe even #4's?

At 18 yards, rock salt through a IC would probably work.

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

Shoot it at some paper and see how it shoots.... It may very well be all you need.

If it doesn't satisfy you, You can get a Jellyhead tube for about 30 bucks. That won't break you and It's a great tube for the price. A lot of guys on here have tried it and like it, so you wouldn't have to go through a bunch of tubes.

I'd shoot the factory tube first though. It may be all you need. I know what you mean about wanting to shoot the SBEII this spring. It'd be a shame to leave her home.

my uncle one year forgot to put in his turkey choke before he left for his turkey hunting weekend. He was shooting 3 1/2 #5 but he only had in his IC choke. He patterned it before he went out and he shot a great pattern at 20 yards. So he went out and got a bird that day at 18 yards. So I would say the full choke would be just fine for about 5 depending on the load your shooting.

good luck

novaking

pattern, pattern, pattern with #5's & #6's first at 20, 25, 30 yards......then you might decide to keep your shots inside 30 yards (maybe 25), but heck yeah a factory full choke will work on turkey's...ALL day long. Then when the turkey drops in his tracks jump up and stick your boot on his neck!

......more turkey's are killed by a size 10 boot than ALL shotgun chokes combined!

Usually I would suggest shooting a "hevier than lead" type of load out of a FF choke,but since money is an issue,I would agree on trying some larger shot in 3.5in. Give the #4 and#5 Remington Nitro's a chance.They can be had for less than $10 a box at "The Mart" and have been holding their own at the 30yd mark,which is plenty far away for most people.