Strange Rem choke tubes. What do they do?

LabradorGuy

I was just on the Remington site looking at their new guns for 2008 and noticed this one:

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_TAC_Desert_Recon.asp

The 870 Tac Desert Recon. It seems okay, nothing fancy, then I noticed the choke tube. It's an extended choke drilled full of holes with a serrated tip. They call it the "Tactical" choke (those quote marks are from them, which makes you wonder). Does anyone know what this choke does? Why the holes and serrated tip? It doesn't look like a muzzle break and I've never heard of a flash suppressor on a shotgun. I'm curious.

I've noticed a lot of Mossberg combat pumps have those same muzzle attachments. Mossberg claims it's a door breaching devise and designed just to look "mean". I read some place on Remington's web page that it's helps control muzzle rise. The choke does look very meanish. I figure it's a srcambled egg device (hold muzzle straight up, place egg on muzzle, pull trigger), or a fancy back scratcher. :)

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Those are not pure cosmetic. I can't believe all the tactical junkies on here and nobody knows what they are. LOL. It is a breaching choke. Used to breach doors, locks, glass, chains, etc. It keeps the weapon from blowing back on you. The holes release the gas to keep the weapon from blowing back in your face or damaging the barrel end.

Too bad they didn't have this at SHOT. I would have loved to see it. Well, if they did have it there, I didn't see it anyway.

How does a breaching choke work? Do you jam the muzzle right up against a lock or do you shoot from a distance? I've never heard of such a thing before. I'm very interested, it sounds like fun.

A breaching choke is used in the event that you cannot quickly and safely make it through an obstacle. For example: Your about to enter a building to be cleared, the door is locked, no key available. You place the breaching choke right against the lock, pull the trigger and it blows the lock.

Anytime you use a breaching shotgun, the breach has to be against whatever you are going to remove or destroy to make it into whatever your entry team is going into.

If the breach is not against the object in question, then you have the possiblity of blowback and it could end up injuring somebody or worse.

So jam it into whatever it is you want to get out of your way and pull the trigger. Easy as that.

Hope this helps.

No tellin buddy, no tellin. I am actually fitting one to my Ithaca 37 as we speak. I started the project about 8 months ago lookin for a barrel with one already added, but never came up with one. I first saw the one piece barrel/attachment on the mossberg and thought, Man, I gotta have that. So I been playin with it on my Ithaca for awhile now.

Lakotah,

Overall good information.

One little thing needs correcting.

Breech is indeed a gun part, but is at the other end of the barrel. A classic example of breech loading weapon would be an O/U shotgun.

The choke tube goes on the muzzle.

The breach choke is so named because it is used to breach (break through or severe) an obstacle.

Lakotah,

Overall good information.

One little thing needs correcting.

Breech is indeed a gun part, but is at the other end of the barrel. A classic example of breech loading weapon would be an O/U shotgun.

The choke tube goes on the muzzle.

The breach choke is so named because it is used to breach (break through or severe) an obstacle.

Ya, what you said. LOL. Its also called a standoff device. I meant what you said, but just typed it wrong. Sometimes it gets lost in translation when you type instead of speak.

widely used in military & police "riot" situations to push back a crowd....i.e "Stand-off" tool.

On the end of the muzzle and pushed or shoved into someone on the receiving end it promotes discomfort to the would be bad guy....or angry liberal anti-gun terrorist!! ;)

• 4 months later...

It is a non-lethal compliance tool.

In layman's terms, you can poke the SOB into someone's chest and they will be more inclined to do what you tell them. Worse comes to worse, the holes will bleed off most of the gasses if you end up pulling the trigger in such a situation.

A lot of muzzle-devices are compliance tools, esp. with the AR-15 series weapons.

• 3 months later...

i know this is a fairly old topic, but i happened to find it in a google search...i work at a gun shop and we have a tactical 870 that i only like because of the choke...i have an 870 of my own that i would like to put one of those chokes on...how do i go about getting just that choke tube in the picture toward the start of this thread??

A breaching choke is used in the event that you cannot quickly and safely make it through an obstacle. For example: Your about to enter a building to be cleared, the door is locked, no key available. You place the breaching choke right against the lock, pull the trigger and it blows the lock.

Anytime you use a breaching shotgun, the breach has to be against whatever you are going to remove or destroy to make it into whatever your entry team is going into.

If the breach is not against the object in question, then you have the possiblity of blowback and it could end up injuring somebody or worse.

So jam it into whatever it is you want to get out of your way and pull the trigger. Easy as that.

Hope this helps.

Another note, these are ONLY used with a special "powdered" lead or sintered iron load. That way when it transits through the door, it is nothing but dust on the other side, no shot to injure any one inside. These are used by the entry man on a SWAT team, for high risk entry.

• 10 months later...

Royal Arms International.com makes and sells breacher chokes that attach to choked barrels. An adapter is needed to mount the Breacher onto barrel and the adapter installs in the barrel after removing the regular choke.

You can also buy a new barrel with attached permanent breacher. $325.