Best Hearing Protection

Caligvla

cheap ear canal plugs and ear muffs will give you great protection and will not break the bank! worked for me for 20 years around jet engine turbo props and most of the time it was cheap foammy ear canal plugs and Dave Clark headset but i aslo used just cheap ear muffs and i do have a little hearing left! If it is good enough for jet engines it's good enough for range, but important on who they put next to ya and what they will be shooting!!

Hey guys & gal I am looking to buy some new earmuffs.

Who makes the best to protect my ears?

I don't care about electronic stuff,

Just want to protect my ears as much as possible at the indoor range.

What do all teh Db NRR numbers mean?

Not being judgmental, but when I notice a thread titled, “Best Hearing Protection”, and then went on to read a little further you didn’t want to consider, “electronic stuff”, your explanation of what you were looking for seemed a little at odds with the subject of the title.

There are many good choices in the marketplace for hearing protection, as well as explanations of the interpretation of sound measurements. Personally, I enjoy the "electronic stuff" (Swat-TAC II) as I use my M4 and other weapons outside. However, I understand your needs are different.

The following link by the folks who distribute, “Peltor”, (my first choice of product lines) in North America may be helpful to you in sorting things out:

http://www.e-a-r.com/hearingconservation/faq_main.cfm

Regardless I wish you good hunting; both for targets as well as the technology which best suits your needs and budget.

The most important thing here is to wear them. There's plenty of good choices, but even the most expensive wont help if you don't wear them.

The higher the db or NRR, the better they are.

I had a pair of $8.99 Wal Mart ones forever that were like 27 NRR. I moved up to a $40.00 foldup set with NRR of 29. Ones about as good as the other. Both do great job and will protect my hearing. The newer ones look cooler and now I have a spare pair if I take a friend.

I think the $8.99 are made by North, and the $40 pair are Silenco. They probably aren't the best. But they get the job done. And the main thing is, I wear them.

Not being judgmental, but when I notice a thread titled, “Best Hearing Protection”, and then went on to read a little further you didn’t want to consider, “electronic stuff”, your explanation of what you were looking for seemed a little at odds with the subject of the title.

There are many good choices in the marketplace for hearing protection, as well as explanations of the interpretation of sound measurements. Personally, I enjoy the "electronic stuff" (Swat-TAC II) as I use my M4 and other weapons outside. However, I understand your needs are different.

The following link by the folks who distribute, “Peltor”, (my first choice of product lines) in North America may be helpful to you in sorting things out:

http://www.e-a-r.com/hearingconservation/faq_main.cfm

Regardless I wish you good hunting; both for targets as well as the technology which best suits your needs and budget.

Perhaps I don't fully understand the advantage of electronic muffs, they allow you to hear people talking and some can get FM radio etc. I don't really care to hear anything at all, I just want to protect my ears. To the electronic muffs block out more sound than the non electronic muffs? What if the batteries run out while I am shooting?

Guest Cajunkraut
Perhaps I don't fully understand the advantage of electronic muffs, they allow you to hear people talking and some can get FM radio etc. I don't really care to hear anything at all, I just want to protect my ears. To the electronic muffs block out more sound than the non electronic muffs? What if the batteries run out while I am shooting?

The Peltor electronic muffs are ideal for tactical, instruction, and professional applications where either transmitted and/or standard verbal communication (depending on model) is necessary.

Their NRR is comparable to the common brands, and they default to full-time noise reduction when the batteries fail.

As previously mentioned, double ear protection, to include "foamies" and the highest NRR muffs you can find for your budget are fine.

I would suggest one of the following:

1) Peltor H10A with a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 29 which is excellent.

2) Howard Leight LM-777 with a NRR of 31, again an excellent rating.

Well I went with #2, what a HUGE difference from my $5.00 Big 5 muffs, and really comfortable too! Maybe the best $20.00 I have spent in this hobby...

Thanks for the advice...