Question about my Experience ordering a SBEII

c10250

I went into my local gun shop the other day to pick out an SBE II. They had a single camo one left. After looking at it I noticed that there was a chip about 2 inches from the end of the barrel. The chip wasn’t that small, definitely noticeable. You could easily see the silver of the barrel under it.

While I’m definitely not a perfectionist, and realize that after a couple of times out, I too will probably have small chips, I figure if you’re spending that kind of money on a gun, it should be about as perfect as you can get. I decided to ask if he could either order a new gun, or cut me a break on the existing gun. He said he would order a new gun for me and call me when it’s in. I put a down payment on the gun.

My question is this: Can a dealer just order a single gun from Benelli? I though they had to order in bulk. Also, if he does order a new gun, will he wind up with a 2008 model? I’m assuming that the “last” gun in stock was a 2007 model. I’m just curious.

Ken

My question is this: Can a dealer just order a single gun from Benelli? I though they had to order in bulk. Also, if he does order a new gun, will he wind up with a 2008 model? I’m assuming that the “last” gun in stock was a 2007 model. I’m just curious.

Ken

c, Yes, a dealer can order 1 of anything for the most part. As far as it being a 2008 model, it is unlikely! Any Benelli in the USA right now was more than likely made in 2007. Your "dealer" may not even be buying directly from the manufacturer sometimes there is a wholesaler or distributor involved....this is why Bass Pro or Cabela's will have better prices than "Bubba's Gun Shop" on some models. The big boys buy in volume and usually directly from the source and the little guys go thru distribution or wholesalers.

Was the person the owner or manager of the shop? If not, I'd go back and ask to speak with the owner or manager and ask him to knock 10% off because of the "scratched" camo, you might just get a better deal. Sounds like a little "testers" model paint would cover the flaw and it certainly isn't going to be a bad shooter as a result of some cosmetic issues.

Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I got a little better deal on the gun from my dealer (GAT GUNS in IL) than from Cabellas. They sell quite a bit though.

The person that dealt with me probably wasn't the owner, but definitely in a managerial position. I was kind of suprised when they didn't work with me on the price.

There is a "mom & pop" gun shop near me that used to have very high prices on everything. When a Bass Pro and a Gander Mountain moved into the area his prices dropped significantly! He will often have prices around 10% below the big boys now but when the biggies have one of those "spring" or "fall" sales dear old Ron can't come close.

My advice on buying a new gun....don't get in a rush, shop around and remember there is almost always a sale coming up!!!

NEVER give a dealer a down payment on an order without an agreed upon firm delivery date!... NEVER!

Your order may work out well, but I've seen too many horror stories to risk it any other way.

Most of my recent purchases have been through online retailers and dealers who did have the piece in hand and ready to ship.

Your dealer has no clue how long the order will take, and now that he has your money, he really doesn't care.

Yes, he should have offered you $30 off the in stock gun and gone that route.

Yes, you will chip a cmoed fairly quickly if you use it at all.

A bottle of touch-up camo paint is good to have around.

good points "tuck".....i think i would have shopped around if the guy wasn't willing to knock a little off due to "cosmetic" damage! thats just me, good luck c10250 and let us know how it all turns out.

btw-many small "mom & pop" dealers will almost always ask for a deposit before they will order a gun but like "tuck" said, i'd have him call Benelli and ask when it can be expected to arrive.

fullbore, there are several "mom & pops" in my area here in ohio who are NOT authorized Benelli dealers but they order and sell Benelli guns all the time....one that I know of personally said he buys thru a wholesale distributor in the Dayton area. i'm not in the business myself, maybe you are and know more about it than i do and maybe these "mom & pops" are buying from an authorized dealer and not a wholesaler??? My comments were based on my experience with my Benelli purchases and what these sellers told me.