Help me decide on SBE II

travis13

An SBE II is the shotgun I have been wanting for a while. Well I finally got the money to buy one and I have done all the research, all I have to do is pull the trigger. My only other options are the Browning Silver and Winchester SX3. This will be a turkey hunting gun with clays and dove thrown in the mix. I am already on the Benelli side, I just need you guys to push me a little more.

Travis, I have a SX2 and have handled the SX3 and can tell you the mechanics are the same but the ergonomics work they did to the SX3 gives it a much better feel. The Browning Silver is a lot a like the SX3, some subtle differences but again same mechanics. None of these are bad guns.

Browning and Winchester are obviously gas operated and all available in 3 1/2". The SBEII is also a 3 1/2" gun but interia driven, good proven system too.

All these guns come with shims to tailor the fit. You really need to lay them all side by side and pick which one fits you the best, and also fits your budget. The only wrong choice here is no choice.

My choice SX3 3 1/2" in MODB, take extra the cash you would have spent on the SBE and buy a lot of deeks, calls, or what every you need. Gonna get killed here for this reccomendation, oh well. Its just an opinion..

Thank you very much. I have never held the Silver or SX3. There is a gun show in Tenn today, so hopefully I can shoulder all three. The SX3 would be my next choice followed by the Silver. I just hope they have the SBE II and SX3 in 24" barrel models. I might just get a glock with the money saved from the SX3, if I decide to go that route. The only thing that steers me away from the SX3 is the gas system, I am a stickler about cleaning and the inertia system seems so easy to clean.

I don't know too much about the SX3 but I own a SBE2 and have owned previous SBE's and Super 90's. I recommend either buying a used Super 90 (don't know that anyone really needs a 3.5 inch anymore especially w/ heavy shot ammo.) or a used older SBE. SBE2's in my opinion are way overpriced. As I stated earlier I have a SBE2 (had to keep up with the "in crowd") and can't tell any difference in performance btwn it and the older SBE. Good luck..Randy

O boy, once you own a SBE II. The rest of the guns are just that, guns. I was talked into getting a SBE II. bUT, because of some things I had herd and experianced with a SBE I.(they were not good) I am very glad I got the SBE II as it is one fine gun. I have owned or shot every 3 1/2" made and it does not get any better than the SBE II. I mite add that the others are not bad either. Just not as good as the SBE II.

SBEII to me is a Waterfowl MONSTER and using it for other applications is possible but find a Range gun to be a whole different critter, as in a O/U or SBS which is the preferred Range/Upland choice. Do not get me wrong it will do it all but i have used it for clays and was limited to one shell in chamber on Trap and only 2 for clays, just a range master rule and caused carrpel tunnel trying to load all the time. My SBE II has NEVER malfunctioned so if ya break it in correctly it should shoot anything and for me it has shot everything!! would take it bird hunting in a heart beat but would rather have a Browning Cynergy Range O/U for upland and range shooting!!

Before I bought my SBEII, I shoulder the Browning Silver and onced owned the SX2. The SX2

, I used it only for waterfowl hunting and I will say this, it did not perform well at all. The Browning Silver, I was ready to purchase this gun, until a friend of mine convinced me to buy the SBEII and use it strictly for waterfowling hunting, which I did and don't even regret it. Buy a Remington Super Mag.

trav, my gas guns are Beretta 390's and a Browning Gold 10ga they are not a big deal to clean but I don't know anything about the gas system in the SX2 or SX3. However, I bet it isn't much different than any other gas system. The piston can get grimey after several hundred rounds and a good soak in solvent or hot soapy water takes care of the grime!

The SBE2 a GREAT gun and is a much better waterfowl gun (in my opinion) but I do use mine on turkey's from time to time....however, like others here have said....for clays, dove and turkey season I'd get a gas operated gun and not look back!

Good Luck.