SBE barrel problems

rlandry

Has this happened to any one. While duck hunting, my barrel flew right off of my gun when I fired it. The ring that holds the barrel on (the ring that slides over the mag tube) disconnected from the barrel, the solder joint failed. I called Benelli USA (I got through right away) they were freindly and gave me a return authorization number to send it in. They gave me a 4 week turn around, it has only been a few days so far. I have had the fire arm about 4 years, I have fired about 1500 rounds of Fast Steel 3 1/2 1 3/8 oz of #3 shot, 1550 fps. Up until this I have had no problems with the gun. When I started searching the net to see if any one else has encountered this problem, I'm discovering that the SBE (which is what I have), not the SBEII was plaqued with problems. This is my favorite hunting gun and do not plan on getting rid of it. I just wanted some feed back both pos and neg. Thnx in advance.

i have a couple of SBE's and this is the first I've heard of this problem....i don't shoot as much 3-1/2" with my guns as you seem to but i would expect the gun to shoot hundreds of thousands of rounds without a "weld" failure! The barrel lugs should be welded not soldered..........do you have any idea what year this gun was produced??? You say you had it about 4 years, did you buy it new?

The SBE II has a new magazine ring. The brazing area is about twice as long. A SBE II forearm will fit a SBE, but the SBE will not fit the SBE II because of the upgade. The forearm can be upgraded(cut plastic). I wonder if they upgrade any problem SBE's when returned seperated? Also I assume they braze as any other method would damage barrel.