SBEII Point of Impact?

DuckBoss

My SBEII shoot's too high for me. I have adjusted the shim's provided by Benelli, tried a different larger front bead and still the gun shoot's high. I know alot of you guy's will say that is what you want and that it what it's supposed to do, but it's just not working for me. I have shot Remington my whole life and it's very very hard for me now tryin to get used to aiming at the tail of a duck as he is cupping in, instead of putting the bead on his bill and shooting! I have talked with Briley and I may have to send my barrel to them so they can make some eccentric choke tubes for me which will change my point of impact. Please let me know if any of you guy's have had this issue or how you may have dealt with it. Thank's!

DuckBoss

Big issue for some. More so when Benelli went to a higher vent rib. My older flat rib 1991 SBE with the D shim was perfect for me. Still is.

For my high-shooting 2005 SBE II, I took the A shim, ground it down, and used it with the C shim to get a poor man's D shim effect. It works fine.

I don't use the bead for waterfowl, so changing the shims works fine for me.

How high is high??? i'd like to see a Target.before letting anyone work on my barrel....what choke? what shot!!!Range?? i had the same problem..till i shim'd it ..Dude...take it to a gun smith...hopefully he'll have somewhere you can shoot it and he'll make adjustments on the drop for you...don't let anyone do anything to the Barrel.., i panic too when my SBE2 was shooting high...so just be patient..take it to a gunsmith and he will get you on the paper...and it won't cost much...goodluck let me know ,if i can help...Honkers41

Honkers, it's pretty high! About 8-10 inches higher then my Remington. All standard crio-chokes, improved cylinder, modified both shot high! The 25-30 yard range is what I am patterning at. Shooting all different steel. Mostly Federal's Ultra-Shock #4's,2's,BB's. And yes I have already shimmed it. Still shoot's high. I may end up taking it to a gunsmith. Thank's for the info.

BoJack, go away

Have you addressed your LOP with a pad or shim to increase you LOP? This could be only real thing to check other than sending back to Benelli to check barrel? Short stocks will cause this and only way to fix is fixing LOP!

Length of Pull - The length of pull or LOP is measured from the forward face of the trigger to the end of the butt plate or butt pad. It should be measured to the point halfway between the heel (top) and the toe (bottom) of the butt plate.

LOP is considered a very important measurement for any stock because the length of the buttstock will greatly affect how well you can hold your rifle and how well you will shoot.

If the LOP is too short, you will tend to pull your shots to the right if you are a right-hand shooter. If the LOP is too long, the rifle will tend to ride upward and outward during recoil which will usually make you shoot low and to the left if you are a right-hand shooter. Reverse these directions if you are a left-hand shooter.

For the air gun shooter, correct LOP can be determined by placing the buttstock along your forearm. Slip your trigger finger onto the trigger and the rest of your fingers around the pistol grip or wrist just like you would do if you were shouldering the rifle. Look down and see if the face of the butt plate or butt pad rests against your biceps.

If it is just touching the surface of your biceps then the LOP is very close to being correct. You can further test for a correct LOP by shouldering the rifle and relaxing your right arm and letting your elbow drop as low as possible without being uncomfortable. Your elbow should be approximately in the centreline of the side of your body.

If it's too far forward the LOP is too long. If it's too far rearward, the LOP is too short. These tests are just initial indicators of correct LOP. Because of variations in shooting styles you may still need to lengthen or shorten the buttstock to gain a correct fit.

If you suspect the LOP is too short, you can experiment by using masking tape to affix pieces of 1/8" thick cardboard to the butt to see if this improves your hold. If the LOP is too long you can remove the butt plate or butt pad and see if this helps.

Before cutting a buttstock to adjust LOP I would suggest referencing a few gunsmithing manuals to find out the correct tools for the job. Cutting a buttstock to shorten the LOP is not a difficult job but it does require specific tools and some specific knowledge on how to properly refit the butt plate so it will look correct.

Whatever changes you make, remember to test them out thoroughly before making them permanent.

Back to section list

Plain and simple, the Italian guns sight differently from what most of us are used to.

I went from a Remngton 870 to the SBEII and missed a lot of birds before I got wise to this fact.

Whereas most Americans like to cover the target with the barrel, the Europeans like to see the target fully visible above the bead.

If you'll make the adjustment in your sight picture and give it some time, I think you'll find that you like the idea of being able to fully see the target when firing.

My typical sight picture shows about half the rib with the top bead stacked over the middle bead, with the full target above the front bead.

tucker, I think you hit it on the head. The Italian gun's are made that way. I spoke with someone from Benelli and they told me Benelli's are set up to shoot 60/40. You should be able to see the target completly when shooting. I have had my gun for 2 season's now and have missed more bird's then ever. Very hard switching from an 1187 to this gun. It is a way of shooting I have tried to get used to but still having a hard time getting it down.

Plain and simple, the Italian guns sight differently from what most of us are used to.

I went from a Remngton 870 to the SBEII and missed a lot of birds before I got wise to this fact.

Whereas most Americans like to cover the target with the barrel, the Europeans like to see the target fully visible above the bead.

If you'll make the adjustment in your sight picture and give it some time, I think you'll find that you like the idea of being able to fully see the target when firing.

My typical sight picture shows about half the rib with the top bead stacked over the middle bead, with the full target above the front bead.

Excellent reply Tucker :)

If you watch Tom Knapp's videos, you can clearly see where he is aiming when he releases the shot.

I'm actually pretty hooked on the rising shot for turkeys. I pattern my guns using the line where the feathers meet the neck skin. Using a B shim, the shot pretty much rips into the head area. That way I can see the bird's head all the way up to the shot.

I agree Benelli does set their guns to shoot high. for us American hunters..this is'nt the only forum, i've heard complaints....they set them up for the average Joe...and most guys have trouble setting them up...It is'nt the Lop....its the drop...the angle of the barrel to the stock....i had the same problem...i set the gun to its lowiest drop and shot a Kickhigh flyer with number4's Blackcloud and it shot a great pattern. i wanted to set it up for my waterfowling loads,i did'nt like the Trulock chokes that came with it...just not my likeing....i shot everything from BBB to dove shot and many chokes later...after it was setup off too the claybird range...Fullchoke and 7 1/2 shot...i shot it...dead on....had my brother inlaw shoot it....dead on.....we were done...took sometime and shells and a few chokes,but now the guns Dead on....!!!Honkers41

So what are the different LOP Pads for? Drop is not the only adjustment that affects shooting high! LOP should be done first and then ya might get back on board!

Checking your shotgun barrels, choke and cartridge performance

In the same way that a well-tuned and zeroed rifle allows you to shoot well with confidence, a properly patterned shotgun will enable you to do likewise, with important animal welfare outcomes. Patterning your shotgun is essential to determine for yourself that it is performing as it should. Some guns produce oval rather than round patterns, which can reduce margins of error in forward or vertical lead allowances. If gun fit is incorrect, the point-of-aim and point of delivery will be at variance. Stocks that are too short will cause you to shoot high and long stocks will tend to shoot low. High combs cause the gun to shoot to the left and/or high, low combs to the right and/or low. A proper length of stock with a high comb is deliberately incorporated in trap guns, which are used on rising targets where the upward (forward) lead would normally obscure the target with the barrel end, and where shooting high automatically provides that extra forward allowance. The comb is made thinner to stop the gun shooting to the left.

Remember that your shotgun has no rear-sight and that this is replaced by your eye position and in turn by the position of your face on the comb of the stock. Patterning your shotgun will help reveal gun fit errors. A shotgun should be fired with both eyes open, with your dominant eye focused on the target, with the shotgun subliminally interposed in the gun-fit-mounted position. Importantly, if you shift your focus to the gun barrel at any time you will miss the target. This is called rifling the shotgun. Not a wakeman article!!

See as of right now the original gel pad supplied(14-3/8) seem's to be to large for me. I am in the process of ordering the 14 right now. Last season my pad had fallen off during a duck hunt and I lost it. Since I had to order a new one and we were going to be duckin the next couple days I bought a limbsaver slip on pad which was much shorter the then supplied gel pad that came with the gun. Anyway's I did'nt think about it till now but I shot alot better having the shorter libsaver pad on. Would this make any sense? And also last night I was playing once again with my shim's and I had the most aggresice shim© in the gun that would give the stock the most drop. After mounting and mounting the gun I realized I have to atually pick my head up more to even see the rib which I am guessing could also cause we to shoot even higher. What do you guy's think?

Well anyways...Benelli sets their guns up for the average size guy...i think its 5'7" 160 lbs etc...i've yet to talk to anyone that has a SBE2 and they had to adj thier LOP because it was hitting high..i can't believe this gun is hitting that high out of the box unless he has some bad habits shooting or the drop is so far off..i've changed my recoil pad, because when shoulding the gun it was hitting my parka and i was was'nt getting it planted...it did'nt change my point of impact at all..like i said Drop has to be changed and it sounds like this guy needs a gunsmith to set him up..all adjustments that i've seen were Cast or Drop...just my 2 cents...Honkers41

Duck had the same problem...took my Duck loads and Geese and Dove and went to the pattern board...Tried Trulock,Kicks and Briley chokes.. 3 inch mags and 3,5 mag,.shot a few times gun shot all loads high....shimmed, Shim C most drop...BINGO!!!!! perfect pattern....i shot from 20 to 40 useing all loads and chokes..anyways to end a long story...it was imporant for me to pattern this gun...i'm a serious waterfowler and i wanted to know what it would do..i spent 2 hours pattern this gun and now its done..cause i know what Duckboss is going threw....and its frustrating..Honkers41