Strut-Stopper Xtreme tip

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

If you are looking for a little improvement in your SSX tube,try using a brake cylinder hone and some fluid(flex-hone) to remove the roughness in the "grooves" inside the tube untill you have a mirror finish.Most of the tubes are fine out of the box,but I had some extra time and product on hand,and decided to do some R&D.Please get back to me if you have similar results(especially in non-Benelli guns)

Happy Shooting!

quake...it's a little know fact that highly polished chokes do NOT pattern a well as chokes that have a rough finish! This is why some choke companies do not "polish" their chokes and use porting to help "grab" the wad.....forcing cones are a different story but researchers found rough choke surfaces actualling increased pellet count in patterns!

there is a book written decades ago called the "mysteries of shotgun patterns" by oberfell & thompson and in their research a lot of these issues were uncovered. if you can find a copy i recommend getting it and saving yourselves lots of time and money trying to reinvent the wheel....another outstanding book from the mid 1970's in Bob Bristers "Shotgunning - The Art & Science". This is a must read for any waterfowler, turkey hunter of hand loader....it covers chokes and loads in great detail and has tons of pattern info and pics. In fact, it was from this book that I learned about the "mysteries of shotgun patterns" research and both are worth their weight in gold, in my opinion!

maybe the guys who designed the SSX tube have read these books, too and made their chokes with groves or a rougher surface on purpose?!?! ;)

The guy who designed this tube's name is Mark Bansner.We discussed this topic and he gave me some food for thought.There are two sides to the great debate,the ones who want the wad to strip away from the shot as quickly as possible,and the ones who want the wad to stay with the shot as long as possible.The funny thing that was brought to my attention is that the choke companies are designing tubes that acomplish the goal of group one,and ammo manufacturers are begining to design shells with the idea of keeping the wad with the shot charge(ie Flitecontrol from Federal) A trip back to the drawing board was in order once that technology and the data that comes with it has started to show that the answer lies in the hybrid of old and new school practices. The catylist for his epiphany was the advent of Federal Flightcontrol wads,and the mysterious Heavyweight #7 shot,hence the .643 dia. of the tube. All this ends up on a lonley patterning range in the cool of Feb. with endless possibilities. As for myself,no expense will be spared in the quest.Fortunatly,I have great support in the industry behind me who understand the importance of what the grind provides

on a side note,check out some of Mark Bansner's work.He is one of the most respected gunsmith's in the world.This guy's talent is magical.

quake, i'm familar with Mr. Bansner and his area of expertise at least the last 30 years has been making custom rifles......i also own some of his turkey chokes as well as some designed by Mr. Pittman. A few years ago when I was working a lot of Deer & Turkey Expo's around the country I had a chance to meet both Mark and Preston and talk "Turkey" and turkey chokes. ;)

I'm also familar with the Federal Flightcontrol wad but keep in mind this isn't new technology either! These type of wads have been used by handloaders for decades, Federal just launched a "marketing campaign" behind their "new" wad.

Federal also claims you don't need a tightly constricted choke for the "Flightcontrol" wads to work.....so why would you use a .643" choke??? I've followed Federals advice when these shells first hit the market and found their flightcontrol shells pattern better with a full choke (.690"-.695") than a .660" or .670" Turkey choke!

Give that a try next time you hit the pattern board with those Federal Flightcontrol's.

QuakerBoy

I am testing the Federal 3 1/2 mag #5 2 1/4 oz Flite control load in my Nova and to date chokes more open than the .665 haven't patterned as well as the .665

I did try a .675 and the .665 is working better.

I intend to try tighter than .665 and compare but haven't gotten to it yet.

And I probably will polish one of the chokes and just see what that does, for the heck of it. I have had that work better in one of my guns.....but I guess, as a person would suspect....trial and on paper with what ever combination will show what works with a particular gun.

I don't think it's ever wrong to suggest trying some different things and who knows.....just might work in a particular gun. Thanks for suggesting what you did.....it's worth a try with the Flite control .

Paul

10Ga.,thanks for your questions,I always enjoy talking with you.

I'm trying each sceneraio out. The ribs run front to back like straight rifling and are about a 1/4 in wide.I just removed the extremely rough finish on the ribs.I left the other one stock,and I'm just for kicks going to ream out the other completely to .655 just to see what it's like,I just have to be presice so that the data is true.I like how long the tube is and how long the parallel surface area is for the charge to ride on.This tube sits 2" out of the muzzle. Thanks ppro for your imput,I wish you the best and hope you return to talk turkey with us!

10Ga.,thanks for your questions,I always enjoy talking with you.

I'm trying each sceneraio out. The ribs run front to back like straight rifling and are about a 1/4 in wide.I just removed the extremely rough finish on the ribs.I left the other one stock,and I'm just for kicks going to ream out the other completely to .655 just to see what it's like,I just have to be presice so that the data is true.I like how long the tube is and how long the parallel surface area is for the charge to ride on.This tube sits 2" out of the muzzle. Thanks ppro for your imput,I wish you the best and hope you return to talk turkey with us!

Straight ribs always intrique me...I have a hastings paradox barrel on one of my a5's and the choke has straight ribs too! It shoots the federal shells exceptionally well w/665" tube but the 640" tube is best with 7.5 lead. Keep us posted on your testing!

A friend uses that same choke in his remington for waterfowl but he is shooting 2's and BIGGER mostly steel as well....it patterns well with the big stuff from what he tells me...I've only seen it in action and he kills birds with it!

I hope it warms up in ohio soon...I want to test some chokes and new loads!!!!

Our weather has been crazy.Right now at 9:30pm its 42degrees out and dropping.Mild for most places,but Florida? The wind has been whipping all day too.

All the time indoors gives you time to think of ways to make your patterning sessions more productive.

I want to hire a lad to run my targets back and forth at my sessions and fill out the info on them before doing so.I'd make him a "team" shirt and even let him pick up the hulls.lol;)

I want to hire a lad to run my targets back and forth at my sessions and fill out the info on them before doing so.I'd make him a "team" shirt and even let him pick up the hulls.lol;)

sounds like a good job for an illegal immigrant????;)

it was 9degrees here in ohio this morning when I rolled out of bed....low 20's right now! it isn't showing any signs of warming for a couple more weeks and i'm getting cabin fever really really bad! Spending 6 days in houston texas didn't help me much, weather was nice but i was working not having fun with a shotgun?!?!

We are getting mixed reports of serious gobbling activity,and that is getting me jacked up.Opening day is March 15 for me.Once this cool front passes through, then it will be time to put the ears on.

i would be scouting this weekend if our season started in 2 weeks....lucky dog!!!