New SBE Disappointment

Matchshot

Has anyone else been disappointed with a new Super Black Eagle just out of the box?

I saved, ordered and bought a left handed SBE II last week at Cabelas. Brought it home and started to assemble it out of the box. The forearm was so tight, I could could not get off the magazine tube. I was able to put the barrel on by sliding it all the way forward but when I tried to seat the barrel against the top of the receiver, there was an 1/8" gap that wouldn't close. On top of this the receiver was dinged through the Camo to the metal on two small spots on the side of the receiver. The gun is going to get dinged with use, of course, but I want to ding my own gun. Especially one this expensive. Am I ever let down.

I am driving up to return it today, question is, do I get another or do I punt and buy something else? The 11-87 are on sale for half the price of the SBE's...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matchshot I feel your pain. I too bought a LH SBE2 and felt dissapointment after purchase and use. The forearms are notorious for being too tight. I've had a couple of problems with mine not striking the primer hard enough to fire the shell (I've cleaned all parts of the bolt totally) and having problems putting the trigger group back into the receiver (I had to use a rubber mallet to pound it in). I'm not totally trashing the SBE2. I think the the SBE/SBE2 is best 3.5 inch shotgun on the market. That being said with the introduction of newer "heavy shot" type ammunition I'm not so sure you even need a 3.5 inch 12 gauge. If you feel that you really do buy a 10 gauge. I've taken heat for saying this before but I think the Benelli's in general are way over priced (try selling one at a GM or Cabela's and you will see what I mean LH or RH it doesn't matter). People (myself included) go for all the hype of the ID shhoting system and are willing to pay the big bucks. I still use my SBE2 for waterfowl hunting but revert to my 11/87 or Citori for all other hunting. Take Care....Randy

Matchshot I feel your pain. I too bought a LH SBE2 and felt dissapointment after purchase and use. The forearms are notorious for being too tight. I've had a couple of problems with mine not striking the primer hard enough to fire the shell (I've cleaned all parts of the bolt totally) and having problems putting the trigger group back into the receiver (I had to use a rubber mallet to pound it in). I'm not totally trashing the SBE2. I think the the SBE/SBE2 is best 3.5 inch shotgun on the market. That being said with the introduction of newer "heavy shot" type ammunition I'm not so sure you even need a 3.5 inch 12 gauge. If you feel that you really do buy a 10 gauge. I've taken heat for saying this before but I think the Benelli's in general are way over priced (try selling one at a GM or Cabela's and you will see what I mean LH or RH it doesn't matter). People (myself included) go for all the hype of the ID shhoting system and are willing to pay the big bucks. I still use my SBE2 for waterfowl hunting but revert to my 11/87 or Citori for all other hunting. Take Care....Randy

I'm sure you do feel his pain, the pain of not being familiar with your firearm. It's this lack of knowledge that leads to the full used guns racks. Guns are mere machines. Did you check the nut behind the gun :confused:

No rubber mallet is required to reassemble a Benelli. You just don't know how to put your gun back together. My guess is that you didn't depress the carrier latch, as required, and that the rubber mallet pounding did it for you. Next thing we will hear is "my carrier latch is broken and Benelli is junk".

I don't belive one word of the original poster's post. I suspect he 'dinged' the camo film himself when he tried to force the gun together and now he's off to blame some poor 18 y.o. kid for his own ignorance. Could be that the gun was assembled improperly before though, so the return could be justified, but I doubt it. As to the 1/8" gap, the guy simply does not know how to reassemble his gun. It's that gap that causes the light strikes I suspect.

Go ahead and flame me. I don't care. I'm tired of new guys, who don't know their arse from a hole in the ground, coming on here and ragging on Benelli with their first post.

I agree with Tucker. Buy something else. You don't deserve a Benelli......

From what I am reading you are trying to take forearm off barrel. It belongs on barrel to install on reciever. All the way forward(on magazine RING) is where it belongs. Your seem to be using the words tube and ring as meaning the same part, they are not. The last 1/4 inch of installation might require making sure top and bottom reciever are together(the horz. joint) before the final seating (vert. joint) of the top reciever. You might be better with another brand.

I have two SBE(left hand) and two SBE(righthand) for over 18 years and never had a problem.

Mudhen...I have read the owners manual and yes I did press the carrier latch. I only had to use the mallet the first time I took the shell carrier out. I'm NOT trashing Benelli's I just don't think they are the greatest thing on earth like some of you guys. I guess that I should suspect your typical response on a Benelli website. Go over to a Glock website and most of the usual crowd there thinks Glocks are the best, go to the Sig forum the same BS. I'm giving my honest experience with this particular SBE 2. I had problems with an earlier SBE2 with a stiff safety (so did many others). It's obvious though by looking at how many posts you have made that you live on this site and think there the greatest. I hope you have a good life. I don't think I'll post here anymore smarta-- comments from people like you ruin a site.

I thought everything mudhen wrote, but I knew it would be pointless in posting it.

A lot easier to simply suggest that you move on to another brand.

Your response to his reply was pretty much as predicted.

There's really no nice and effective way to tell people like you that they are clueless as to what they're doing.

Cemetary catches a few each year, but many more just plunder on with little further notice or impact.

www.mossberg.com

Mercy...he did'nt even put it together yet or shoot it...and he's ready to take it back.....anyways to answer your question...No...i'm not disappointed with my SBE2 had since Dec2007 shot it over 400 times already, even killed some Geese with it...its a great gun...and yes it was alittle tight in the begginning..but things do have to be broken in...Honkers41

Mudhen...I have read the owners manual and yes I did press the carrier latch. I only had to use the mallet the first time I took the shell carrier out. I'm NOT trashing Benelli's I just don't think they are the greatest thing on earth like some of you guys. I guess that I should suspect your typical response on a Benelli website. Go over to a Glock website and most of the usual crowd there thinks Glocks are the best, go to the Sig forum the same BS. I'm giving my honest experience with this particular SBE 2. I had problems with an earlier SBE2 with a stiff safety (so did many others). It's obvious though by looking at how many posts you have made that you live on this site and think there the greatest. I hope you have a good life. I don't think I'll post here anymore smarta-- comments from people like you ruin a site.

Don't post up if you can't handle the replies :)

I own Glocks, Berettas, Benellis, Rugers, Weatherbys, S&Ws, Sigs, a butt load of Brownings, and I post my experiences, good or bad, about each brand.

Bye :D

The only thing I would use a rubber mallet on is a PETA member. if you use it on a shotgun, you are doing something wrong. Not only do guns have a break in period, they have a 'familiarization' period. It takes a few times, go slow. Put it down and walk away from it if you have to, don't beat on it for God's sake.

I appreciate the followup on my original post. Actually the gun really was dinged and I figure when you are paying as much as you do for a SBE, it should be pretty close to perfect. If I mess it up, it is my responsibility.

Anyway, I returned it, Cabelas had another in stock. They assembled it there, I looked it over and I brought it home.

I am delighted. I got the gun I am going to use for many years and I got the best.

They will be a little tough the first few times until the camo film wears off . I scraped it a little at the joints. The camo will scratch and nick, just touch up with a permanent sharpie. **** I know i probably dont put mine together correctly but I finally get it together. Regardless what anyone says these guns will rock and roll

Matchshot & FIB, don't sweat comments by tucker & mudhen - they love beating up on people who have trouble w/ the most expensive field shotguns on the market that have a big (& possibly overblown) reputation for superior performance. I have had trouble w/ my new SBEII - mainly w/ cycling, but also I find the coating to be highly ineffective - ALL IN MY EXPERIENCE W/ THE GUN. I suspect the newer benelli's have gone down in quality - but again all I know is my experience and the stories I hear & read (both positive & negative). I went from using one of the cheapest semi's to the SBEII - and it's been a let down - hopefully it gets fixed & becomes the best gun I've ever owned. I suspect tucker & mudhen may work for the company. But clearly they do not understand that when people hear great stories about the gun, make sacrifices to buy the most expensive field shotgun on the market, think it will be flawless, but then have some problems with it - it's a big let down. To me, there is nothing worse than having a flock of birds come in & you're wondering if your brand new, supposedly top of the line, most expensive gun will jam. I suspect even many of the most loyal benelli fans have had trouble w/ their guns, have had to get them repaired & hate or refuse to admit it. In my experience, the gun is over-rated.

Matt,

Why weren't you at the 10:00 o'clock meeting this morning?

We talked about how we're going to raise prices next year by 8% and try to produce an even lower qulaity product.

I think the new bent barrel SBEIII with the factory stuck choke tube in crumbly rust will be a huge success! :D

That's another topic we covered this morning.

We've had a number of CS reps complaining of indigestion.

They're saying that the flashing lights and tone reminders are bothering them and their stomachs are getting upset.

They're also annoying the gunsmiths who are trying to concentrate on their poker hands.

Good news for all....

A new person has been hired to head up the complaint department.

Helen Waite starts next Tuesday!

Starting Wednesday, there will be a new option on the automated phone system menu...

"For complaints regarding your overpriced shotgun's performance, finish, or the website press 4 to go direct to Helen Waite."

This has been the most interesting thread I have seen in a while!I must have missed the advertisement that said that the SBEII will cure world hunger,poverty,and diseases,and also will assemble itself out of the box,never chip or show wear,hit every target you ever shoot at and make your life better in every category.

When you sum up all the opinions of people who are not happy with their guns,this is what it sounds like they were promised when they opened their wallet.

If you are not satisfied with the product,complain to the company and the people who can change it.Otherwise,don't come to a place and complain about the "hard time" that the vast majority of people who are happy with their gun and also made the exact same sacrifice you did gave you.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk,but I hate seing people spin their wheels with no hint of a resolution.