Slug Guns

J.GOLDSBERRY

Ok, More Questions. I Am Going To Purchase A New Slug Gun Here In The Next Month Or So. I Am Not A Bird Hunter, Strictly Deer And Starting On Turket. I Am Down To The M2 In Camo And The Browning Silver In Mossy Oak. I Know One Is A Gas Driven Gun And The Other Is Inertia. *****s And Oranges I Have Been Told And It All Goes Down To What You Like. I Want A Good Reliable Slug Gun. I Know This Is A Benelli Forum, But Any Honest Advise Would Be Appreciated.

John:)

Ok, More Questions. I Am Going To Purchase A New Slug Gun Here In The Next Month Or So. I Am Not A Bird Hunter, Strictly Deer And Starting On Turket. I Am Down To The M2 In Camo And The Browning Silver In Mossy Oak. I Know One Is A Gas Driven Gun And The Other Is Inertia. *****s And Oranges I Have Been Told And It All Goes Down To What You Like. I Want A Good Reliable Slug Gun. I Know This Is A Benelli Forum, But Any Honest Advise Would Be Appreciated.

John:)

To try to add on to the very helpful reply from the first guy:

Both are good guns. Both are very good slug guns.

Lots of differences though.

Silver - fastest cycling shotgun in the world, much faster than the M2. Until Browning makes a factory open sight slug barrel, Silver slug barrels (actually labeled Gold at this time) will use the cantilever system for attaching optics. I prefer open sights and a drilled and tapped receiver. Gas requires more cleaning than Benelli's inertia system.

Here's where the Silver gets tricky. At first, Browning was offering a 3" Silver and a 3.5" Silver. Now it looks like the 3" is being dropped and the Silver will proceed as a 3.5" gun. Remember that you cannot put a 3.5" barrel on a 3" receiver. I don't know what receiver the Silver slug gun comes with, but you had better find out first. Spare matte smooth bore barrels for the 3" gun run $325, but in reality, most will be looking at $394 for a matte 3.5" barrel and $431 for a camo 3.5" barrel. At this time, finding spare Silver barrels can make looking for Benelli barrels seem like a walk in the park.

I like the Silver line and would buy a Silver slug gun in a heartbeat. They are accurate and reliable. Just keep them clean and oiled as they don't usually like to run dry. If you hunt sub-zero temps, you might want to pass on a gas gun though as they can be less reliable in freezing conditions that an intertia or pump gun.

M2 - Excellent slug gun. Easy to clean. M2 slug gun comes drilled and tapped. I would slap Warne bases and rings on an M2 and fire away. If you prefer open sights, I think the M2 open sights are excellent.

Benelli barrels are a very scarce in general. Most new gun barrels are hard to find. Camo barrels are especially hard to find. If you want an M2 combo, you would be better off having your Benelli dealer call Benelli first to find what barrels they have in stock, and then buy the slug gun to go with that barrel.

In all reality, you might be better off buying two seperate guns. With the cost of barrels being about 1/2 the cost of the whole gun, it's almost a better deal to just own both versions.

Good luck :)