Jellyhead .660 in SBE II with Win XR's...

mudhen

Exact same set-up as the SSX test. 40 yards from shooting sticks. Same POA, base of neck.

Given that the 3.5" XR is sending 400+ pellets downrange, I am still not thrilled with these patterns, but they are somewhat better than the average SSX patterns:

IMG_1196.jpg

I will still keep looking around, but I this is what I have been shooting for the past few years. I see no need to change unless I find something better.

Hey Mudhen,

I tried several loads out of my SBE II/Jellyhead set up at 40 yds. yesterday. I found regular Federal Mag-Shock 3.5" #6's w/flight control to pattern the best for me. Very even pattern. I haven't tried any of the Win XR's yet. Would like to try hevi 13 to compare to the impressive pattern that I got from the Federal Mag-Shock though.

Hey Mudhen,

I tried several loads out of my SBE II/Jellyhead set up at 40 yds. yesterday. I found regular Federal Mag-Shock 3.5" #6's w/flight control to pattern the best for me. Very even pattern. I haven't tried any of the Win XR's yet. Would like to try hevi 13 to compare to the impressive pattern that I got from the Federal Mag-Shock though.

I won't shoot any Flite Control shells through a ported choke tube. Federal advises against it.

But my Gold threw a nasty pattern with HW #7's and a $19 Carlson non-ported .665 yesterday. I'll post the photo later.

The jellyhead is a fluted choke. I know that Kick's doesn't recommend shooting flight control as they are ported as well as federal. I have photos but I'm not sure how to post them. I would be happy to post them if you could let me know how.

They are called fluted ports by Primos.

Federal states for optimal performance, don't use any FC wad shell with a fluted choke. There is no safety issue, it is a matter of the ports possibly preventing the FC wad from doing what it was intended to do by holding the wad back.

I tested 4-5 FC loads last year thought a JH and the results were no better than I am getting with the above combination.

I'll keep searching though :)

Federal Mag-Shock 3.5" #6 w/FC @ 40 yds.

SBE II/Jellyhead .660

1st shot is big pic (I pulled a bit) 2nd shot small pic is centered

100_0670.jpg100_0668.jpg

Wow!

That's well over 200 hits in the 10" at 40 yards. I've never seen anything like that with lead #6's at that distance. I'll see if my SBE II can do it with that shell sometime next week.

Good pattern!

The smaller target was the better of the two. I tried resizing both photos in photobucket and was having problems. I just got some Win XR's 3.5" #6 and 3" #6's from a friend and will try to pattern them this weekend. I was very suprised at how well the Fed Mag-Shock did and again they were not High Velocity.

You guys are killing me...I want to get some shooting in but the weather sux in ohio at the moment!

Bowhunter,I have found high velocity loads to be detrimental to "better" patterns...faster is not better with respect to tighter patterns from my experience. I like loads under 1100 fps in my reloading or when buying factory ammo!

Nice patterns btw....

You guys are killing me...I want to get some shooting in but the weather sux in ohio at the moment!

Bowhunter,I have found high velocity loads to be detrimental to "better" patterns...faster is not better with respect to tighter patterns from my experience. I like loads under 1100 fps in my reloading or when buying factory ammo!

Nice patterns btw....

I'll be in Ohio over the weekend (Dayton & Cincy). With it being 65 and sunny just about every day here, I'm looking forward to some nice nasty winter weather :)

I like the 1200 fps of the XR's. I'm not in love with the 1090 on the H-13. It hits hard but takes a week to get there.

I'll be in Ohio over the weekend (Dayton & Cincy). With it being 65 and sunny just about every day here, I'm looking forward to some nice nasty winter weather :)

I like the 1200 fps of the XR's. I'm not in love with the 1090 on the H-13. It hits hard but takes a week to get there.

mud, you will be in my neck of the woods...i'm 15 miles south of Dayton, 40 miles north on Cincy! good news, we might be in the upper 30's low 40's this weekend....yippie! Are you coming out for the Bass-Pro "Spring Bash" that starts this weekend???

i just got back from working a helicopter tradeshow in Houston Tx and it was in the mid to upper 70's everyday....got cold at night (30's) but the days were beautiful....I only wish I was hunting or shooting and not talking lubricants!

btw, mud - 1090fps is plenty fast enough for turkey's....they aren't "springing teal" ya know!!! :)

Fed. mag-shock 3.5" #5's w/FC were decent but not as even of a pattern out of my set up as the #6's. I still have the targets from when I patterned the #5's and will try to post them after this weekend. I also have several other loads that I am going to try and pattern tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

• 2 weeks later...

Try some nitro H51013 and let me know what you think. They are high but when you have invested as much as you have for a gun and a choke why not go all the way and spend a few more dollars a shot. And just think how long ten shots will probably last. A couple to pattern and you still have enough for 4 years if you are a good shot and kill two longbeards a year.:D