New guy question about Nova and Slugs?

tu3712

I have a Nova pump w\ the 26'' barrel not riffled. Is it dumb or just not a good idea to shoot a slug out of a non riffled barrel? I know it will be more accurate with the riffled barrel. I would like to use it as a deer gun too but as you all know it is hard to find replacement barrels for these guns. TIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slugs did not know they had been making the slug that long? i guess the rifled slug would be the new type. I know of a lotta people that would not think twice about using a smooth bore for filling the deep freeze with deer hams and have been doing it their whole life and that i guess means why waste money on a rifled slug barell when what ya got will do? i guess some people just wanta complain about the price of something they did not need to start with?:confused:

I recently asked the same question at a gun shop. The guy told me to use riffled slugs for a smooth bore barrel. They have groves in them and cause them to spin as they travel down the barrel for better accuracy. Lead is soft and it wont leave marks in your barrel. I've shot about 75 slugs thru mine so far and the barrel looks fine.