Problems.......please help......

benelli preacher

Guys, I am having a hard time and need some advice of some kind.

I have a Benelli Super Black Eagle II and have loved the guy so far. Shot doves and ducks with it this year and it shot like a dream. But, I have been trying my hardest to pattern choke tubes out of it for turkeys; but to no avail.

So far, I have shot a Primos Jellyhead, Rhino and a Kicks Gobblin Thunder out of it and both choke tubes have given me the same results. I am out of money with buying choke tubes and shells.

This is a list of shells that I have shot out of it......

Winchester Extended Range

Winchester Supreme

Kent

Nitro

Federal Premium (both regular and camo box)

Hevi Shot

My shoulder is sore and I have not found a shell that will pattern out of either choke. The most I am getting is about 25 pellets in a kill zone. But the average is around 15 I am sure that this will kill turkeys, but out of a $1500 gun, you would think that it would do better than this.

I saved my money this past year and traded a couple of guns for what I thought was my "dream gun" but I am not liking it too much right now!bang.gif

So, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. I am thinking about selling it or taking it and trading it on either a Browning or a Winchester SX 2 or 3.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott...how is your gun shooting...meaning low or high...and how are you aiming it....are you aimming at the base of the target....?....Try number 6's Kents 3 inch Mag 1 3/4 ozs....i've takening Turkey out to 56 yards with theses...i'm shooting number 6's out of my SBE2 and its whacking the target....Honkers41

I have found that patterning on posterboard size targets (wrapping paper works too) shows more of what the gun and load is doing. By just shooting at a turkey target, you are unable to judge if the shot went left, right, up or down.

On the posterboard, mark a 3-4 inch circle with an "X" in the center as the aiming point. After shooting I then use a 10" pie pan to mark the tightest area and then also mark it with about a 12 or 13" circle around that. I usually shoot two or three shells at the same distance and compare the targets. This is to rule out as much human error. Note: one shell per posterboard. If you use an adjustable sight or scope then you can see more of where you need to adjust or if you just pulled a shot.

Hope this helps.

I think most of us would like to see fifty and a hundred shots in the neck and vitals but dont think its going to happen at 40 yards.

With a Nitro shell that boast to put over 200 pellets at 40 yards, yes, you should expect it. Have a buddy of mine, that has the same set up. Benelli SBE II, Primos Jellyhead choke tube and a Nitro shell and he is getting well over 150 at 40 yards. So, yes it is possible.

You did not say what range you are talking about or what you are calling a kill zone (THE SKULL, Spine and neck bone?) or a home made target..Or What?

My "kill zone" is from the top of the turkeys head all the way down to the base of his neck bone. It is a store bought target, one of the big ones. Actual shooting distance is 35 yards.

Scott...how is your gun shooting...meaning low or high...and how are you aiming it....are you aimming at the base of the target....?....Try number 6's Kents 3 inch Mag 1 3/4 ozs....i've takening Turkey out to 56 yards with theses...i'm shooting number 6's out of my SBE2 and its whacking the target....Honkers41

The gun is not shooting high or low, it is just spraying pellets everywhere. There is no consistency to the shot, whatsoever.

hmmm...try Kents number 6's 1 3/4 ozs 3 inch mag...shoot at 20 yards then 30 yards...that maybe all you get out of them chokes who knows...if it were me....i'd sell one of them and buy a Hastings.640 choke tightiest you can get...maybe the chokes are spraying because thier ported chokes and holding the Wadings back...try a non ported Choke or go with you Factory full choke....Honkers41

150 in the circle ,or turkey neck spine and head? I can get plenty in the turkey from the top of the head to the bottom of the neck, say 100 . when i say 25 I mean in those little yellow vertabrae down the middle of the neck and the little brain at the top. If you can only get 25 in the complete head and neck out to its outline I would say you have a problem

My "kill zone" is from the top of the turkeys head all the way down to the base of his neck bone. It is a store bought target, one of the big ones. Actual shooting distance is 35 yards.

Well if you are only getting that many pellets at 35 yards from the top of the head to the base of the neck. YOU DO HAVE A SERIOUS problem. With all the chokes and shells you have tried I would call Benelli service and send targets and chokes to the service dept. If it won,t pattern the Nitro CO shells you have a real problem. I am sorry I have nothing to offer to help you. I hope you have a backup gun to use.

Depending on how you pattern, you might not be too far off. I pattern to see pellets in the brain and spine, meat shots dont count, and I pattern at an honest 40 yards, +/- 2 inches. Im shooting a Trulock 660 non ported in my SBE II, the best I have so far is 9 pellets from a Winchester 3 1/2 2oz copper #6 Supreme's.

Check your POI.

Start at 15, 20, 30, and 40 yards. Work your way back.

I have come to understand those TV Miracle 65 yards shots are BS, not realistic, and unethical.

Just patterned my SBE II / jellyhead combo with Hevi13 3.5" #6 the new 2 1/4 oz load. After pulling the first two shots, I was able to get three good shots off. one with 176 pellets in 10" circle @ 40yds., one with 215 pellets in 10" circle at 40yds. and one with 256 pellets in 10" circle at 35yds. I am using the factory beads and have an H. S strut V-pod attached to the gun that I shoot from. I will try to post pics in the next couple of days in the Jellyhead .660 thread.

You might have a lemon on your hands.

I've had some trouble getting good even patterns from my SBE at 40 yards, so I picked up over $100's worth of ammo and had at it. Man my shoulder is feeling it, let me tell ya.

Here's what I came up with. I didn't try any of the heavy loads, these are standard lead CP.

SBE W/Jellyhead .655: the best pattern was Winchester Sup 2 3/4 6's with 1 5/8 oz shot.

Nothing else was even close..............these are some of the cheapest turkey loads. ($7.99 a box last year.......Now $12.99 in my area anyway)

M2 W/Jellyhead .660: Winchester Sup 3in 6's with 2oz followed by the same 2 3/4 load above. Honorable mention was FED Strut shok (blue box) 3in 6's with 1 7/8oz shot.

I tried several 3 1/2 loads in the SBE last year with no luck, and didn't have much success with the 3 inch loads either, using FED, WIN, and Rem loads.

Again, I didn't purchase any heavy shot loads, and would bet the Extended range Elite 6's would preform well based on other posts. I'm just not ready to give in to the man... Ha!

Try that 2 3/4 Win sup XX shell (X12HXCT6) at 40 yards in your Jellyhead it also gave outstanding results in my 870 with a Rem Super Full .660.

If you can only get 25 in the complete head and neck out to its outline I would say you have a problem

That is exactly what I am telling you. It is about 25 in the complete head and neck outline. And that was at MOST with the best shells. Most shells only gave me anywhere from 10 -15.

Hate to disagree with you guys; but I think I have a problem with my gun. I took it back to my dealer; but they basically said that there was nothing that they could do. Can I call Benelli myself and will they talk to me?

That is exactly what I am telling you. It is about 25 in the complete head and neck outline. And that was at MOST with the best shells. Most shells only gave me anywhere from 10 -15.

Hate to disagree with you guys; but I think I have a problem with my gun. I took it back to my dealer; but they basically said that there was nothing that they could do. Can I call Benelli myself and will they talk to me?

Have you checked the nut behind the gun?

Let me first say that I don't believe you. The fact that you threw in the $1500 comment makes me think you are a troll.

The results you are talking about, with the chokes and shells you mention, at the range you mention, are unheard of.

My SBE II will put 130-170+ XR #6's in the 10" circle at 35 yards all day long with the .660 Jellyhead and the .660 1.5" Rhino .660. I don't even love this pattern. It drops down to 90-140 or so at 40 yards.

I think your Point of Impact does not match your Point of Aim.

Of course, to use just the head and neck test for patterns is stupid. You need to test the patterns at certain distances and then count the total in a 10" or 20" circle. Look at these targets for example. Head and neck is 40-70, but look at the total blend in the 10" circle. These are dead birds, even at 40 yards:

IMG_1196.jpg

If you are at wit's end, you can always try testing with a large sheet of paper. Put a small dot in the middle and aim at that dot. Maybe your POI is off? You will not really know unless you try this test.

Good luck, I think you will need it :)

Really appreciate the vote of confidence on your part, not that I needed it anyway. Glad that I have finally found a great gun expert or should I say idiot to try and answer an honest question from an honest man. This question was never about my character or about whether or not I am trying to tell the truth; but about a gun that I paid hard earned money for, that is simply not working!

For your information, if you would like it, I took this gun back to the gun shop this morning, they shot it, and found the same thing out that I am trying to tell you. They called Benelli and it is on the way back to be fixed by a company who wants their guns to perform right for their customers!

Sorry for bothering you guys with any questions on this website about my benelli shotgun. I promise, that because of attitudes such as this one in the aforementioned post, I will never do it again. Matter of fact, my days on Bennelli forums are over!

Thank you so much for you wonderful driving away of a Benelli owner!

Have you checked the nut behind the gun?

Let me first say that I don't believe you. The fact that you threw in the $1500 comment makes me think you are a troll.

The results you are talking about, with the chokes and shells you mention, at the range you mention, are unheard of.

My SBE II will put 130-170+ XR #6's in the 10" circle at 35 yards all day long with the .660 Jellyhead and the .660 1.5" Rhino .660. I don't even love this pattern. It drops down to 90-140 or so at 40 yards.

I think your Point of Impact does not match your Point of Aim.

Of course, to use just the head and neck test for patterns is stupid. You need to test the patterns at certain distances and then count the total in a 10" or 20" circle. Look at these targets for example. Head and neck is 40-70, but look at the total blend in the 10" circle. These are dead birds, even at 40 yards:

IMG_1196.jpg

If you are at wit's end, you can always try testing with a large sheet of paper. Put a small dot in the middle and aim at that dot. Maybe your POI is off? You will not really know unless you try this test.

Good luck, I think you will need it :)

Preacher we'll sorry you feel that way...not everyone is like you mention on here....sometimes you just have to ignore the ones that are ignorant...i was just alittle concerned about your point of aim...thinking maybe the gun was'nt adjusted to your point of aim...i had the same problem..till i adjusted the dropoff...but it seems you have a choke problem...i would have liked to see a Hastings .640 or .650 choke in the gun unported choke....i'm thinking that was the problem...Honkers41

For your information, if you would like it, I took this gun back to the gun shop this morning, they shot it, and found the same thing out that I am trying to tell you. They called Benelli and it is on the way back to be fixed by a company who wants their guns to perform right for their customers!

Is this the same shop that told you there was nothing they could do? What changed their mind? Maybe you got a manager.

You had all the answers already and gladly offered that we were all wrong, so I was just trying to think of anything your big honest brain hadn't mentioned already. Excuuuuussssseeeee mmmmmeeeeeee for trying :D

I hope you end up happy, but I still don't buy any of your story :)

You had all the answers already and gladly offered that we were all wrong, so I was just trying to think of anything your big honest brain hadn't mentioned already. Excuuuuussssseeeee mmmmmeeeeeee for trying

I hope you end up happy, but I still don't buy any of your story :)

Nope, didn't have all the answers........that is why I came here. Didn't call anybody wrong, just took beef to you attacking my credibility. You don't know me, you were not here when I shot the gun, therefore, you have no right to attack my credibility as to whether or not it is true or untrue.

As far as me ending up happy, I will. Thanks for the well wishes, I think?:o As far as you not buying into my "story"......glad that you doing this or not doing this doesn't effect my life and my quest to getting the $1500 gun (oops, did I say that again?) to shoot right!

Best of luck to you and yours, as well.

Nope, didn't have all the answers........that is why I came here. Didn't call anybody wrong, just took beef to you attacking my credibility. You don't know me, you were not here when I shot the gun, therefore, you have no right to attack my credibility as to whether or not it is true or untrue.

As far as me ending up happy, I will. Thanks for the well wishes, I think?:o As far as you not buying into my "story"......glad that you doing this or not doing this doesn't effect my life and my quest to getting the $1500 gun (oops, did I say that again?) to shoot right!

Best of luck to you and yours, as well.

I'm sure they won't tell you, but if they do fix the problem, I'd love to know what they did. Did you record the serial # on the barrel? The only thing I can think of is that they will simply give you a new barrel. I feel sorry for the guy that get's your barrel next though, but maybe he won't be a turkey hunter.

The most likely issue is a bad choke tube thread cutting which leaves the choke off-center. That's why I mentioned shooting at a large piece of paper. You will find the center that way.

Keep us informed, if you stick around :)

Hey Mudhen. Unless preacher just totally out of the blue made this complete story up,he shouldn't be questioned like that. Why would he or anyone take the time to make a post,read,and reply several times to a made up lie ? If he bought it and was satisfied,why would he come to this forum,and make up a story? I think we at least need to give him the benefit of the doubt.