#5 or #6 shot sizes

bowhntr1980

What are some of the disadvantages and advantages between #5 and #6 shot?

I've debated with several co-workers but none have given me any reason other than, "that's what I've always shot".

I personally have always liked #6 shot and it has always had more even patterns than #5's out of my guns. I know that pellet count is higher in #6 and the size is slightly smaller. But is there really any significant differences other than personal preferance between the two?

Also, I don't think I have ever seen or heard of anyone using #4's.

I personally run with #6 shot. I will go with #5's sometimes when the foliage starts to become an issue,but I know my sixes will get the job done if they happen to be in the gun.My guns just pattern better with 6 shot,but someone else's might pattern better with other sizes.The only way to find out for sure is to head to the patterning board with a smile on your face. Good luck!

hevi 13 3.5" #6 2 1/4 oz. is the load I patterned today. Pulled a couple shots but was able to check it and get it where it needed to be. 215 pellets in 10" circle at 40 yds. and 256 pellet in 10" circle at 35 yds. were the best that it shot today. I would say that I am sticking to the #6's. Thanks for the replys.

I'd only shoot lead #6's out to 35 yards. High density #6's maybe to 40-45 yards.

Lead #5's can be pretty good at 40 yards and HD 5's can be effective out to 50 yards.

Win XR #6's are pretty hard to beat at any range out to 40 or so.

When shooting strictly lead or copper plated lead, I always preferred #5's over #6's and #4's.

Sure #4 lead would work best, Energy wise, but the patterns weren't that great!! #6's pattern best over #4 and #5's, but have that energy problem at the 40+ yard mark, they seem to run out of steam!!

So #5's are the perfect compromise, better patterns than #4's, and better energy levels than #6's.

Now having said that, with the advent of hevishot hitting the market several years ago, and seeing first hand the damage done to a gobblers head while using it, I'll never go back to lead or copper plated lead loads ever again.

I'm presently shooting Nitro H378 3" 4X5X7 plated tri-plex hevishot loads. I also see that Winchester and Federal have both jumped on the hevishot train as well. I did try Remington's earlier version of their Hevishot loads when they had an agreement with Environmetal to use their products years ago, but Remington has since decided to come out with their own product. Like mentioned before, now that hevishot has proven how superior it is over lead, I'll never switch back to lead.

Thanks dbcluck that makes alot of sense. I can never get a good answer out of my co-workers other that that's what pattern best for them or that is what I always use.

So far out of everything that I've tried, I really like Hevi 13 3.5" #6 in 2 1/4 oz. load. I would like to try it in #5's to compare it to the #6's because of the energy differences.

You have to remember, since heavishot pellets hit much harder than lead pellets of the same size, you can go to a smaller size shot with heavishot. So #6's will work better pattern wise, than #5's, plus they willl hit as hard as #5 lead!!! Best of both worlds!!

Hevi 13 #6's is definitely the load that I am using this year. I would still like to try the #5's out of curiosity to see how they compare. Out of all the other loads I've tried (Fed. w/FC, Fed. HV w/FC, Win. HV, and Win. XR) the #6's all out performed the #5's and I would just like to see if how well hevi 13 #5's do.

Hevi 13 #6's is definitely the load that I am using this year. I would still like to try the #5's out of curiosity to see how they compare. Out of all the other loads I've tried (Fed. w/FC, Fed. HV w/FC, Win. HV, and Win. XR) the #6's all out performed the #5's and I would just like to see if how well hevi 13 #5's do.

sounds like your gun/choke combo likes #6 shot!

the answer to the question #5 vs #6 is basically answered by the distance one is shooting...5's kill at longer distance than 6's....mudhen or someone else mentioned this in their reply. this is true whether you are shooting steel, lead or tungsten.....the distance at which each of these materials are lethal in say a #5 shot will be different but the bottomline is a #4 has greater energy than a #5 and a #5 more than a #6.

However, I'd tell the guys at work to let your gun/choke combo tell you which shot patterns best and if it is #6 Hevi-13 you should be able to kill turkey's beyond 45yds if you have too! With Federal (lead) I'd keep my shots under 40yds.

BTW - #4's & #5's shoot well from my 10 gauge, one of my favorite reloads is a 2-1/2 oz triplex (4X5X6) load of copper plated lead using 1-1/2 oz of 4's, 1/2 oz each of 5's & 6's and buffered. This load is a beast out of a .690" Rhino ported choke!

Here's some energy numbers in ft-lbs for different down range yardages based on

1300 fps muzzle velocity. basically its retained energy of each pellet.

.................... federal heavyweight ........................ Lead shot

yrds .................... #5 ....... #6 ............................ #5 ......... #6

20 ....................... 8.28 ...... 6.14 ....................... 5.16 ........ 3.81

30 ....................... 6.37 ...... 4.65 ........................ 3.84 ....... 2.78

40 ........................ 4.99 ...... 3.58 ....................... 2.91 ....... 2.07

50 ........................ 3.94 ...... 2.79 ....................... 2.24 ....... 1.57

60 ......................... 3.15 ...... 2.20 ....................... 1.75........ 1.20