What choke for buckshot?

LabradorGuy

I'm getting geared up for the spring field work season and I'm going to experiment with buckshot for bear defense. I'm a slug guy and a buckshot newbie. What type of choke should I use? I'd like a fairly dense pattern at about 25 yards. Do different brands pattern differently? I have no idea what I'm doing so all suggestions are appreciated.

carslon chokes http://www.choketube.com as a dead coyote choke that is made for T shot and buck shot. I use win. 3" 00 buck with this choke and my nova and it throws a great out to the 50-60 yard mark ( 12 pellets in the shell, 6 pellets on a 8x10 target at 60 yards). At 25 yards, its about a 6 inch group. (all 12 pellets.)

hope this helps

novaking

• 1 month later...

I saw bear and it caught my eye. I plan to use my SBE2 for bear this spring. The bird barrel shoots 3.5" but I noticed my Benelli slug barrel only says 2 3/4 or 3". Do they make an SBE2 slug barrel capble of 3.5" slugs (such as the Lightfield Commander IDS PLUS 3.5" slug)?

Bill

I saw bear and it caught my eye. I plan to use my SBE2 for bear this spring. The bird barrel shoots 3.5" but I noticed my Benelli slug barrel only says 2 3/4 or 3". Do they make an SBE2 slug barrel capble of 3.5" slugs (such as the Lightfield Commander IDS PLUS 3.5" slug)?

Bill

No they do not. All a 3 1/2" shell does is have more fillers. The only company(I know of) that makes a 3 1/2" slug barrel is Browning. They stamp 3 1/2" on the reciever and had a choice of making no slug barrel or matching the reciever stamp.

Cyl or IC is likely best, but you don't know until you pattern it.

Make sure you use a load that's got hardened shot. The regular stuff deforms and tends to fly more wildly (open up the pattern) than the hardened shot, which is usually not what you want.