M4 3 1/2 Inch...

Caligvla

First and foremost, the M4 (or any shotgun chambered for 3" shells) will not have been proof tested for a 3-1/2" shell.

Essentially, you will be converting your M4 into a pipe bomb.

At the very least the spent shell will jamb and not eject.

I am sure, also, that Benelli would not pay for any repairs to a damaged gun or to a damaged user!

Finally, why would you want to do that? Any advantage you would gain from the extra shot in a 3-1/2" shell would be nullified by the inherent danger.

First and foremost, the M4 (or any shotgun chambered for 3" shells) will not have been proof tested for a 3-1/2" shell.

Essentially, you will be converting your M4 into a pipe bomb.

At the very least the spent shell will jamb and not eject.

I am sure, also, that Benelli would not pay for any repairs to a damaged gun or to a damaged user!

Finally, why would you want to do that? Any advantage you would gain from the extra shot in a 3-1/2" shell would be nullified by the inherent danger.

Just wondering... I didn't know there was any danger to it, hence why I asked.

When a shotgun is chambered for a particular shell length, the chamber is cut such that there is sufficient relief for the opened crimp to be clear of the bore. Thus, a shotgun chambered for 3 inch shells may be able to chamber a 3 1/2 inch shell for this reason, but when the 3 1/2 inch shell is fired, the shot, wad, etc. will be constricted as it exits the hull, because there is no relief for the opened crimp. This can cause either shearing of the front crimp portion of the shell at best, or at worst, a dangerous overpressure in the chamber and breech.