Need instructions on swapping M4 stock

Mr. Shotgun

I was wondering if anyone had instructions that they could post up??

I'm buying a M4 with the pistol-grip solid stock. I want to swap out to the standard stock w/o pistol grip....

I've called benelli tech support and they told me that it can be done in less than 5 minutes w/o any tools, and that the tricky part is removing the trigger assembly...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on an M4 you have to remove the trigger group first...

you do not remove the recoil pad at all.

1.) Field Strip your M4, remove barrel

2.) Use the firing pin to release plastic retaining bolt for trigger group

3.) Push on bolt release button and remove trigger group

4.) Unscrew Pistol Grip Stock Counter Clockwise, the first time this is really hard!!!

good luck, if you get stuck look in your manual or call benelli they are very helpful

You don't need to remove the barrel or bolt group to remove the stock. Also, the bolt handle is your main disassembly tool, never use the firing pin for anything other than striking primers. Use the bolt handle to punch the trigger group retaining pin out until it stops. Then you can pull out the trigger group while pressing the bolt release. Then you can unscrew the stock.

You don't need to remove the barrel or bolt group to remove the stock. Also, the bolt handle is your main disassembly tool, never use the firing pin for anything other than striking primers. Use the bolt handle to punch the trigger group retaining pin out until it stops. Then you can pull out the trigger group while pressing the bolt release. Then you can unscrew the stock.

Wow you make it sound so simple to do.... but I wish I could get a diagram, or a personal demonstration...:D

So the bolt handle can unscrew out?

1) Does the hammer have to be in any particular position before removing the trigger group?

2) Does the safety switch have to be on?

3) do I have to push up on the shell ejector? or elevator?

4) Does the stock have to come off before the pistol grip?

5) Is the pistol grip easy to twist off?

6) Do I rotate the hard stock counter-clockwise to remove it?

The manual says to use the firing pin, and it's a perfect fit to punch out the trigger group retaining pin.

1) Does the hammer have to be in any particular position before removing the trigger group?

2) Does the safety switch have to be on?

3) do I have to push up on the shell ejector? or elevator?

4) Does the stock have to come off before the pistol grip?

5) Is the pistol grip easy to twist off?

6) Do I rotate the hard stock counter-clockwise to remove it?

Hammer cocked, safety on to prevent accidental release.

Pistol grip and stock are attached, unless you have a collapsible stock, yes rotate counter clockwise.

Don't you have a manual?

Send me an email and I can send you a PDF

the most simplist shotgun in the world to work on,,even tucker would understand it,,now listen newbs,,,,,,if your just swapping stocks ,,, just use the bolt handle,,if your on the complete field strip mode,,,you still use your bolt handle,,the manual says firring pin,,then your gonna have to think alittle,whats it gonna be,,use my bolt handle or my firring pin??? ,,hhhmmmmmmm,,tucker had his hand up first,,oohhhhhhh thundbolt gets the star because his answer is correct,,,class over,,dismissed

the most simplist shotgun in the world to work on,,even tucker would understand it,,now listen newbs,,,,,,if your just swapping stocks ,,, just use the bolt handle,,if your on the complete field strip mode,,,you still use your bolt handle,,the manual says firring pin,,then your gonna have to think alittle,whats it gonna be,,use my bolt handle or my firring pin??? ,,hhhmmmmmmm,,tucker had his hand up first,,oohhhhhhh thundbolt gets the star because his answer is correct,,,class over,,dismissed

considering a replacement bolt handle costs more than a factory firing pin, also considering that the firing pin would take he-man to bend it or damage it. I think you are safe following the Benelli manual, using the M4 firing pin to punch the trigger group plastic retaining bolt. I would not recommend using your M4 firing pin for anything else however...

I'll make a quicktime video and post a link to it later today...

Thanks!!!! how about hosting it up on youtube?

Sorry for the newb questions. I'm going to buy my M4 in a few days.....and wanted to be well informed on swapping out stocks and pistol grips before i bring it home....

considering a replacement bolt handle costs more than a factory firing pin, also considering that the firing pin would take he-man to bend it or damage it. I think you are safe following the Benelli manual, using the M4 firing pin to punch the trigger group plastic retaining bolt. I would not recommend using your M4 firing pin for anything else however...

If I dont use the firing pin or the bolt handle, maybe I can use a center punch from my bro's tool box

Bear in mind guys I'm asking these questions because the gunshop I'm getting my M4 from sells it with the fixed, pistol grip stock.

I live in an area where "pistol grips" are frowned upon, so I wanted to be sure I know how to convert it back and forth in order to be compliant with my towns regulations.

Thanks!!!! how about hosting it up on youtube?

Sorry for the newb questions. I'm going to buy my M4 in a few days.....and wanted to be well informed on swapping out stocks and pistol grips before i bring it home....

youtube quality sucks...

http://www.menichetti.org/M4/DSCN9807.MOV

you can download it there, give it sometime it's a big file...

let me know once you finished downloading it so I can take it down.