Need instructions on swapping M4 stock

Mr. Shotgun

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent job on the video!

I would suggest using the bolt handle to push the pin and not the firing pin, as the old man suggested.

just to recap, I really dont need to take off the barrel, or even the bolt carrier group to remove the trigger group right??

I do realize that the video that was posted was pretty much a complete field strip...

just to recap, I really dont need to take off the barrel, or even the bolt carrier group to remove the trigger group right??

I do realize that the video that was posted was pretty much a complete field strip...

if the bolt is not in the locked back position you could get the trigger group out, or at least pushed out of the way so you could remove the stock. You will need a punch to get the plastic retaining bolt into the open position so you can move the trigger group

When you get the M4 the barrel will be off anyway... the gun comes in 2 pieces.

everything seem clear on the video? any questions?

pretty easy huh?

yes the video was excellent and very clear. I'm sure once I become proficient at it, I can get it done in less than 2-3 minutes tops......

I pick up my rifle/shotgun permit tomorrow from licensing division, and I'm going to the gun shop right afterwards to get my M4 in black......

:D

if the bolt is in the locked back position you could get the trigger group out, or at least pushed out of the way so you could remove the stock. You will need a punch to get the plastic retaining bolt into the open position so you can move the trigger group

When you get the M4 the barrel will be off anyway... the gun comes in 2 pieces.

I see....I'll have to put the gun on safe, lock the bolt back, punch the plastic pin out, then I can rotate the trigger group out of the way....then remove stock.....

My plan is to buy a standard stock from Benelli and have it installed before I bring the gun home

when I go shooting, I'll put the pistol grip stock back on....once I get to the range.

Excellent job on the video!

I would suggest using the bolt handle to push the pin and not the firing pin, as the old man suggested.

Most of the time I use my glock punch, it fits just right, I have an after market Dave's metal works bolt handle and it's just slightly just too big to punch out the retaining bolt for the trigger group... However, the gentle push on a plastic part with a very big strong thick firing pin is unlikely to do any damage, if it does, I have a spare factory pin that I bought for $10.00

Thanks for the thumbs up on the video. I know how he feels, I want to know as much as possible about things before I buy, so I am ready to go when I get it.

Too bad he can't keep the pistol grip, its a very comfortable natural feel to it.

Does anyone know if there is a spring inside the pistol grip?

I see....I'll have to put the gun on safe, lock the bolt back, punch the plastic pin out, then I can rotate the trigger group out of the way....then remove stock.....

My plan is to buy a standard stock from Benelli and have it installed before I bring the gun home

when I go shooting, I'll put the pistol grip stock back on....once I get to the range.

where do you live that wont let you have a pistol grip?

I live in Los Angeles and I thought we had it bad...

when I go shooting, I'll put the pistol grip stock

back on....once I get to the range.

Don't forget to twist the stock off counter clockwise, the first time you do it, it will be really stiff and might 2nd guess which way to unscrew it and might wind up over tightening it.

maybe I'll make a 2nd video without removing the barrel...

you dont have to have the bolt locked back, you can leave it in the forward position and slide the trigger group forward just a bit so the tongue slides into the magazine tube a bit then remove the stock...

where do you live that wont let you have a pistol grip?

I live in Los Angeles and I thought we had it bad...

NYC......

apparently they say if a semi-auto rifle/shotgun has any one of the following features its considered an "assault" weapon:

pistol grip

threaded barrel

flash suppressor

collapsible stock

barrel shroud

bayonet lug

bla bla bla.....

The only way to make the M4 compliant with NYC's laws is to have the standard stock... its a stupid law I think...as I can drive my car 20 minutes into the next town over and be perfectly legal owning a rifle/shotgun with "assault" weapon features.....

other states like CT says if a rifle or shot gun has any of the following two features then its considered an assault weapon...

Don't forget to twist the stock off counter clockwise, the first time you do it, it will be really stiff and might 2nd guess which way to unscrew it and might wind up over tightening it.

maybe I'll make a 2nd video without removing the barrel...

you dont have to have the bolt locked back, you can leave it in the forward position and slide the trigger group forward just a bit so the tongue slides into the magazine tube a bit then remove the stock...

That would be cool if you made a second video...

the fastest, easiest way to take the stock off w/o removing unnecessary parts....

That would be cool if you made a second video...

the fastest, easiest way to take the stock off w/o removing unnecessary parts....

The video is done and uploading to my server, it will take about an hour to transfer... 155MB

http://www.menichetti.org/M4/DSCN9811.MOV

I made a typo earlier... the bolt has to be forward, NOT in the locked back position. You will see on the video when it's up.

In Los Angeles my current configuration is fine, 18.5" Barrel, Pistol Grip, Full length tube (I highly recommend buying SOCOMGUYs tube) If I added a collapsible stock, forward grip, 10+ magazine capacity, etc... that would put me in the Assault Weapon category...

I have more issues to deal with at local ranges than state law. One range I can't use anything shorter than a 24" barrel. So I had to buy a 6" barrel extension from Briley (http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=133)

It's basically a 6" choke tube that's threaded so I can add a choke at the end... Once your out of LA the ranges seem to loosen up on their restrictions.

The video is done and uploading to my server, it will take about an hour to transfer... 155MB

http://www.menichetti.org/M4/DSCN9811.MOV

I made a typo earlier... the bolt has to be forward, NOT in the locked back position. You will see on the video when it's up.

In Los Angeles my current configuration is fine, 18.5" Barrel, Pistol Grip, Full length tube (I highly recommend buying SOCOMGUYs tube) If I added a collapsible stock, forward grip, 10+ magazine capacity, etc... that would put me in the Assault Weapon category...

I have more issues to deal with at local ranges than state law. One range I can't use anything shorter than a 24" barrel. So I had to buy a 6" barrel extension from Briley (http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=133)

It's basically a 6" choke tube that's threaded so I can add a choke at the end... Once your out of LA the ranges seem to loosen up on their restrictions.

Is it even possible to add a 10+ capacity to an M4 with the 18.5" factory barrel?

Can't get the second video.

Connection resets at 99%.

Tucker...

It's still uploading...

21 min to go...

Mr. Shotgun...

If you add a barrel extension to the M4, then add the +2 extension to a full length tube you could get 10+2, making a total of 12 rounds illegal in Cali... 9 in the tube one in the chamber and 1 ghost loaded... Let me guess you want a video on ghost loading too?

Follow the directions in the linked manual.

The one for which I received no credit for creating and hosting.

PS if i got this link from tucker i hope you enjoy it and please thank him as i also appreciate his technical expertise in creating great finds such as these. just hope you can read MILITARY MANUAL they are written at 6th grade levels so most can understand! this one i think came from another source but same product? almost made me feel like Heather Mills!

I went to my local gunshop today and placed a deposit on a black M4. I ordered an additional standard stock, and wont bring the gun home till I have the standard stock....

I put $100 deposit down, and they charged me $1599 for the gun... did I overpay???

I paid $1629 for mine, but... I have camo...

I think you got a fair price

Did you see the 2nd video?

I paid $1629 for mine, but... I have camo...

I think you got a fair price

Did you see the 2nd video?

Yeah I saw the second video, thanks!!!

I also got to see my black M4 as well...the gunshop owner had it in the basement and brought it up for me to see it.

You're right, it comes in 2 pieces, with some bottle of lube or something and also a bore wrench....

My gun is a "virgin", never been touched by human hands lol....

but yeah, I guess $1599 is ok, but not the best.... another shop I went to had a black one on sale for $1569, but I didnt get it cuz it had a nice long scratch along the top of the barrel.

The shop charged me only $125 for the standard stock though, which isnt too bad, as I have seen one guy online who paid $140 for his.....

So what I'm gonna do when I bring the gun home is buy a nice sling, maybe Eotech, and a +2 round tube extension....

Yeah I saw the second video, thanks!!!

I also got to see my black M4 as well...the gunshop owner had it in the basement and brought it up for me to see it.

You're right, it comes in 2 pieces, with some bottle of lube or something and also a bore wrench....

My gun is a "virgin", never been touched by human hands lol....

but yeah, I guess $1599 is ok, but not the best.... another shop I went to had a black one on sale for $1569, but I didnt get it cuz it had a nice long scratch along the top of the barrel.

The shop charged me only $125 for the standard stock though, which isnt too bad, as I have seen one guy online who paid $140 for his.....

So what I'm gonna do when I bring the gun home is buy a nice sling, maybe Eotech, and a +2 round tube extension....

Yup comes with a tube of benelli oil, and a choke wrench, you most likely got a modified choke with your M4, if you want to shoot slugs I would get a cylinder choke...

Get a full length tube from Socomguy! I got one and everyone else who bought one has been very happy.

With the aftermarket +2, you run the risk of rounds getting stuck at the connection. Also the full tube makes it much easier to field strip.

no matter what you decide you will have fun with your M4. It's my favorite firearm!

Yup comes with a tube of benelli oil, and a choke wrench, you most likely got a modified choke with your M4, if you want to shoot slugs I would get a cylinder choke...

Get a full length tube from Socomguy! I got one and everyone else who bought one has been very happy.

With the aftermarket +2, you run the risk of rounds getting stuck at the connection. Also the full tube makes it much easier to field strip.

no matter what you decide you will have fun with your M4. It's my favorite firearm!

Would I still run the risk of getting some shells stuck if I bought the factory +2 round extension tube kit? Is it much more expensive?

Would my model still be able to fit a collapsible, pistol grip stock?? (not that I plan on doing it and breaking the law, but its good to know that my gun is that versatile)

What type of 2.75" rounds should I run through my gun? What does the military usually use?

I'll worry about the choke thing when I bring the gun home. In the meantime they are going to hold onto it until the standard stock comes in. I'm guessing I'll have the gun in my possession mid-April, right after I get back from vacation overseas.

Would I still run the risk of getting some shells stuck if I bought the factory +2 round extension tube kit? Is it much more expensive?

Would my model still be able to fit a collapsible, pistol grip stock?? (not that I plan on doing it and breaking the law, but its good to know that my gun is that versatile)

What type of 2.75" rounds should I run through my gun? What does the military usually use?

I'll worry about the choke thing when I bring the gun home. In the meantime they are going to hold onto it until the standard stock comes in. I'm guessing I'll have the gun in my possession mid-April, right after I get back from vacation overseas.

You can't get the factory one anymore, you can find them in auctions once in awhile for over $200.00 if they have the same problem or not, I don't know. A full tube is just the way to go...

Shoot a couple hundred rounds of hot turkey loads, to break it in, then shoot whatever you want...

You can't get the factory one anymore, you can find them in auctions once in awhile for over $200.00 if they have the same problem or not, I don't know. A full tube is just the way to go...

Shoot a couple hundred rounds of hot turkey loads, to break it in, then shoot whatever you want...

Cool, thanks for answering all of my questions, you have been very very helpful.

Will the turkey loads recoil a lot??

Cool, thanks for answering all of my questions, you have been very very helpful.

Will the turkey loads recoil a lot??

ehh, the M4 has soooo much going on in it to reduce recoil. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that I can say hurt were 3" tri-balls and it wasnt that bad...

stay away from low-recoil ammo most of the time it doesn't cycle...