Need instructions on swapping M4 stock

Mr. Shotgun

ehh, the M4 has soooo much going on in it to reduce recoil. I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that I can say hurt were 3" tri-balls and it wasnt that bad...

stay away from low-recoil ammo most of the time it doesn't cycle...

will do.....I think I will just only run 2.75" ammo through my shotgun, I have no interest in 3" shells

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why no 3"? Recoil?

Yeah, I fear the recoil....the biggest gun I have ever fired was a collapsible stock AK47 as a teenager, followed by an AR15A2.

After a while I got used to the recoil on the AR15, but I do remember coming home with sore shoulders after a whole day firing the AR15.

I'm a skinny guy, and pretty "lightweight" for my height, so I dont know how the recoil will be. I guess I'll have to let you know when I actually get to fire my gun....once I pick it up.

But for the time being, I'm gonna head to the range this weekend and fire off a few hundred rounds out of my new Ruger 10/22 rifle I bought....and in the meantime I will see if I get get my red-dot sights dialed in.

Yeah, I fear the recoil....the biggest gun I have ever fired was a collapsible stock AK47 as a teenager, followed by an AR15A2.

After a while I got used to the recoil on the AR15, but I do remember coming home with sore shoulders after a whole day firing the AR15.

I'm a skinny guy, and pretty "lightweight" for my height, so I dont know how the recoil will be. I guess I'll have to let you know when I actually get to fire my gun....once I pick it up.

But for the time being, I'm gonna head to the range this weekend and fire off a few hundred rounds out of my new Ruger 10/22 rifle I bought....and in the meantime I will see if I get get my red-dot sights dialed in.

I wouldn't rule out 3" rounds, it all depends on the round and what you are shooting, there are hotter 2.75 rounds than some 3"

The first shotgun I ever shot was a Remington 870, that gun has absolutely nothing to reduce recoil, I remember shooting 2.75 00 buckshot and after 6 rounds I wanted to cry... not really but I was in a world of hurt.

I can shoot a 100 rounds of 3" magnum slugs out of my M4 and there no pain at all. Sure there is recoil like someone gave you a shove with an open hand, but its no big deal at all. If you did that with an 870 it would feel like someone hitting you with a hammer a 100 times.

In both cases your body is pushed back a bit, but one hurts and one doesn't

For clays I like to shoot Fiocchi 2.75 super crushers 1400fps You could shoot a 1000 of em in a day and have no ill effects...

The M4 does such a great job with recoil, just shoot whatever you can with it... Just don't forget to buy a cylinder choke for slugs.

I wouldn't rule out 3" rounds, it all depends on the round and what you are shooting, there are hotter 2.75 rounds than some 3"

The first shotgun I ever shot was a Remington 870, that gun has absolutely nothing to reduce recoil, I remember shooting 2.75 00 buckshot and after 6 rounds I wanted to cry... not really but I was in a world of hurt.

I can shoot a 100 rounds of 3" magnum slugs out of my M4 and there no pain at all. Sure there is recoil like someone gave you a shove with an open hand, but its no big deal at all. If you did that with an 870 it would feel like someone hitting you with a hammer a 100 times.

In both cases your body is pushed back a bit, but one hurts and one doesn't

For clays I like to shoot Fiocchi 2.75 super crushers 1400fps You could shoot a 1000 of em in a day and have no ill effects...

The M4 does such a great job with recoil, just shoot whatever you can with it... Just don't forget to buy a cylinder choke for slugs.

cool, I'll keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, what type of ammo can I buy in bulk for my M4??

I'd like to buy good quality ammo in bulk and not spend too much money

cool, I'll keep that in mind.

Meanwhile, what type of ammo can I buy in bulk for my M4??

I'd like to buy good quality ammo in bulk and not spend too much money

That all depends on what you are going to do with your gun? Shoot clays? Shoot metal targets?, shoot ducks?, shoot big game? Shoot people with less lethal rounds? Shoot paper targets? Shoot watermelons? Home defense?

A shotgun can shoot many kinds of ammo, buckshot, rubber bullets, bean bags, slugs, target loads, tri-balls, tasers, tracers, ink, birdshot, turkey loads, etc...

Tell us more about the types of things you are gonna be doing with your gun before we can recommend ammo

That all depends on what you are going to do with your gun? Shoot clays? Shoot metal targets?, shoot ducks?, shoot big game? Shoot people with less lethal rounds? Shoot paper targets? Shoot watermelons? Home defense?

A shotgun can shoot many kinds of ammo, buckshot, rubber bullets, bean bags, slugs, target loads, tri-balls, tasers, tracers, ink, birdshot, turkey loads, etc...

Tell us more about the types of things you are gonna be doing with your gun before we can recommend ammo

The things I see myself using the M4 for would be for close quarters home defense, paper target shooting, shooting home made targets i.e. watermelons, old applicances like tv's microwaves etc....

The things I see myself using the M4 for would be for close quarters home defense, paper target shooting, shooting home made targets i.e. watermelons, old applicances like tv's microwaves etc....

Everyone has their opinion about home defense, I live in Los Angeles and the distance from my bedroom to my neighbors bedroom is about 5 feet. So penetration is a huge consideration for me. I want to kill my attacker not my neighbors. I like 2.75" Winchester Super X #1 Shot. Which had 16 .30 projectiles in each cartridge. In some situations you may be able to only get one shot off so the idea of 16 hot lead balls flying in the direction of my attacker sounds good to me.

Also if you keep your M4 loaded you should change the magazine spring about every 6 months.

I buy most of my ammo online from able's ammo. I think their prices are fair, great customer service and you don't have to pay sales tax. If you buy ammo in the City of Los Angeles, they take your thumb print and keep track of how much ammo you buy.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10480_14626_11576_16377_11604&products_id=73310

For shooting at melons and old appliances, I would use 000 Buckshot. 2.75 will give you 8 .36 pellets per round. I would prefer 3" will give you 10 .26 pellets per round.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73314

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73070

For shooting at paper, you can shoot anything really...

Target loads are fun so you can see the shot pattern, but slugs are also fun for target practice.

Everyone has their opinion about home defense, I live in Los Angeles and the distance from my bedroom to my neighbors bedroom is about 5 feet. So penetration is a huge consideration for me. I want to kill my attacker not my neighbors. I like 2.75" Winchester Super X #1 Shot. Which had 16 .30 projectiles in each cartridge. In some situations you may be able to only get one shot off so the idea of 16 hot lead balls flying in the direction of my attacker sounds good to me.

Also if you keep your M4 loaded you should change the magazine spring about every 6 months.

I buy most of my ammo online from able's ammo. I think their prices are fair, great customer service and you don't have to pay sales tax. If you buy ammo in the City of Los Angeles, they take your thumb print and keep track of how much ammo you buy.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=10480_14626_11576_16377_11604&products_id=73310

For shooting at melons and old appliances, I would use 000 Buckshot. 2.75 will give you 8 .36 pellets per round. I would prefer 3" will give you 10 .26 pellets per round.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73314

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=73070

For shooting at paper, you can shoot anything really...

Target loads are fun so you can see the shot pattern, but slugs are also fun for target practice.

I'll keep that website in mind

thanks for the suggestions...

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is a spring inside the pistol grip?

There is no spring inside the pistol grip assembly.

I would suggest using the bolt handle to push the pin and not the firing pin...

Agreed. However, there is a discrepancy in the M4 box manual. Page 58 suggests the use of the firing pin...

1-1.png

...The associated image (fig. 40) clearly shows the bolt handle being used...

2.png