Mesa Tactical Side Saddles

Super M4

I finally got me a another side saddle today on my supernova to match my M4. These things are great but since Im so used to the M4, no matter how I manage to hold the forend my hand keeps slamming into the shells. Not a real major issue since the Super Nova is my secondary weapon if the M4 ever stops shooting, which is likely never!

sidesaddlesks4.th.jpg

superm4ia0.th.jpg

I was looking at those Mesa Tactical side saddles. Are they difficult to install? I have been looking at either the side saddle version from Mesa or just a plain picatinny rail from another vender.

I took my SNT apart, best I could but I could not get the trigger assembly out. I read somewhere that you have to not remove, but loosen the stock. Any truth?

Did you need to put locktite on with the screws?

Interested to see your comments concerning fitting a 6 shot carrier to your SNT.

I also fitted the six shot version. I suspect that experiences of 'interference' - with the hand/wrist catching the side rail are a function of the manner in which you hold the fore-end. I've not had that problem ( I seem to be holding the fore-end with a more forward hold than some people would). However, I suspect that the 8 shot version would result in whacking the hand / wrist against the front cartridges and rail.

The 'work around' would seem to be practising using a forward hold!

As for fitting a Mesa rail, I think that the SNT models are shipped to the US already tapped. My standard SN had to be drilled and tapped using the Mesa rail as a template for the screw locations. The top of the Benelli SN receiver does seem a little thin and I would advocate using something like loctite and NOT removing the rail once fitted.

After about 2000+ rounds, with an EoTech fitted on the rail, I've had no problems of movement etc.

Regards

AndyUK

If u have the standard stock version of the Super Nova all u have to do is take the trigger pins out and the trigger group will come out. If you have the Super Nova Pistol Grip stock just pull the rubber butt pad off the stock then take the bolt out of the stock and it will come off, remove the trigger pins the trigger group will pop right out. slide the bolt to the rear, depress the bolt inside the carrier it will lift out and the action bars will be free and the forend will slide off the mag tube. Take a small punch and push the plastic inserts out of the top of the receiver from the inside. Place the Mesa Side Saddle on top and use the 4 screws and blue loctite that is supplied with the kit. As for my gun the 6 rd saddle is coming off and im getting the 4rd saddle instead. Went out shooting again today and its just not going to work for me, i hold too far back on the forend it smacks me every time.

• 1 month later...

I have the Classic nova. I don't want to assume the Mesa saddle is backwards compatible so some answers from some experienced users would be helpful to me. I'm not gonna ask Mesa because they want to sell it.

Also... does the shell carrier seem to interfer with dexterity? I imagine the shell loops could possibly interfer with or hinder my trigger hand during rapid draw rapid fire or transition between freehand to high ready. So Nothing will prevent me from sliding my trigger finger into the trigger guard? Sometimes I slide my trigger hand around on the grip, so if my thumb is blocked I can't reach the trigger. So it's like I slide my hand forward but I can't reach the trigger because my thumb is preventing me from puting my trigger on the trigger.

Then there is strongside to weakside transition. Does the saddle create a problem while shooting left handed?

I'd appreciate all input.

Mesa's website and forum don't mention the Nova, only the SuperNova (obviously, plenty of mention of the autos).

My dealings with this company have been very good - for a quick response ring them and they will tell you. it would be highly counterproductive of them to tell you it would work with a Nova if it wouldn't - you'd come straight back here and moan about it!

As with all accessories one needs to learn a new 'manual of arms' to a certain extent. It may seem awkward until you've re-programmed yourself to the new layout. I'm not sure how a side rail would interfere with the trigger finger - I know two 'lefties' who've used mine without any problem. Indeed the issue that some right handed people have, where the wrist of the 'pump' hand catches the leading edge of the rail is NOT a problem at all for lefties. Personally, I would not use the 8 shot - stick with the 6 shot; the 8 is too long and shooting right handed you might catch your 'pump' hand more readily.

At the end of the day, spend money on ammo and practice with any new accessories until you are fully attuned.

All the best

Andy UK

I don't mean so much the compatibity as the dexterity. I mean since they are in business to sell components they will tell a potential consumer that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. That's why I want an opinion from a consumer not an employee.

I know it says it doesn't mention the classic nova but it doesn't say it doesn't fit the classic nova. I can read to. I didn't ask for some know it all sarcasm. You don't know so appeantly you haven't attempted to put the compenent on one.

I'm sure I could attempt to custom fit it by making some shims if I need to. That is if the recievers are that much different. But it would just be easier to buy a Remington 870. Not only because I don't want to make a slop job of fitting it on there but also because the lack of parts and mods avaliable for the Benelli pump is beginning to piss me off.

Utimately if those shell loops tend to get in the way I won't bother with the mesa saddle. I'll just get the B-Square saddle because I really want the weaver platform. I don't want to drill holes in my reciever to find out the shell loops get in the way. With the B-Square saddle I can just use the trigger guard pin slots to mount it.

So if you have no experience with a classic nova and the mesa saddle just disregard message. It seems no one here has tried it. as for custom fitting I may lose the low profile after it has been adapted. Whuch would cause it to get in the way.

I figured there must have been someone who tried it. No big deal though. Big red shells stripped along side the reciever defeats the purpose of having a black gun anyway.

Are those night sights on that Nova Barrel custom or market? I haven't been able to find any replacement sights for the nova 18.5" barrel anywhere. I don't like ghost ring nor any other style of peep sight. I prefer open rifle sights.

The wonderful thing about advice ..... you can ignore it!

If you don't like the fact that people are trying to be helpful then don't ask questions. People here try to be genuinely helpful.

Being abusive doesn't help and guarantees that no-one will try to be helpful to you in the future.

AndyUK

The wonderful thing about advice ..... you can ignore it!

If you don't like the fact that people are trying to be helpful then don't ask questions. People here try to be genuinely helpful.

Being abusive doesn't help and guarantees that no-one will try to be helpful to you in the future.

AndyUK

You came off as being sarcastic. I felt insulted. I don't have much patience with this stuff because when it comes to guns everyone is an expert yet nobody has any experience. So I though you were just being prick.

Anyway, I contacted Mesa and they were telling that parts that I know aren't compatible with the receiver.

It's really a matter of convenience. It works good for the 500 and 870 but it's not an option for the classic nova. I could just figure something out.

I'm thinking. I could get a B-Square saddle, a tacStar or Mesa shell carrier and a rear sling plate. Find some extended screws and make some shims then bend snip and tap the sling plate. I may have to carve the back side of the shell carrier a little bit but that's no big deal. Once I get all fitted properly I can just attach all with the screws through the holes that the drift pins for the trigger guard go in.

Now I know everything I need to know. Even though we seem to have misunderstood each other I do appreciate the help.

Yeah these side saddles are great. I didn't strip the screws when installing them. They began to walk themselves out with blue loctite on them at my last 3 gun match. So i got home and tightened them back up. Only about 2-3 threads actually make it into the receiver and wouldn't tighten any further it would then just spin in the hole. Therefore meaning my receiver is now stripped out. I guess from recoil somehow worked the screws loose. The gun has over 2,000 rounds thru it since the Mesa saddle was installed. So basically now I have only 3 screws holding this thing in. I went out shooting today and got about 75 rounds down the pipe, no problem. On my last box of ammo, middle of shooting about 3 rounds into it, the whole side saddle comes right off. I get home and look at this thing and try putting the screws in without the rail on there and they turn in fine but u can pull them out with your hand. I get my factory rail and screws w/ washers out and hand thread them in without the rail and they go in no problem. Then I install them on the gun with the rail and its rock solid. U can't even pull it off. Sao basically only the first few threads in my receiver are stripped out, since the factory screws go in further past the stripped part. The Mesa rail is taller and uses longer screws but they dont make enough contact with the M4 receiver. Mesa recommended installing Helicoils and having the receiver retapped, but does anyone know someone that can accomplish this, or should I just leave the facory one on there? PICS!

fuckedup2qh1.jpg

multimedma198238110001vn9.jpg

Yeah these side saddles are great. I didn't strip the screws when installing them. They began to walk themselves out with blue loctite on them at my last 3 gun match. So i got home and tightened them back up. Only about 2-3 threads actually make it into the receiver and wouldn't tighten any further it would then just spin in the hole. Therefore meaning my receiver is now stripped out. I guess from recoil somehow worked the screws loose. The gun has over 2,000 rounds thru it since the Mesa saddle was installed. So basically now I have only 3 screws holding this thing in. I went out shooting today and got about 75 rounds down the pipe, no problem. On my last box of ammo, middle of shooting about 3 rounds into it, the whole side saddle comes right off. I get home and look at this thing and try putting the screws in without the rail on there and they turn in fine but u can pull them out with your hand. I get my factory rail and screws w/ washers out and hand thread them in without the rail and they go in no problem. Then I install them on the gun with the rail and its rock solid. U can't even pull it off. Sao basically only the first few threads in my receiver are stripped out, since the factory screws go in further past the stripped part. The Mesa rail is taller and uses longer screws but they dont make enough contact with the M4 receiver. Mesa recommended installing Helicoils and having the receiver retapped, but does anyone know someone that can accomplish this, or should I just leave the facory one on there? PICS!

fuckedup2qh1.jpg

multimedma198238110001vn9.jpg

I guess I'll be the first to say SH** on your behalf! What a bummer. Sounds like this saddle should have shipped with longer screws in the first place and none of this would have happened!