R1 purchase decision

shell waster

The wife is eyeballing a .30-06 carbine R1, she likes the looks of it. She has .243 A-bolt and wants a bigger caliber for bigger game (elk/moose). Does the R-1 have less recoil because of the gas port, Benelli does not come right out and say that. Wosrt case is we buy another A-bolt with a boss but neither of us want the loud crack it produces. The BAR is to heavy and bulky compared to the R1. Suggestions, has anyone felt the recoil of an R1? Is it reliable,problems etc. Thanks

[ 07-01-2004, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: shell waster ]

I bought one chambered in 30-06 last night. I am going to pick it up tonight I will let you know what I think of it after I shoot it. I would have preferred the 300 but got too good a deal to pass up, and since the barrel is interchangeable I can switch at some time. Matt

[email protected]

Here is a review I found.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/long_guns/benelli_1027/

I have bought my 30-06 a few months back , and must say i'm very pleased with it . So far i fired 'bout 300 rounds of various type'a loads , and quite honestly Recoil isn't bad , not bad at all . I can't tell you exact pressure pound to pound , but i made a few reloads and tested them in both Benelli R1 and BAR . Comparing the two , BAR gave a recoil with 150 gr SP bullet similar to Benelli loaded with 180gr SP , so thats a Quite a difference ( all loads made with imr 4320 powder ) . Like with any semi-auto , recoil "feels" more like a powerful push , comparing to instantenous jolt of any bolt action rifle .

I know this whole "testing" isn't exactly proper way to go , but after million questions from people at the range , i decided to compare these two the way Anyone could understand . In general Benelli R1 is the weapon of choice , easy breakdown of a weapon makes cleaning a snap , ability to adjust drop of the stock is a nice addition , picatinny rail ( included )for scope mixed with quick detach rings is a very good idea especially if you choose to hunt russian bore .

Overall , i'm very pleased with Benelli R1 , good looks and great accuracy make this weapon one of my favorites .

(Now if i could only get my hands on those open sights as shown on european models hehe )

________

Kitchen Measures

Edited by phenom101

BUY IT !! The gun has proven itself to me at least. I've got a 300 mag topped with a Bushnell 4200 elite 2.5-16x40 and shoot Federals 150 and 180 grn trophy bonded bearclaws and she puts the hurt on the animal and not me. 3-shots and 3-animals. I also own an older BAR and the differences to me are clear as day. The main thing being it's around 2 lbs lighter and recoil management is outstanding.

When I seasoned the barrel I was getting 3-4", 5 round groups at 200yrds at prone. I've yet to put it on a bench and dial it in but, I expect I'll be able to tighten it up to 2-3" w/o a question with those rounds.

No problems yet, it cycles great. cleaning is a snap and it looks pretty good too but, that is the last thing I was thinking about.

The 06 you're looking at should be a great gun also! Expect typical Benelli quality!! In its class it's second to none!

well.. . I was able to shoot my r-1 for the first time this past weekend. I am very impressed with this gun. At 100 yards I had all four rounds touching each other in spread of about 3/4 of an inch shooting form a bench without a rest. The recoil is very light. I shot 40 rounds and didn't really notice it at all. The only problem is the barrel nut. It comes loose after just a few shots. The person I bought it from sent it back to Benelli and they replaced the nut and made a few adjustments but it still comes loose. I think I will send it back again. I was a little worried when I saw the test target that came with the gun. Had about a 1 1/2 group. This however has not changed my mind as to the quality of the gun. In fact I am likely to purchase another today. SO if someone is looking for one I may have one to sell for around $800.

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by shell waster:

The wife is eyeballing a .30-06 carbine R1, she likes the looks of it. She has .243 A-bolt and wants a bigger caliber for bigger game (elk/moose). Does the R-1 have less recoil because of the gas port, Benelli does not come right out and say that. Wosrt case is we buy another A-bolt with a boss but neither of us want the loud crack it produces. The BAR is to heavy and bulky compared to the R1. Suggestions, has anyone felt the recoil of an R1? Is it reliable,problems etc. Thanks

I just picked up my .300 Win Mag R1 today... very excited about trying it out... probably be a couple days though... my scope won't be in until tomorrow. I'll let you know all about it once I take it out to the range.

Switching gears now: does anyone have any info on purchasing a spare magazine and the iron sights? I emailed customer support about a week ago but no reply as yet... grrrr.... I'd love to have these parts to compliment this beautiful rifle. Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by shell waster:

Went to the range yesterday and here's my experience. After about 12 rounds fired through my .300 Win Mag my shoulder was hurting so bad I hated to pull the trigger anymore. The problem with that is that I was sighting in a new scope that had been bore-sighted and needed more shots (went the wrong way once... ack!) to bring it in. Finally grabbed a towel, folded it several times and draped it over my shoulder so I could continue for repeatability after a 20 minute barrel cool-down between magazines. Last group was around 2" at 100 yards but I don't know how much error was due to the anticipated "kick" I was sure to get... LOL! I realize this is a magnum gun, but in relation, I shot my friends BAR .300 Win Mag and the recoil was very mild, actually a joy to shoot. Don't get me wrong, I do like my new R1, but if I had to do it all again, I'd probably go with the BAR due to the pain factor.... LOL! I'm currently searching for any info to modify the stock or add a muzzle-brake to ease the kick I'm getting. Does anyone know where I can get a 30-06 barrel/bolt assy, spare mags, and iron sights? Anxious to add these parts to this toy.

[ 08-01-2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: Pokey ]