M4 disassembly question

LouDiamond

Let me preface with: I did a search and didn't find anyone who has had the following issue. I read the owners manual as well as watched a very well done video on disassembly. None of which addresses my problem.

I own the camo M4 model 11717 and don't care for the camo finish and am attempting to disassemble it so I can Duracoat it the color I want. I can take it apart with the exception of removing the barrel and foregrips. The manual shows the removal of the fore grips by pushing them forward and sliding them downward to remove them prior to removing the barrel(bolt is locked to the rear as illustrated in the manual). I have attempted to remove the foregrips to no avail. The video I watched showed the removal of the barrel without removing the foregrips, which I am also unable to do.

The foregrip has a lip at the upper most part that it appears needs to clear the metal lip attached to the receiver prior to pushing it downward and removing it. No matter how much I push the foregrip forwards, it does not compress enough to allow the foregrip to move downwards. I have moved it forward enough to see that the barrel begins to separate from the receiver but never enough to completely remove the foregrip. I have achieved this with the aid of a flat head screw driver and have caused a few nicks in the plastic foregrip to my dismay. I am at the point where I don't want to try anything else for fear of damaging the foregrips more than I already have. I simply cannot believe that all M4s are this difficult to disassemble. Does anyone have any hints or useful advice on how to remove the foregrips and has anyone else experienced this before?

Take the tube cap off. Open the slide , Pull the barrel out and the foregrips should just pop out with it. I have the same gun

I have done all of those things minus the part where the barrel should slide out. No matter how hard I pull on the barrel, it doesn't come free from the receiver.

Let me also add that I purchased the gun already assembled from the store.

I have done all of those things minus the part where the barrel should slide out. No matter how hard I pull on the barrel, it doesn't come free from the receiver.

Let me also add that I purchased the gun already assembled from the store.

try taking the Picatinny Rail off the top of the receiver, it could be that they are tightend too tight and its puting pressure down onto the barrel.

try taking the Picatinny Rail off the top of the receiver, it could be that they are tightend too tight and its puting pressure down onto the barrel.

I removed the Pic rail and still no joy. I even removed the trigger group and stock to see if it helped and nothing. I have however managed to pry the foregrips off and with a little bit of sanding and Duracoat they should be fine. The barrel still does not want to come out of the receiver. It has come out about 1" but that is it. I have sprayed the inside of the receiver with lubrication and even applied a little bit of gentle hammer action to try and loosen things up.....still no luck. I am going to let it set over night and allow the lube to work on things. Hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck at removing the barrel. This is my first Benelli and so far I am not impressed. I hope it shoots better than it disassembles.

I removed the Pic rail and still no joy. I even removed the trigger group and stock to see if it helped and nothing. I have however managed to pry the foregrips off and with a little bit of sanding and Duracoat they should be fine. The barrel still does not want to come out of the receiver. It has come out about 1" but that is it. I have sprayed the inside of the receiver with lubrication and even applied a little bit of gentle hammer action to try and loosen things up.....still no luck. I am going to let it set over night and allow the lube to work on things. Hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck at removing the barrel. This is my first Benelli and so far I am not impressed. I hope it shoots better than it disassembles.

thats really wierd for htat to be happening to your M4, anfter you unscrew the tube cap the barrel should litterally fall outta the receiver if you'd point the gun down. sorry wish i could give give you more advise but thats just too odd can't think of anything.

I would send the gun to benelli at this point...

you have to be able to field strip your gun to properly clean and maintain it.

When you take the mag tube cap off, your barrel should literally slide, even fall, right out of the receiver with little to no resistance. The handguards should fall right off as soon as the barrel is an inch of so out.

I dunno why it would be hard for you to take it out. It's the easiest part of the disassembly.

When you take the mag tube cap off, your barrel should literally slide, even fall, right out of the receiver with little to no resistance. The handguards should fall right off as soon as the barrel is an inch of so out.

I dunno why it would be hard for you to take it out. It's the easiest part of the disassembly.

Thats how mine is. As soon as I take the cap nut off, you better have your hands on something because mine basically falls appart the second you pull forward on the bbl.

As said before. I cant see what the problem is.

Well after setting over night with lube on the weapon I attempted to remove the barrel this morning. It moved slightly by hand but not much past the 1" already exposed. At this point I tried what I had initially done and placed my left foot on the base of the front sight and the right foot on the sling mount. Holding the pistol grip and the butt stock with my hands I began pulling with my arms and pushing with my feet. Right when I thought I'd give myself a hernia, the barrel came apart from the receiver. After inspecting the two parts, there is nothing to give an indication of why it was so hard to separate the two parts. No signs of binding or scrapping or any deformation,etc. Now the two parts slide in and out as everyone has said they should. I have no idea what caused this, what an ordeal.

Now I will degrease and begin applying Duracoat as planned.

Just finished Duracoating it and a few other guns. It came out pretty good, a lot better looking than the desert factory camo job it came with. As soon as it cures a bit more, I'll assemble it and post some pictures of it.

I have discovered what caused the barrel to not want to come out initially. As was pointed out, there is very little space between the fake mag extension and the round piece of metal it must pass through to secure the nut. I found this out as I attempted to assemble the weapon. The very light coat of Duracoat that I had sprayed on the tube and on the inside of the metal ring was too much to allow the tube into the ring. I remember seeing some of the factory beige coating on the inside of the ring after I had taken it apart. I believe this to be the source of my initial problem.

I sanded the inside of the ring down until the factory beige was also gone. I had to also remove some of the Dura coat on the tube to allow it to fit properly into the ring. That said, there are a few areas I'll touch up later on but for the most part I am happy with the outcome.

for some reason I cannot upload photos. I get a message saying I am maxed out on photos but I have never uploaded anything and I don't see a way to delete anything.

Here are the links to the pictures .

BEFORE

AFTER 1

AFTER 2

BONUS

• 3 weeks later...
im gonna say its a nice looking gun, only cause its a M4... but seriously dude it looks like someone just shat all over it.

Thats pretty much how I felt about the factory camo job. However,it might help you see it better if you wipe whatever is on your screen off.