REVIEW:*** Dave's Metal Works. 1pc +2 Mag tube for M4***

No F-Bdy Bs

Picked up this Benelli M4 last Oct. It came with the Col stock, but the factory -2 mag cap. I havent had much time to play with it between work and what not, so I just left it alone for a while. Got a 3-gun match comming up next weekend, and I wanted the use the M4, and +2 would really come in handy.

I ordered the 1pc +2 tube from Daves MW last week on a Monday, it showed up last Thurs. Total price to my door was $68. It showed up with the extension, and a new spring.

Daves piece is a nice design,clean threads, and very finshed looking. Also, the color actually matches the gun better than the OEM Benelli piece.

As for the install, removing the stock tube is much easier than people make it out to be. Just for kicks, I tried to loosen it with no heat, and just my hands, but that ******* wouldnt budge. I wrapped the receiver in some shop rags, and stuck it in a vice, only clamping it down just enough to keep the gun from rotating. I would suggest that if you use a vice, you do the same as I would imagine the alum reciver would destort pretty easy if you clamped it down to hard.

I used a heat gun on the receiver, right where the stock piece screws in. You do not want to heat the extension, and heat will make it expand inside the receiver, causing it to be harder to remove. I moved the heat gun from side to side for less than 2 min. I would imagine that the temp of the materal was about 160-180 at this point. At this time, I was able to unscrew the stock piece with one hand very easy. No gloves, as the heat had not moved down the stock extension yet.

Again, it does not take much heat at all, but it does take some to "break" the compound that Benelli uses. I would not use a torch, or the like as I wouldnt want to put it against the stock finish.

At this time, I hand screwed the Daves piece into the receiver while it was still warm. As it cools, it will get tighter. I only used my hands to tighten it as the stock piece was not very tight. I did bow up on it, but didnt use a strap wrench. Also, I decided against using any compound when putting it back together. Looking at the design, there is no way it can come loose.

Just a while ago, I took her out for a test run.

I wanted to try some reduced recoil buckshot, along with some standard buckshot, and a regular box of #6 shot.

As always, the M4 ran flawless. Ate eveything I fed it. I have yet to have it fail one time. These guns ROCK!!

Now with Daves piece on there, and +9 capicity, it packs some firepower, and can empty all 9 in a little over 2 seconds.

I can 100% recommed Daves Piece. Between the quality and the excellent price, I have no problem giving it a 10/10/:)

You should be able to pick up a heat gun at any hardware type store. Sears, Lowes Home D, ect. I think mine is a Craftsman.

As for the Loctite, I cant see that it would hurt, but looking at the design, I couldnt see that it was needed.

Since the mag tube screws into the receiver, and you have the cap nut that secures the bbl to the mag tube, on the other side of a ring, you would have to loose the cap nut, then have the mag tube work itself loose on top of that. I dont see it happening, but whatever gives you peace of mind.

I applied the heat gun directly to the receiver. I had it on low, and it never got hot enough to damage anything. Granted, I removed ALL of the guts of the receiver before I started this.

I would guess that after a heavy round that your receiver would get damn near as hot as I got mine today. Which still wasnt anywhere close to 200deg. Whatever Benelli is using breaks loose at a fairly low temp. Id estimate 150deg.

I have been at work, but ill get some pics up asap.

Where can I buy a heat gun?? Home Depot?

Also once I install my extension tube, I might just use loctite blue on the threads, since it isnt as permanent as the red one... what do you guys think??

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-9756-Dual-Temperature/dp/B0000302U8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1206382083&sr=8-6

I got the heat gun above, but every hardware store on earth should have a heat gun for sale...

while the receiver was hot and the green crap was melted I quickly screwed in the new tube... I have shot over a 1000 rounds since and it hasn't budged. I used a sharpie to mark its original position after I installed it... It isn't going anywhere...

Heads up.

While moving some stuff around today, I realized that I put my M4 back together with the OEM mag tube spring.

The gun ran flawless with the OEM unit in there, but I put the longer spring that Dave supplied in there today. Apparently, the stock spring works fine. I swaped them out for peace of mind.

Where can I buy a heat gun?? Home Depot?

Also once I install my extension tube, I might just use loctite blue on the threads, since it isnt as permanent as the red one... what do you guys think??

I used a propane torch...took about 1 -2- minutes and two people. One to torch, the other to twist off the tube.

I completely stripped the gun down to the stock, receiver, and mag tube. Turned the torch down to a minimal setting, sprayed it through the hole in which the barrel resides and sprayed the receiver section where the mag. tube threads in. Quick and dirty...and no damage to the gun.

I did notice that when I removed the stock spring, retaining clip and follower, they were oily. Based upon that, I'd recommend lightly re-lubing the inside of the new mag. tube prior to reassembly. Mine will be thoroughly cleaned and treated with Militec-1 prior to installation.

Has anyone compared the stock spring to the one included with Dave's tubes? Same size? Same compression rate? I ordered my tube from Joe because I have a Camo M4 and he can match one of the colors, but I know he uses the stock spring assembly. I guess I'm just curious why Dave would include a different one when the stock one supposedly works. Also, does Benelli use a different spring for their factory +2 tubes?

P.S. I'll be using blue Loctite as well,

Heads up.

While moving some stuff around today, I realized that I put my M4 back together with the OEM mag tube spring.

The gun ran flawless with the OEM unit in there, but I put the longer spring that Dave supplied in there today. Apparently, the stock spring works fine. I swaped them out for peace of mind.

From my understanding the M4 has only 1 size factory spring. They use the same spring in units that ship with a full tube. I am using my factory spring in my M4 with socomguy's full length tube, no problems at all. I keep my gun loaded all the time so I will change out the spring after about 9 months...

12-Banger,

Go easy on the lube, you don't want to get it on your shells... also I wouldn't use more than 2 drops of loctite...

Picked up this Benelli M4 last Oct. It came with the Col stock, but the factory -2 mag cap. I havent had much time to play with it between work and what not, so I just left it alone for a while. Got a 3-gun match comming up next weekend, and I wanted the use the M4, and +2 would really come in handy.

I ordered the 1pc +2 tube from Daves MW last week on a Monday, it showed up last Thurs. Total price to my door was $68. It showed up with the extension, and a new spring.

Daves piece is a nice design,clean threads, and very finshed looking. Also, the color actually matches the gun better than the OEM Benelli piece.

As for the install, removing the stock tube is much easier than people make it out to be. Just for kicks, I tried to loosen it with no heat, and just my hands, but that ******* wouldnt budge. I wrapped the receiver in some shop rags, and stuck it in a vice, only clamping it down just enough to keep the gun from rotating. I would suggest that if you use a vice, you do the same as I would imagine the alum reciver would destort pretty easy if you clamped it down to hard.

I used a heat gun on the receiver, right where the stock piece screws in. You do not want to heat the extension, and heat will make it expand inside the receiver, causing it to be harder to remove. I moved the heat gun from side to side for less than 2 min. I would imagine that the temp of the materal was about 160-180 at this point. At this time, I was able to unscrew the stock piece with one hand very easy. No gloves, as the heat had not moved down the stock extension yet.

Again, it does not take much heat at all, but it does take some to "break" the compound that Benelli uses. I would not use a torch, or the like as I wouldnt want to put it against the stock finish.

At this time, I hand screwed the Daves piece into the receiver while it was still warm. As it cools, it will get tighter. I only used my hands to tighten it as the stock piece was not very tight. I did bow up on it, but didnt use a strap wrench. Also, I decided against using any compound when putting it back together. Looking at the design, there is no way it can come loose.

Just a while ago, I took her out for a test run.

I wanted to try some reduced recoil buckshot, along with some standard buckshot, and a regular box of #6 shot.

As always, the M4 ran flawless. Ate eveything I fed it. I have yet to have it fail one time. These guns ROCK!!

Now with Daves piece on there, and +9 capicity, it packs some firepower, and can empty all 9 in a little over 2 seconds.

I can 100% recommed Daves Piece. Between the quality and the excellent price, I have no problem giving it a 10/10/:)

Would you please post some pictures? Thanks.

From my understanding the M4 has only 1 size factory spring. They use the same spring in units that ship with a full tube. I am using my factory spring in my M4 with socomguy's full length tube, no problems at all. I keep my gun loaded all the time so I will change out the spring after about 9 months...

12-Banger,

Thats what I figured. Then I looked up the part, and its the same for all models. The Benelli unit is about 4in shorter than the one that Daves supplied.

Actually, I think i may got back to the stock one. It was much easier to load without all that extra spring in there.

7 shells?? is that the absolute known maximum?

7 shells in the magazine yes, you can have 1 in the chamber and 1 ghost loaded that brings you up to 9.

http://www.menichetti.org/M4/DSCN9814.MOV

Video on how to ghost load your M4, it takes a little practice to get it right, but once you know how it's easy...

almost 200MB so a very long load time...

7 shells in the magazine yes, you can have 1 in the chamber and 1 ghost loaded that brings you up to 9.

http://www.menichetti.org/M4/DSCN9814.MOV

Video on how to ghost load your M4, it takes a little practice to get it right, but once you know how it's easy...

almost 200MB so a very long load time...

Thanks, I'm downloading it now..... I am leaving for an overseas vacation tomorrow, and wont be back until 4/16, and right when I return I will go pick up my M4 from the gunshop....

I cannot wait to bring her home...!!!!