mark 23

sbeIIfan

• 3 weeks later...

It's a big beast. Have you ever handled one. Alot of guys compare it to a lighter version of a Desert Eagle. If I had a choice I'd go for the USP Tactical over a Mk 23 (price and size mostly) unless you plan on swimming in the swamp or the atlantic with it, hah.

By the way, if you haven't looked at them yet, check out the Sig models (my first choice). I've got a small assortment, but if you're looking .45 ACP my P220ST is the smoothest factory gun I've ever had my hands on (really smoother than alot of modified 1911s, but it's a totally different feel).

sbeIIfan, I also am a fan of the MK23, however after I held it I realized it has very limited uses. It is very, very big and heavy (51 ounces loaded) I have seen people able to conceal it on there person but they have been big (260+lbs). For that kind of money there are many other options. While I am not a big 9mm fan the SiG 226 line has many uses. The Navy 226 is very corroson resistant, and the 226 tactical has a threaded barrel to mount a surpressor on. The 226 can also hold 17 rounds flush in its stock. With modern ballistic technoligy, the difference between the wound channel of a .45 and a 9mm is rapidly decreasing.

Another alternative is the SiG P220 (as SigRus meantioned) or P245 both very nice .45's that are tack-driver accrit and take a lot of abuse in a small package.

The MK23mod0 is a fine sidearm but you may wish to consider all the pros and cons before you spend that kind of money.

Another consideration is the image you would have as an owner of the MK23, although the learned would know that you appreacate fine and percision crafted tools, much of the general public would not understand or look upon it favorable. Just my thoughts.

I'm in the NAVY and have spoke with a couple of people who have been issued the MK23's and the biggest complaint that they have is the size and the weight. I Love the SIG's but for reliability, weight, and rnds, I carry a GLOCK 21 in 45 acp, 13 in the mag and one chambered. It is big, but not to big to conceal, and like compared to a stainless gun.

The 226 and 229 (which I have 2 of) can also be chambered in .40 which is very adequate for kill purposes. I won't argue with rjbz2893 about Glock vs Sig, but I will say the Sig's are just as reliable (I've got a few to go by).

As for the P245, great shooting gun, but I don't like the 6+1 capacity, and if you get the extended mag, you might as well have gotten a P220. My best friend carries a 245 and loves it. It shoots almost identically to a standard P220, but my P220ST has it for shooting ease because of the extra heft, which I personally think is a good thing in a gun as long as it's not excessive.

Another thing for you to seriously consider is that some guns will fit your hands better than others. You may not like a Mk23 if you got to shoot it. I thought I'd hate the standard USP or the compact because I've never been a polymer fan after shooting a couple Glocks and an XD(no offense rjbz2893) but after shooting the HKs , I really liked the feel of them, not so for the larger variant.

SigsRus,

I also own a Sig 229 in 40 S/W, both the rnd (I carry 185gr Fed Hydra Shok) are great. I fired both the 40 usp and glock 23 before I bought my first glock, the 23. I agree with you that the one that fits your hand the best and that feels the best to you is what you should go with. If it doesn't fit or feel great in the hand when push comes to shove you won't be the best that you can. I didn't care for the HK, but will never put them down, they are also great weapons.

I did a little side by side with my 229 and 23, after 500rnds through each with no cleaning and mixing the rounds, fmj, hp, handloads, premium factory, and target loads the 229 started to jam, the glock ate everything and asked for more. I believe that if the HK was also shot the same way it would have performed as the glock did. That is the difference between a tactical weapon and a finely tuned instrument.

that's cool, all I can really say for breakin period is what I know from my Sigs, but I do know that after the first thousand rounds I've not had a single problem with mine

My P220ST has about 4500 rounds through it and I've had a total of 2 hangs the whole time, one time was bad ammo (Speer I think it was??). A very good friend of mine has a Glock23 that he absolutely loves, as does a gentleman at my church. To each his own, and just from my experience, the Sig's take about 1000 to 1500 rounds to fully break in (and boy do they feel sweet when then do). I don't carry mine till after that point.

Sheesh, though, if you want a gun that's freaking quirky, buy a Kimber. My little Eclipse Ultra shoots wonderfully, but I swear that thing is a booger before it's been worked in a little. I had all kinds of trouble with it for the first 750-1000 rounds. They're great weapons, but I wish Kimber would do something about the ramp in their guns from the factory. Mine's been custom polished with Winchester brass, haha.

Originally posted by sbeIIfan:

I was wondering if any civilian can buy A Mark 23 45.cal pistol? I am only 13 and it would be cool to have one. :D

The HK Mark 23 is THE pistol to have. It is a tack driver! And with the KAC suppressor, you don't even notice the recoil. The tactical is a fine handgun, but it is NOT a Mark 23. I own both and have shot both suppressed and unsuppressed. The HK Mark is in a class all by itself. :D 100_0874.jpg 100_1063.jpg 100_0764.jpg

Red Cobra, very nice choice of weapons. However, I dare say you're not going to carry either one of those around in your pants with a suppressor on it. If you need a babysitter for one of them though I'd be glad to take the job smile.gif What sear do you have in the G36?

SBEIIfan, like Cleric said, wait till you can worry about it, and if you want a gun to target shoot with or you plan to be a SEAL/SWAT member, get a Mk23. Otherwise, go to a range with your dad (or whoever you can) and start learning some practical guns. 75% of the SEALS I've talked to, along with a friend that is a SWAT team leader say they'd choose a Sig over the Mk23 even though it's a beautiful weapon. Practical wins out over the Ubergun man.

SigsRus - Actually it isn't a G36 but an HK SL8-1. It is semi-automatic only. It has been SBR'd. Yes, the P226 has been favored by the Teams, however I have different stats about the use of the Mark 23 in the SEAL community. It about a 50/50 split between Team members. My two good friends still prefer the Mark 23 for spec-ops use. Also the Sig P226 is going to be replaced within a year. HK is the front runner with their new HK45. Yes, the Mark 23 is not a concealable weapon, but it wasn't designed for that. My duty weapon is a USP40C. It's alot more concealable than the Mark 23, however it can't match the Mark 23 for pure shooting pleasure. It has a heafty price tag at around $2400.00 new, and when you start adding a KAC suppressor and Insight Technologies LAM, it comes in at $5,000.00. Definitely not for most, and I realize that. 100_1038.jpg 100_1134.jpg