Disassembly of Action Spring

kc8upg

I took off the stock of my M1 Super 90 only to find that I was unable to disassemble the action spring for cleaning. There is a nut holding it on, but it is EXTREMELY tight. I can probably torque it off but I don't want to risk damaging something. Is there a special way to do this, or am I just going to have to torque that nut holding it?

I took off the stock of my M1 Super 90 only to find that I was unable to disassemble the action spring for cleaning. There is a nut holding it on, but it is EXTREMELY tight. I can probably torque it off but I don't want to risk damaging something. Is there a special way to do this, or am I just going to have to torque that nut holding it?

Oh, it comes off all right.

How old is your M1? Is the nut a hex nut? If so, you should be able to heat the area to break the factory lock-tite seal, and remove the nut with a wrench. I use a little propane torch. I want to say 17mm on the wrench, but I could be wrong. A closed end wrench works best for me.

Note, maybe put a nail or screw in the drain hole before you totally remove the nut. This will hold the recoil spring in place. Your forehead and/or other facial features will thank you :D

I use a 20 gauge bore brush wrapped with steel wool and attached to a drill to clean out the recoil spring tube. I usually buy a new spring from Wolff when I do the total cleaning.

I've been doing this on older Benellis for almost 20 years.