SBE II Point of impact Question.

gregor187

Have a new SBE II and have owned quite a few M1 and SBE products and all have shot low with about every shim and choke you can install..Friends tell me the SBE II will fix the problem. IT DID

This gun shoots a little Too high with the lowest point of impact shims installed.

I read on another post that someone did something to lower there POI lower with the lowest shims installed. I have searched past topics and cannot find the post.

I cannot picture the geometry in my head but was wondering about a flat washer behind locking plate. Or somehow taking a thinner shim and modifying it to fit with the D shim. And running about a shim and a half so to speak.

All experienced opinions welcome.

Anyone have an Idea.

Have a new SBE II and have owned quite a few M1 and SBE products and all have shot low with about every shim and choke you can install..Friends tell me the SBE II will fix the problem. IT DID

This gun shoots a little Too high with the lowest point of impact shims installed.

I read on another post that someone did something to lower there POI lower with the lowest shims installed. I have searched past topics and cannot find the post.

I cannot picture the geometry in my head but was wondering about a flat washer behind locking plate. Or somehow taking a thinner shim and modifying it to fit with the D shim. And running about a shim and a half so to speak.

All experienced opinions welcome.

Anyone have an Idea.

Well, this is not as simple as it sounds when it comes to aiming the SBE II (or any gun with bead sights) if you use the beads, because the shims can't really change the alignment of the sights.

Wingshooting? Sure, shims can change the POI because the angle at which you hold the gun is changed by changing the shims. Of course, this all depends on not using the beads during wingshooting, which I don't.

I have had a little luck moving POI by changing shims. It might be just the way the beads line up after changing a shim, but I can make the pattern move up and down a bit. Sometimes these minor changes are enough for me.

For waterfowl wingshooting, I use the C shim + the A shim that I ground down to increase drop.

For turkey, I use the factory B shim, aim at the base of the bird's neck, and allow the rising pattern to hit the bird pretty much squarely in the head and neck. This way I avoid pellet damage to the breast meat, and if I miss, I miss high and the bird survives to be chased another day. This way I can watch the bird's head all the way up to the shot.

Here is my POA for my SBE II (black area):

IMG_1215.jpg

Good luck!

I had the same problem when,i got my SBE2 in Dec...from what i'm told Benelli SBE2 shoot high....and believe me, i know...i end up putting the c-Shim for the lowiest drop...and it worked...from what i'm told by some shooters....you want 60% high and 40 % low on your pattern...anyways....drop the c-shim in that will give you a 2.56 in inches drop...if you need more ..take your gun and your target to a gunsmith and have him look at it....by the way what Brand of shells and load,Choke were you shooting out this SBE2 at the time...and how far were you from the Target.....i set my SBE2 with fullchoke and Black cloud number 6's my duck loads...and that got my gun on....becuase it was the tightiest.....try it and let me know...Honkers41

Lowest Shim installed. Shooting at 40 yards with all shells and chokes. I called Benelli and they are aware of this problem and have had enough complaints that a thicker shim MAY BE IN THE WORKS FOR THE FUTURE. They would not answer my question as what to do due to insurance reasons, But talked to me enough to figure out a another flat washer or two behind the locking plate may take care if my problem.

Will let you know after the Weekend.

Thanks

I have the same problem with my new SBE, 12 ga, 24" barrell. It shoots very high with their full choke and turkey loads. I tryed the c shim also and it did not improve it much, if any. I am accustomed to putting the bead on the center of my target with my other M1 benelli. I would like to hear more from your experiment or any other folks that might be able to help out.

I also changed the bead on the front....i bought a Easyhit sight and the combo of the c-shim and the bead worked perfect.....that little thing they put on the front is pitful...i could'nt find the end of the barrel half the time.... and with the higher bead you'll shoot lower....anyways try alittle mole skin or leather to drop your pattern...i would'nt go putting washers any where...little moleskin from a hobbie shop and loosen the stock up and just slip it in....also.....shoot from 20 yards first and then 30 yards...Fullchoke...aim at the lower part of the turkeys neck...not right at the head...cause you will shoot high.....let me know....Russ aka Honkers

I also changed the bead on the front....i bought a Easyhit sight and the combo of the c-shim and the bead worked perfect.....that little thing they put on the front is pitful...i could'nt find the end of the barrel half the time.... and with the higher bead you'll shoot lower....anyways try alittle mole skin or leather to drop your pattern...i would'nt go putting washers any where...little moleskin from a hobbie shop and loosen the stock up and just slip it in....also.....shoot from 20 yards first and then 30 yards...Fullchoke...aim at the lower part of the turkeys neck...not right at the head...cause you will shoot high.....let me know....Russ aka Honkers

Where did you get the Easyhit sight ??

just returned from the range with my spanking new sbeII an agree it shoots high alright.I can get it to shoot about perfect if the small rear siler bead covers the orange front bead when sighting.I tried the figure eight siver under the orange but gun shot a good eight inches higher then where i aimed.I also used my rino 660 choke tube an nitro 4x5x7 3 1/2's.Is it hard to do shims?If they make a higher front sign you must use more drop on stock to nose her down,,,,sombody please tell me i didn't buy a big mistake!!!!!!.........sonnyboy

Sonnyboy I am sure that you didnt buy a big mistake.Different ammo is gonna have a different POI,and shotguns are worse because of the lower velocity and more recoil.If you tried target loads I am sure that your POI would drop.Most shotguns are designed to shoot 60% of the pattern above,and 40% below the POA,and that is magnified with turkey loads.

Anyhow,my recommendation would be to buy a set of aftermarket sights.I have been using the Tru-glo Universal sights on my SBE.They work great and put the center of the pattern where I want it to be.I think they are about $40 for the better set and they will work on pretty much any shotgun rib.

I know there are alot of guys that use the factory bead and do great with it,I am just not one of them.Too many shotguns dont shoot to the POA with turkey loads,and with the tight patterns at close range you really need to have your pattern hit where you aim.

Hope that this is a help to ya!

• 2 weeks later...

I went trough this a couple years ago with my new M2. While changing shims might help some, it didn't help me at all. All the shells I patterned were too high.

Called Benelli and had them send me a Nova Bead which is twice or three times as big as the orginal, it brought my pattern down, shooting just the tip of the bead, in sight on the rib.

I had the same experience as perrytrails, installed a larger diameter aftermarket front bead on a SBE II (Allen Mega Bead) and an M2 SteadyGrip (Tri-Viz) and the patterns moved down. I have always aimed at the waddles anyway, so a bit lower was not that much change. Keeping your cheek weld is also important.

• 1 month later...

Issue resolved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I took a break in experimenting due to Turkey season, (used a set of adjustable gobble dots for Turkey season)

As stated in a earlier post the factory rep would not tell me how to fix due to insurance reasons. but did talk with me long enough to tell me the adjustment to fix the problem would be in the back of stock. (At the locking plates)

After reading another post who cut down a second shim and had two shims in the back to bring down some of there point of impact. And the Factory Rep saying they had customers who had custom shims made, got me to thinking.

If the factory shim is in place it is already locked in place by the lock nut so all is needed is some additional thickness. The lock nut does nothing but tightens down what is in front of it.

Instead of tieing up a lot of money with a machinest for custom shims I went to the hardware store and purchased some flat washers that fit.

Needed larger front site

Tryed the 2.5mm Easy Hit site but the rear bead now covered too much of the site.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME?

Ended up using 3.0 mm Easy Hit front site and THREE of the Flat washers.

I Have shot 3.5 inch Turkey Loads

3.5 inch Buckshot Loads

All my Duck Loads

And Target bird shot loads.

Everything I shoot now gives me a perfect 60/40 pattern.

(before the center of my patterns were a full 18 inch above my point of aim.) Death on ground targets such as deer and rabbit.

At Any rate,,,This fixed my high point of impact on my gun,/ SBE II. and I can now start enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

Saw this on a friends gun and ordered a couple for myself. You can still use factory shims only.

Hi Viz.. S-Series Magnetic Front Site Part no S300-G will fit the Super Black Eagle II. They come in green or orange and are about 16.00 dollars. They are big but you can still use your mid rib bead for ground targets. Brought me to point of impact and aim being the same from 20 yards out to 50 yards.

Good shooting and hunting to all.

• 6 months later...
Issue resolved,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I took a break in experimenting due to Turkey season, (used a set of adjustable gobble dots for Turkey season)

As stated in a earlier post the factory rep would not tell me how to fix due to insurance reasons. but did talk with me long enough to tell me the adjustment to fix the problem would be in the back of stock. (At the locking plates)

After reading another post who cut down a second shim and had two shims in the back to bring down some of there point of impact. And the Factory Rep saying they had customers who had custom shims made, got me to thinking.

If the factory shim is in place it is already locked in place by the lock nut so all is needed is some additional thickness. The lock nut does nothing but tightens down what is in front of it.

Instead of tieing up a lot of money with a machinest for custom shims I went to the hardware store and purchased some flat washers that fit.

Needed larger front site

Tryed the 2.5mm Easy Hit site but the rear bead now covered too much of the site.

WHAT WORKED FOR ME?

Ended up using 3.0 mm Easy Hit front site and THREE of the Flat washers.

I Have shot 3.5 inch Turkey Loads

3.5 inch Buckshot Loads

All my Duck Loads

And Target bird shot loads.

Everything I shoot now gives me a perfect 60/40 pattern.

(before the center of my patterns were a full 18 inch above my point of aim.) Death on ground targets such as deer and rabbit.

At Any rate,,,This fixed my high point of impact on my gun,/ SBE II. and I can now start enjoying it.

Diggin this one out.

gregor, how does adding washers (even washers) to the back of the C shim drop the POI more? It's essentially only extending the distance of the shim equally, not changing the amount it shims up/down just out/in...right?

I'm thinking the new (bigger) bead brought you down on target more, no?

• 1 month later...

Havn,t been by the site in a while and was surprised to see this post still up.

OK, If the thicker shim drops the point of impact and the lowest shooting shim is the thickest one provided by the factory to shoot lower you must have a even thicker shim. The washers are much cheaper than a custom shim. The 3.0 mm front bead by itself did not make any noticeable difference so I used the combination washer and shim .

Now the second thing I found was the Hi Viz magnetic bead, it was so large it did bring down the point of impact without regards to the shims or washers.

So the cheapest thing is buy the hi viz magnetic site and save alot of time and money. Hope this explanation answered your question.

Good shooting.

The whole shim & bead thing is a bit tricky with Benellis.

If you aim with the beads, you won't get much of a drop or lift by just changing shims. You pretty nuch have to do some bead work at the same time. I buy brass beads and work on them until I get the POI I want.

I'm not a huge fan of the adjustable turkey sights out there. With my luck, I'd break just before a road trip :(

I find having a mid-bead helps me a great deal :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Intresting thread. I bought a M2 in the summer of 2007 and test pattern chokes and loads for waterfowl hunting. I moved from a 12 ga. Remington 870 Special Purpose that had a 50:50 shot pattern and was OK for waterfowl but real deadly with a MAD turkey choke and 3" 2 oz loads. When I started test patterning the M2 I was amazed at how high it shot. At 30 yards POI was 12 - 15" high with the C shim (lowest sent with the M2). Despite other threads, there is no D shim for the M2.

I ended up calling Benelli and they agreed that this was too high for the gun to shoot. I sent a couple of patterns along with the gun. The gun came back with a 60:40 pattern with POI about 4-6" high at 22 yds. Per the return slip, Benelli claimed to have two gunsmiths double check the pattern of 60:40 by replacing the front bead with one that is larger and maybe a little taller. OK for waterfowl hunting. I bet they bent the barrel however to adjust that much.

I test patterned the M2 at 25 yrds with Federal FC #5 turkey loads (3" 2oz loads) and with an Indian Creek .665 turkey choke and if you aim right at the head, about 60% of the pattern is high. I'm looking for a fiber optic sight (like tru glo) to adjust the elevation so the POI is 50:50.

Kevin

I went trough this a couple years ago with my new M2. While changing shims might help some, it didn't help me at all. All the shells I patterned were too high.

Called Benelli and had them send me a Nova Bead which is twice or three times as big as the orginal, it brought my pattern down, shooting just the tip of the bead, in sight on the rib.

i have a nova and yes the orange bead is HUGE compaired to the SBE beads... that is my problem in shooting waterfowl. i personally like to see the bird while im shooting it, well the bigger bead put the gun lower then it should of been, so i always shot below the bird! since my ne SBE II has the smaller bead, im finding it easier to shoot with my cheek down and still see the bird (clays) just above the orange dot! and boom, and its dead!!