maybe my bad luck

Sawyer

anyones spring season already started and having problems with the birds not gobbling? i have gone every morning on the weekends and a few afternoons, only bird i have heard gobble was day before opening day..granted the weather hasnt been wonderful but still normally u can get one or two gobbles out of them, im assuming the cold weather is the reason..it will go from being a low of 55 one night to a low of 27 the next...any opinions?

i havw 2 places i hunt..im going to school in gadsden alabama right now and a buddy of mine has some land in hokes bluff AL, i live in tuscaloosa AL and my dad has some land out in fayette county, i mainly use a slate call ill use a diaphragm every now and then, im not the best on a mouth call so i let the guy i hunt with do that part of it. the property in fayette i know had atleast 6 gobblers, i saw them ab every tiume i went deer hunting..but i found out last night that a guy my dad works with owns the property next to our land he has already killed 4 of those 6 so i kno my problem there, the property in hokes bluff has atleast 8 that we kno of for sure..we saw about 10 jakes the other afternoon. i dont exactly have the prime hunting spots but i kno there is birds there i just cant figure out why they wont open there mouth

My season starts this Saturday and I will hunt turkeys until almost June.

They will gobble more on some days, and not as much on other days.

A human can only affect wildlife biology so much. As a matter of fact, what we do is generally contrary to turkey biology in the first place. A gobble is designed to attract a hen. Same for fans. In nature, the hen comes to the gobbling or fanned tom, not the other way around.

You pretty much just have to be in the field and accepting of what nature gives you on that particular day, or even that time of day.

I have found that toms will gobble sometime during every day. That you are not there to hear it, or are too far away to hear it, or whatever, is not the tom's fault. Remember, generally speaking, he ain't gobbling for your benefit :D

The key with non talkitive birds is to concentrate less on calling and more on woodsmanship.This being figuring out where the turkeys sleep,fly-down,and go once they do so.Being in a place that the birds already want to be will make the job ten times easier.Try switching up tactics from time to time,like hunting later in the morning,and catching the lonely gobbler that is wandering around,while the hens break off to go lay eggs,or staging a fight between birds with lots of purring,cutting,cackling,and slapping of a hat or turkey wing against your leg.Thinking outside the box is an important tool when things get tough.

no gobbles here in two days of season. Have seen no activity that I can tell that they are mating. toms bythemselves and hens walking around feeding. seen no chasing or struting, just don't seem like they are ready to mate. I dont know just my 2nd year but I am seeing them.