M4 Won't Feed

Cowboy Joe

My M4 will not properly feed. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't. the shell will hang up in the carrier. It seems it either does not come far eniough back from the magazine, or the carrier pinches the front against the top. I have repleced the magazine with a full sized one, using the same spring as advised. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Cowboy Joe

check where the mag tube meets the receiver. ensure there are no gaps, misalignments, or burrs. I am asuming you have stripped and cleaned everything. Does it cycle manualy (when you hit the shell release and rack the bolt (make sure you are not using live ammo)).

The factory spring should work fine with a full length tube. However, if your spring is old and you keep your gun loaded it might not have enough force to put the shell in proper position.

Does this happen with 2.75" & 3" shells?

Also how did you install your full length tube? Did you put the receiver in a vice? is it possible you may have bent the receiver?

something to think about...

My M4 would have occasional problems as well when it was really new. I solved them by liberal application of lube and good old break in. After a few hundred rounds it runs great, will blast out all 8 rounds as fast as I pull the trigger, with cheap old wally world birdshot.

I had a similar problem when mine was brand new. The solution was to shoot some 00buck and slugs, maybe 50 rounds of it, and then I swapped back to the "not so cheap anymore" wallyworld 100 round bulk packs of Federal and Winchester. Runs fine now.

Do field strip it, clean it, lube it, shoot some 00 buck and slugs or some turkey loads, then swap back to the #8 birdshot, and see if it still has the same problem.

• 2 weeks later...