Patternmaster chokes- how are they for turkey?

birdbrooks

I'm looking for feedback from any and all who've patterned and/or used the Patternmaster chokes for Turkey Hunting.

- I am considering the Patternmaster Benelli Long Range Ported choke for my M1. I'll be shooting 3" loads and would prefer to stick with #6 copper plated lead, but am also interested in knowing how any other loads work with this choke.

I hear it's awesome for buckshot but we can't use that for deer in MN :)

Any and all responses welcome-

Happy Gobbler Hunting- Birdbrooks

I have a Patternmaster choke I bought for turkey hunting.Every load I shot thru mine patterned terrible,scattered just like it was a improved cylinder or thereabouts.I never could get a pattern out of mine that would be sufficient for turkey hunting.Everything i have read about the Patternmaster since only recommends using large size shot thru it,such as buckshot.

Maybe they have started making other tubes that will work for turkey,I dunno!

I have a Patternmaster choke I bought for turkey hunting.Every load I shot thru mine patterned terrible,scattered just like it was a improved cylinder or thereabouts.I never could get a pattern out of mine that would be sufficient for turkey hunting.Everything i have read about the Patternmaster since only recommends using large size shot thru it,such as buckshot.

Maybe they have started making other tubes that will work for turkey,I dunno!

Thanks, tdaniel377. I saw on Patternmaster's web site they have what looks to be a pretty good return policy. Did you try sending yours back to them? Just curious... tough deciding what choke to get when so many of 'em are pricey.

I see them for sale at Cabela's too- maybe there's some feedback on the Cabela's site- I'll go check.

Thanks again and Good Hunting-

I am not sure about the M1 but I have a SBE and a Supernova.I have been shooting patterns with several different chokes thru my Supernova.I know that every gun is an individual but sometimes you can get a good idea from others where to start.

I have been pretty impressed by a few chokes,and others don't really stand out much.I just bought a couple of the Carlson's choke tubes and have been impressed by their performance compared to price.I bought the Carlson's .650" nonported tube and the .665" ported tube.They both performed very well with the Winchester Extended Range,and even though it is a tighter choke,I actually think the .650" was a better pattern,more killing hits on target.It is on par with the Jellyhead tube that I have,so thats a hard choice between them,but the Jellyhead costs about 50% more.

All in all,I think my starting point would be with the Jellyhead and the Carlson's.

If I wanted to put a lil more money into it,then I would try the Indian Creek or the Kicks Gobblin Thunder(which I already have),and maybe a Rhino,but thats a lot of money!Since you are gonna shoot lead you can stay with the tighter chokes as long as you are using the smaller shot sizes!Hope this helps ya!

I am not sure about the M1 but I have a SBE and a Supernova.I have been shooting patterns with several different chokes thru my Supernova.I know that every gun is an individual but sometimes you can get a good idea from others where to start.

I have been pretty impressed by a few chokes,and others don't really stand out much.I just bought a couple of the Carlson's choke tubes and have been impressed by their performance compared to price.I bought the Carlson's .650" nonported tube and the .665" ported tube.They both performed very well with the Winchester Extended Range,and even though it is a tighter choke,I actually think the .650" was a better pattern,more killing hits on target.It is on par with the Jellyhead tube that I have,so thats a hard choice between them,but the Jellyhead costs about 50% more.

All in all,I think my starting point would be with the Jellyhead and the Carlson's.

If I wanted to put a lil more money into it,then I would try the Indian Creek or the Kicks Gobblin Thunder(which I already have),and maybe a Rhino,but thats a lot of money!Since you are gonna shoot lead you can stay with the tighter chokes as long as you are using the smaller shot sizes!Hope this helps ya!

Thanks very much t,

There is definitely a lot of good technical and practical info on this forum--appreciate the info!

I also have been casing out the Rhino chokes- more dollars for sure but I'm willing to cover that spread if it gets me a tighter pattern! This old hunter better do my homework on Hevi and Nitro loads... looks like the retained energy and penetration down range is really better than even copper plated lead.

Good point- I talked with some hard core Canada and snow goose fanatics who love their Patternmaster chokes, with the tight shot string it puts out.

I was told by Patternmaster that their chokes are all constricted at .015. Maybe that means when it comes to patterning that with #5 or #6 shot this choke will not be ideal for turkey.