M4 Vang Comp Breaching device

LouDiamond

For those interested in a breaching device for the M4, Vang Comp offers one that is a simple add on. It replaces the standard magazine cap and also has a sling point incorporated in it for those who have an after market full length tube installed. The unit comes from Vang Comp with a new magazine spring and metal follower for $125.00. Like all things from Vang, the build quality is top notch. If you can remove the cap off of a coke bottle you can do this modification to your M4 in a matter of minutes.

I tested the unit out against a few door jambs and the teeth are very effective at digging in and providing positive barrel placement. Simply placing the unit against the door jamb and pushing lightly is enough to make the device dig in. No force is required so there is no need to worry about compromising the breach with the sound of a barrel hitting the door jamb prior to the shot.

pic #1

pic #2

pic #3

pic #4

pic #5

Okay guys, I need some help here understanding this M4 Vang Comp breaching device. A breaching device DOES NOT attach to the magazine . It attaches to the shotgun muzzle. A breaching shotgun uses a compressed slug designed to dissinergrate upon impact. The standard military 12 guage M1030 round uses 1.4 oz of powered steel held together with wax formed into a slug. The Hatton round ( 3" ) uses about 1.7 oz of powered zinc compressed into a slug. You aim these slugs at a door hinge or the space between doorknob/lock and the door jam. You get very close with the breaching muzzle (0-6 inches) and blast away. The entire force of the compressed powered slug is expanded on the door instantly. The slots cut into the sides of the breaching device and the pointed flanges on the end of the breaching device help divert the gasses from the fired shotshell and the resulting powered slug material. Not to mention splintered wood or metal from the door. This keeps the shooter from destroying the muzzle of the shotgun and wounding himself/herself. The M4 Vang Comp breaching device has no slots for the gas or powdered slug to go and isn't even mounted on the muzzle! Look at the Mossberg breaching device. On the muzzle where it belongs. So, is the Vang Comp device just for show and the "cool" factor? And where is my US M1017 bayonet adapter I've been waiting for somebody to produce for the Benelli's? :cool:

Okay guys, I need some help here understanding this M4 Vang Comp breaching device. So, is the Vang Comp device just for show and the "cool" factor?

While most breaching devices are barrel mounted, the purpose for it is to provide adequate standoff between the door jamb and the end of the barrel. The addition of "teeth" to the device aids the breacher in shot placement by allowing them to firmly place the device against the jamb without worrying about the barrel moving/sliding.

Having taught ballistic breaching using the "old school" method where the breacher uses the old Mk1 eyeball to judge distance from the door jamb for years, we have found that 1st time successful breaches are dependent on the skill of the individual. Given the dynamic nature of moving through a house and ballistically breaching multiple doors, even a skilled breacher can have failed breaches using the Mk 1 eyeball method.

After adding either a barrel or magazine mounted stand off device to the weapon we noticed that both students and experienced breachers had a higher 1st shot breach success at the breach point and while moving through the house than when they did not have the device.

We go through roughly 100 doors during a typical train up and have used most if not all of the breaching rounds out there. While some of them prove better than others either in effectiveness and or safety, we still have the best success rate with the the standard Mil issue 00, 9 pellet Winchester shells. While there may be better options out there, the simple fact is that there is plenty of 00 in the ammo supply system and no matter where you get deployed to in the world it is easier to find 00 that a niche specialty shell.

While the Vang device may look "cool" we use it for it's designed purpose. The fact that it can be added or removed in a matter of minutes and requires no permanent modification to the weapon or the barrel, provides added flexibility in tailoring the mission profile of the weapon. For some it may be a "cool" item but for what I do, it is a functional piece of kit.

Okay- a couple of question and then I'll go back and sit in the corner. Years ago while swinging on a Grouse in heavy wooded cover, just as I fired, a large Spruce Pine jumped in front of me and at about 10 feet took the entire load of 7+1/2 shot. Some of that shot bounced straight back and hit me in the hands/arms and kneck. Needless to say, that hurt a lot. Not all doors are created equal and many inner doors are thin hollow plywood. Outer doors tend to be heavy wood or metal construction. The Vang device is pushed against a door jam, leaving the unprotected muzzle about 2 inches from the door jam. So, what keeps the 00 buckshot from blowing back into the shooter? Does the shotgun muzzle get damaged? I'm just a little concerned that some one will purchase the Vang device and practise on the tool shed or barn door and wind up in the hospital and needing a new M4. (Although any reason for getting a new M4 must be considered justified) :o

must[/b] be considered justified) :o

One of the associated hazards of ballistic breaching is the possibility of ricochets from the round and or secondary fragmentation from the door itself. Protective equipment is a must and it goes without saying that in the situations I operate in everyone will be wearing full assault kit (Level 3-4 body armor, eye pro,etc). 00 can bounce back and or over penetrate depending on the surface it hits, which is why we have people making and marketing "breaching" rounds.

As for the barrel/muzzle, it doesn't get damaged during the breach. There are right ways to do things and wrong ways. Training and experience go along way in keeping people safe be it the breacher, guys in the stack or people inside/behind the door being breached. Like anything else, it is quite possible someone could go out on their own and attempt to breach an object that is inappropriate or do it incorrectly and cause harm to themselves. IMO, people who are tempted to do those sort of things will attempt them whether or not they have a breaching device on their weapon.

Here is an example of what not to do. This also shows the lack of proper training most conventional units have when it comes to ballistic breaching.

What not to do

To illustrate a proper ballistic breaching once inside a structure fast forward to time mark 1:55. Notice that the muzzle isn't affected in any way. This is not my video footage but some of the locations shown are from where I regularly do it.

My only issue with the breach in the second video is that the breacher jacked another round into the chamber after a successful breach. This relates more to SOPs and training issues than the breach itself.