If the turkeys don't gobble?

BARTMAN

The Toms can clam up for different reasons (in my opinion the weather rules most behavior) but that does not mean you can't still interest them with calling even when conditions are crummy-- just try calling very sparingly and very quietly (unless it's real windy. On quiet days I call a few times and then shut up completely for at least 15 minutes-- check your watch.

You may be surprised to find a Tom, or even more likely a jake or non-alpha Tom sneak in to see what's up.

If you can stalk turkeys that you haven't already pinpointed by hearing them call first, (so that you can avoid bumping them) then you would be a very stealthy hunter! I know I never could pull that off myself-- much better to call, wait, and then wait some more. :)

I always give any spot I'm set up on at least 45 minutes to an hour minimum before I move on a real quiet day, unless I get a call response from a Tom and decide to close the distance.

Good luck this spring-

The tom's here in my area sure did clam up,had a cold spell pass thru,sure did shut em up!But then again,the fact that they are still henned up here doesn't help either.

I did have a lil bit of fun with a couple of jakes.They were off to themselves,called them in to about 15 yds,let em ease off and called em back again,lol.It was fun to watch their reactions,but also very tempting,thinking of how good they would taste,lol!

Well the toms I have bumped have all been by themselves and the hens I have seen passing through two or three just feeding and no toms around and not a peep out of anything, was just wondering if its just not time to mate yet. went today and same thing slipped up on the tom again probably should have taken the shot as I had a pretty good opening on the head, but I didn't take the chance. Would be nice to shoot him full strut as he is kind of cinamon color but another oportunity he he may go because I don't know how many times he will let me bump him, and third times the charm

There is a green field on top of thise ridge out on the point. the whole point is the property line and there is a road cut all the way around. I walk up the mountain and around the road to get to the field and I can walk very quiet as it is kind of sandy. This tom must be homesteaded on top. and there is another field on the other side of this same point probably 300 yards apart.I can get in there before daybreak with no problem but If I move to the other field or go down in the bottom after hours of waiting is when I sneak up on him. We take each other by surprise and he never gets spooked or runs' he just slowly feeds away. These turkey are subjected to humans constantly so they are use to it. I hunt on top on the weekends because the owners nephew hunts in the bottom with some friend on the weekends and that just keeps down any problems., but he don't hunt up there because its a hard climb but thats all good too. But these turkeys go from the bottom fields up over this point to some fields on some other property within 100 yards of the property so its heavily traveled. This point is probably 150 to 200 yard deep and 400 yard wide cliffs on 3 sides. I very rarely not see turkerys when leaving or coming in after daybreak,

It's the same old "get where he wants to be,before he does" game.If you are seeing these birds with consistancy,then you should be able to use woodsmanship to get in the travel zone and just bushwack them. Are you allowed to hunt all day there? You could then set up near the roost before they return and try to blast him on his way back up.