SBE sights ???

jrhuntcamp

I have a SBE LH that I'm doing a few turkey updates to & was wondering what type of, & who's, aftermarket sights are being used by other Benelli owners.

I recently patterned a Comp-N-Choke Turkey XX Full .668 with the Winchester Supreme Elite E/R 3 1/2" #4s & #5s. This combo works fine with the stock sights under most conditions, but I can definitely see the need for a better sight set-up in lower light conditions.

I have a Rhino .660-2" coming in to work with the Nitro Hevi-Shot 3 1/2" 4x5x7 loads which should tighten my pattern up a bit more, so I've been looking into the "better sight" set-up.

Any suggestions / experiences would be appreciated ....

... tia ...

i just shot my new sbeII with rino 660 an nitro heavy 4x5x7.I got wonderful pattern at 40 yards but find that everything hits high with a figure eight back bead under the front orange sight.I tried an found out that you must put the silver back bead dead even over the front orange post to hit right on at 35-40 yds.gun seems to like 6 shot better then 5 shot.The nitro heavy shot with 2 1/4 4x5x7shot a beautiful group at 40 yrds after learning this trick.I bet i had over three hundred holes inside of a 11" circle at 40 yrds.I stopped after three shots with heavy.....too expensive to keep messing around .....sonny

Jrhuntcamp,I have been using the TruGlo sights on my SBE for turkey hunting.The set I have is the Universal,they are around $40 and work great,fit pretty much any shotgun rib.

You can use a field load to get them set very close to keep from shooting all of your expensive turkey loads just to set your sights!

I set my SBE II with Williams Fire sights. Tried the TruGlo in the past and had them fall off in the middle of a hunt. I feel their good but I’ll never trust them on any of my guns again. Not to mention the Williams are built solid and even cost a little less than the TruGlo sights. Here’s a photo of them and even a couple of my pattern from a Rhino / Nitro set up I patterned today

DSC00624.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

In case anyone is interested ... I found the Weaver 93 Base in Camo (based on a Burris item #410608) at Colorado Optics.

This is the camo base from the Burris Speed Dot package #90420 & the Burris 1.75-5X Variable Scope package #90421 as shown on the Benelli websight under Parts / Accessories - Sights & Optics.

But be prepared, they are "quite proud" of these Weaver 93 bases in the Camo finish ... :(.

... but for those of us that just "have to have" the base in the camo finish :rolleyes: for our Benelli(s), they have them.

EXCELLENT choice in patterning targets!:D

I bought a pack of 100 of these puppies :D Because of the size of the targets, you really get a great look at the whole shot pattern, I feel they're the best ones on the market today.

If you ever have any input them QBP, you should suggest making the target 10" all around bigger to even get a better look at the whole shot pattern.

Tooky I will have to say you have great taste.You are using the same pattern targets that I just started using this year:D,and I am not sure if I should tell ya this,but the Williams sights you are showing are exactly identical to the TruGlo Universal Tru-point Xtreme gight that I use on my SBE.If you got the lil ghost ring along with your sights,then they are probably made by the same people and just packaged a lil differently!

Thanks td :D I love my set up and think that a lot of gobblers with be getting rolled for years to come with it. I'm looking to add an EZ Pull Trigger Assist soon. Ordered it last night and I hope it make my turkey thumper even sweeter!

I'm not trying to stir your pot by this but it you look back several years ago, TruGlo sight were designed different and actually had plastic ramp parts. That's when I used them and that's when the rear ramp just fell off my gun. They since then changed their design to what you see now and like you mentioned, they are pretty identical to the Williams Sight. I strongly believe that's why they changed their sight mount to Williams design. The William sights mounts rock solid! I'll be ordering another set for my Benelli 20ga today.

TruGlo has defiantly build a better sight since the day they first put out the turkey sights and I feel they would defiantly work well. I personally can not bring myself to trusting them again. For those that use them, I'm glad they're happy and hope they never have an issue like I did ;)

Good Luck & Hunt Safe!

Tooky

Just got off the phone from ordereing my sight. I asked them about their design and how TruGlo is now designed liked their sights. He told me that TruGlo orders bases from them. He didn't know how much of the Williams parts they order but they are getting the bases directly from Williams. So we're all using the same quality sights ;)

Seems like we both have pretty good taste then,lol.Tooky be sure and let me know how you like that EZ pull trigger assist!I was thinking of ordering one for my Supernova,it has some travel before reaching the sear and is a lil heavy ,but it seems to be getting better the more I shoot it.

I think I saw a thread on here where someone else was using the EZ pull trigger assist.Maybe they will chime in and help us out with that.I would like to have my trigger done by a smith who could lighten it and take out the travel but its TURKEY SEASON here in Tennessee ,so that will have to wait!

I'll be sure to post up a review once I get it all set up ;) I’ll do my best not only to review the set up and function of it but how it looks, feels on the gun and the over all quality of it.

The one thing I find really found appealing about the pull assist is that's not a permanent thing. I’ve had my Remington’s worked on before and actually had a hard time finding a gunsmith willing to do them. With this if it fits my other guns; all I’ll have to do it take it off, put it on another gun and adjust it. Sounds like you could do a trigger job in about 10 minutes on any of you guns.

Good Luck & Hunt Safe

Patterned the Rhino .660-2" with the Nitro H51013A 4x5x7 loads in my SBE LH - worked out just like the folks at Rhino & Nitro said it would ... :D :D.

Gonna try one of the Aimpoint 9000SC Red Dots & see how I like that set-up vs. the fiber optics ... hopefully I'll be checking it out "for real" early Thursday morning.

In case anyone is interested ... I found the Weaver 93 Base in Camo (based on a Burris item #410608) at Colorado Optics.

This is the camo base from the Burris Speed Dot package #90420 & the Burris 1.75-5X Variable Scope package #90421 as shown on the Benelli websight under Parts / Accessories - Sights & Optics.

But be prepared, they are "quite proud" of these Weaver 93 bases in the Camo finish ... :(.

... but for those of us that just "have to have" the base in the camo finish :rolleyes: for our Benelli(s), they have them.

hi jr

i found this burris camo base at midwayusa.com for 17.99 and 2.99 shipping usps...not a bad price...weaver doesnt sell a camo base yet but looks like burris copied the weaver but in camo!!! i am waiting for my new m2 slug gun to arrive, then i will order a base.....for my bushnell trophy hunter 1.75-4x scope...love that circle x reticle!

hi jr

i found this burris camo base at midwayusa.com for 17.99 and 2.99 shipping usps...not a bad price...weaver doesnt sell a camo base yet but looks like burris copied the weaver but in camo!!! i am waiting for my new m2 slug gun to arrive, then i will order a base.....for my bushnell trophy hunter 1.75-4x scope...love that circle x reticle!

From what I was told by both Weaver & Burris - Burris gets the 93 bases from Weaver & is dipping them (or having them dipped) to get the camo finish to match their camo scopes & rings.

I've seen the standard black Weaver 93 bases for as little as $6 & change ... so I guess paying somewhere around double or so for the camo version is par for the course :D.

Unfortunately I didn't do a search on the Burris part #, I just got in touch with the recommended dealer & ordered one - think I paid about $25 with the shipping.

Sounds like I could've saved a couple of bucks by looking around a little more; especially since I just placed an order with Midway yesterday :o.

hey jr - i picked up my m2 today! now i can't wait to fire a few slugs thru it...i am looking locally for a weaver 93a base, if i cant find one i may order the black one direct from weaver, you are right they are about 7 bucks for matte black...i have matte black rings so i guess it would be ok...the gun is all purpose green camo, my first benelli, i feel like a rookie! lol...

I believe I'll be passing on the EZ Pull Trigger Assist for turkey hunting. It does work really nice and I would recommend it ;) I just keep wondering about that award sitting positions turkey hunting sometime throw at me and using it properly.

With my big fingers, I'm working the trigger with just the tip of my finger and that isn't something I care to try and deal with when I've got a nice gobbler working his way into my calling from my left side.

Overall I give two thumbs up :D