M4 fore rails - Surefire vs. Brugger and Thomet

MikeyZ

Hey everyone. I just joined the M4 fraternity of ownership and now am in the fun process of accessorizing it. I would like to put a fore rail handguard on it, and have read (in this forum) plenty about the Surefire not fitting quite right and problems with cycling as a result. I also have read that the Brugger and Thomet (available through DSA) has a problem with allowing debris to spit out all over your hands. Both of these posts were a while ago, and am wondering what the latest is. Does the Surefire still have this fitting problem or has that been resolved? Does anyone have the Brugger and Thomet, and if so, how do you like it? Much appreciated guys.

well theres a post somewhere in here about the cycling problem the surefire m80 was making. the solution was to add a strip or two of the 3M tape (that you can get from napa) inside the m80 where the pistons would sit in and it would fix the problem. so far so good for my M4, so i'd say it works.

I have the M80 on mine and as of yet do not have a problem with feeding or the above mentioned piston issue. One of the members did have an issue and was able to apply a simple fix with the 3M tape. He was kind enough to post the results with pics here on the forum.

Thanks fellas. I'm not exactly crazy about the idea of applying double-sided tape to a new $1500 firearm, but if it truly is a good fix to a problem, so be it. Parenthetically, I did see the thread (with pics and all) that explained how to do it. Looks completely painless to me....hats off to the one who supplied the instruction set.

On a related note, what ever happened with the MESA TACTICAL rail system project??? I can't find anything on this that is posted after early 2007. Did they finally decide to pull the plug on this? That would be a shame. It looked very slick.