M2 vs M1?

drmajor

Looking to buy a 28" M2 or M1 preferably used due to current budget.

I like the M2 stock and butt pad, but I can buy a M1 much less money. Will the M2 butt pad fit onto a M1?

What are the other differences in the M2 vs M1?

Mechanically, are they the same..?

Is the M2 worth a large difference in price? I can't seem to find a M2 used in 28" Field.

The two guns are both super tough, great handling guns. I got ripped on another thread for mentioning that my 20 gauge M2 came with standard non-Crio chokes, which my older year model did indeed come with. As I was corrected after that thread, they are now all supplied with Crio chokes.

If the Crio barrels and chokes are a big deal to you that could be the swing factor in deciding. All I know is I cannot discern a difference in knock down power or killing range between the older barrel on the M1 and the newer Crio barrel on my M2, with any choke. (Both are 24" barrels.) I'm not shy about taking wild pheasants out to 45-50 yards with either gun.

This would be based on my very unscientific field studies over the last several years on a whole bunch of hunts for wild ducks, geese, pheasants, 3 species of grouse, quail, turkey etc. I've had my M1 since 1994.

A bigger deal to you in deciding might be the carrier latch. On the M1's, you can release shells from the magazine easily with your finger to unload, without cycling each load through the chamber. It is a very similar set up to the old Ithaca #37s that were a snap to load and unload and switch loads in- anyone in law enforcement from back then will attest to that- and the M1 is just like that.

There is high familiarity factor and minimal fussing with load/unload procedures with the M1, and that all adds up over the years.

Ain't the case with the M2. You will not be able to release shells from the magazine by depressing the carrier latch! You will be cycling each load through your gun, each and every time you load up and do not fire all the loads.

Check with a seasoned gunsmith in your area and get his views if you can. Good luck and happy hunting. :)

I have an old Ithaca 37 that was my dad's. it still shoot very well but the Modified barrel is more like wide open. My dad liked it for rabbit hunting- #4 shot and short barrel for in the woods.

Ithaca does cycle very easy. Will try to compare locally. Thanks.

I've never been sorry for buying an M1.I have used it to kill almost everything that I have hunted with it,and it has never let me down.The extra money you save can buy you a lot of goodies to dress it up,eg; choke tubes,sights,or perhaps even a SteadyGrip stock for turkeys. You could even buy another gun for a backup or "rain" gun,like a camo Rem 870 or a Nova!

I've never been sorry for buying an M1.I have used it to kill almost everything that I have hunted with it,and it has never let me down.The extra money you save can buy you a lot of goodies to dress it up,eg; choke tubes,sights,or perhaps even a SteadyGrip stock for turkeys. You could even buy another gun for a backup or "rain" gun,like a camo Rem 870 or a Nova!

I agree 100%. Of the guns I've ever owned, and they've all been very good guns, my M1 has always been the most reliable, tough, easy to clean and maintain, straight shooting... well you get the idea! :)