4's, 5's, or 6's?

dfb2004

Id like some input on shot size for toms. I always have used #4's but am seeing alot of people using 6's and i used 5's for the first time last year and missed a few birds( hit but didnt get). Can i get some idea's on the how and why from some of you please?.....before i go spend another $125 on patterning.

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is that it is similar to kinetic energy in archery. 4's hit harder than 5's, 5's hit harder than 6's etc. at longer ranges. On the other side though, you get more shot using 6's than with 5's or 4's etc. and usually see better patterns on paper due to having more shot. I am using Hevi Shot Hevi 13 3.5" #6's in 2.25 oz load. This is because #6 in Hevi 13 hits like #5's but gives me more payload than just shooting #5's. I have not patterned Hevi 13 #5's yet but look forward to in the near future and am very interested to see if I get as good of a pattern on paper that I did with #6's. Too close to season now for me to start changing things up for now. Hope this helps and good luck.

I only use #6's in heavy shot types of shells.

I don't trust #6's in lead except at shorter ranges.

I now don't even trust H-13 #6's at longer ranges after slapping a tom at 45 yards last weekend. I think the 1090 fps is not enough for longer ranges.

If I had to pick a single shell, it would still be XR 6's. But, XR 5's are not far behind.

Again we would come to the same argument we have in bowhunting .....kinetic energy or speed?? Does it matter so much how many pellets get there if they aren't doing the damage a larger pellet would......or if the smaller pellets are reaching the target x amount of fps faster, therefore penetrating deeper.......i know i know....just put the damn shell in the gun and shoot the turkey...lol....thanks for the replies