New and saying Hi with a question...

rzmitchv4

Cool Forum, been reading the posts...Please go easy on a Newbie...I'm 53 and want to start shooting and realized I am left eye dominant bigtime after reading some articles on that! How will this affect my operation of the M4...will I be disadvantaged in any way? I always shot right handed with BB guns as a kid but have been advised to go "left" now...what's your opinion on this? Thanks to all those that reply!

Mitch

Cool Forum, been reading the posts...Please go easy on a Newbie...I'm 53 and want to start shooting and realized I am left eye dominant bigtime after reading some articles on that! How will this affect my operation of the M4...will I be disadvantaged in any way? I always shot right handed with BB guns as a kid but have been advised to go "left" now...what's your opinion on this? Thanks to all those that reply!

Mitch

Hello, and although I am new here too, welcome,

I am right handed but I shoot from my left hand for many, many years now.. I never had a problem with any gun.

I include the M4 because I have it. I never used a left handed gun for any purpose. It is possible for you to need some time to get used to it but in my opinion you will not have a problem. And don't be afraid of the extracting shells. They will not hit you.

You should try to learn to shoot left-handed, but it's not absolutely necessary for success.

You will need to either close the dominant eye (not the best of choices for safety reasons) or use a sighting system to force the weak-side eye to be used.

The standard factory sights may not be enough to accomplish this, but there are a number of aftermarket choice available.

Something as simple as the Easy Hit sight will certainly do the trick, but you can also choose from a wide range of optics as well.

Watch Tom Knapp explain how the Easy Hit sight works.

Welcome. I have to respectfully disagree with some of the above posters. I am right handed and left eye dominate. I feel that it is easier to shoot with my left eye half closed then try to use my left hand for anything.

I am a competition shooter, police officer and police sniper. I have no problem applying the smallest of muscle movement to my left eye and my right eye takes over. I can still see out of my left, although not as well, but if the average gun fight is 3-5 seconds, then I would choose to change my eye and not my handedness. Quick misses don't do you any good. Just my .02 cents. Stop by often, there are some very knowlegable posters who have helped me alot.

Duvall

I agree with Duvall. IMHO it depends on what you're used to and how long you have been shooting that way. I am right handed and left eye dominent (my, there are a lot of us), but I always shoot right handed, if I have a choice. Of course, I've been shooting rifles and shotguns right handed for over 14 years, so I have managed to train my right eye to take over in these situations, much how Duvall explained.

My humble advice, play around with it and do what seems most natural to you, and by all means, whatever gives you the most accurate shots! If you are going to be in tactical situations, especially CQB, then learning to shoot well left-handed is key for obvious reasons.

I agree with KG22122 and Tucker301. I am right-handed, but shoot left-handed due to my left eye being dominant. I can shoot both, but it feels much more natural to shoot left-handed. That being said, you need to pick what is right for you...when it comes to using your eyes and coordination of your left or right hand. If you do go left, you shouldn't have any issues with shells ejecting out to the right.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and quick responses! Very Cool! I looked at the Holosight that Caligvla mentioned (EOotech 550 Series Military Holosight #550.A65 Rev F) and was hoping you could fill me in on how this works, the image you see, etc???

Mitch

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and quick responses! Very Cool! I looked at the Holosight that Caligvla mentioned (EOotech 550 Series Military Holosight #550.A65 Rev F) and was hoping you could fill me in on how this works, the image you see, etc???

Mitch

This Video may help you get an idea of it.

This video is also good...

you keep both eyes open, it corrects for parallax and you shoot where the red reticle is... pretty simple point and shoot, just like playing doom...

I never realised how many left eye dominant shooters there are. Nice to know we are not in the minority as i thaught. I am right handed, shoot pistol right hand, but rifles left hand. I guess it's like MikeyZ said, depends on what you are used to and how long you been doing it.