Best Break-In Ammo for M4 - Opinions?

MikeyZ

I've been searching many blogs and threads trying to assess the true shotgun experts' opinions about the best ammo to use in breaking in an auto shotgun. Mostly what I see is quite simply to use "heavy loads." I would like to challenge you all to submit your opinions about the best ammo to break in an M4. I am particularly interested to hear your thoughts on the following:

1 - 3" mag or 2 3/4"

2 - steel or lead (or hevi)

3 - what weight?

4 - could one use slugs and/or 00 buck?

5 - A particular brand you are partial to?

6 - how many rounds? I have seen 200 rds be suggested time and time again - clearly this varies but I am looking for ballpark

Thanks for the feedback fellas, much appreciated. One gentleman already suggested using 2 1/4 oz loads. Thanks for that suggestion.

Mike

far from expert but why would you need to break in an ARGO designed shotgun? thought only the Inertia shotguns were particular about being broke in?:confused: any quality shell 2 3/4 or 3" with min 1 1/8 Oz Dram Eq should be plenty! different model numbers but both M4's?

http://www.farrarsodfarm.com/nelli/USMC_M1014.pdf

thank Tucker301 for pdf! i just saved it!

Bear in mind that the official Benelli M4 use and maintenance manual does not specify a break-in period. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking in the M4 in with a specific load. Rather, take the time as an opportunity to try out various brands with various loads with various shot sizes and slugs. I favor low-recoil loads such as the Winchester WINLITE WL1200, Fiocchi 12LE00BK and Federal Premium VitalShok PFC154 for self-defense use and have practiced with primarily those specific rounds. I went through about ten boxes each of 12LE00BK and PFC154.

Bear in mind that the official Benelli M4 use and maintenance manual does not specify a break-in period. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking in the M4 in with a specific load. Rather, take the time as an opportunity to try out various brands with various loads with various shot sizes and slugs. I favor low-recoil loads such as the Winchester WINLITE WL1200, Fiocchi 12LE00BK and Federal Premium VitalShok PFC154 for self-defense use and have practiced with primarily those specific rounds. I went through about ten boxes of each.

Most of those wont cycle in an M4, certainly winlite wont cycle ever, they even warn you on the box not to use them in semi-auto guns...

Just shoot a couple hundred rounds of a quality brand 3" magnum load, slugs or even 000 buckshot should do the trick... The first day I had my M4, I shot 100 rounds of really hot Estate Turkey loads... Whatever you choose, just be sure to clean and lube your gun and give it a good visual inspection before taking her out...

What matters: clean it, lube it per factory instructions

What's next: get some ammo, shoot it

What doesn't matter: brand/type/shot size/powder charge

As long as you're not doing something like shooting steel shot with the full choke tube, it really doesn't matter. This isn't like breaking in a benchrest rifle. :D My preference is to get some of this, some of that...mix it up. Low recoil, 3" mag, slug, cheap/discount brand shells...feed it everything, see if you can make it choke. If you can, make a note but don't panic. After 200-300 shells, try that one again and see if it works more reliably (it probably will).

I agree it needs to be fired to break it in. Mine is brand new and low brass hangs up, but high brass loads run like butter. Just need to pump some rounds through it to I guess loosen up the recoil spring or something, it just feels a little tight.

Dude, just get some cheap Wallace World promo loads with a 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4 or3 dram loads and fire away. There is no need to shoot magnums and destroy your wallet AND your shoulder in the process.

My M4's will both shoot 1oz./3 dr. loads all day long. One gun will even shoot the 7/8 or24gr. (with 3dr of powder). I've had a lot of Benellis-bought my first one in 94'. I've have both 12 and 20's Montes, M1's and SBE's and I have never had any break- in issues.

I think what happens is that people will take a brand new gun out all gunked up with sticky factory lube and try to shoot it without a proper precleaning/lubrication. What they find is that they have a gun that hangs up on them. They then blame the gun/manufacturer. Another thing people will do is had cycle the action about 300 times- this does work to smooth things out IMO. Enjoy your new weapon because its the sh*t.

Dude, just get some cheap Wallace World promo loads with a 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4 or3 dram loads and fire away. There is no need to shoot magnums and destroy your wallet AND your shoulder in the process.

My M4's will both shoot 1oz./3 dr. loads all day long. One gun will even shoot the 7/8 or24gr. (with 3dr of powder). I've had a lot of Benellis-bought my first one in 94'. I've have both 12 and 20's Montes, M1's and SBE's and I have never had any break- in issues.

I think what happens is that people will take a brand new gun out all gunked up with sticky factory lube and try to shoot it without a proper precleaning/lubrication. What they find is that they have a gun that hangs up on them. They then blame the gun/manufacturer. Another thing people will do is had cycle the action about 300 times- this does work to smooth things out IMO. Enjoy your new weapon because its the sh*t.

Thanks for the advice. To all of you. Doesn't sound like the M4 has many issues with ammo (surprise, surprise).