gun smith to mill m1014 recoil slide

captdan

the collapsible stock wont fit if you dont mill the recoil slide??

strange..

I think the M1014 has the standard recoil slide like the M2/M1. The M4LE and the M4CQB are the ones that have the recoil slides that accept the collapsible stock.

I would HIGHLY recco that you just buy a factory tube from Numrich. Not only will it cost half as much, but you won't have to worry about stock alignment, fit, etc. Far easier to replace with a factory unit.

Smithing the recoil tubes came from the lack of a factory tube to replace the Limited Edition tube. Now that factory tubes are available, the smith option should go away entirely.

But does this one permit the stock to collapse in three positions, or it is make it 'fixed' like the original?

That tube is the factory 3-position tube. Smithing the fixed recoil tube was the only option before these were available. Not that they are, you shouldn't bother with smithing.

I had heard it is very difficult to unscrew the old recoil tube out because Benelli used a powered form of locktite that makes it extremely difficult to unscrew from the receiver. What is the procedure to get the old one out?

i used a heat gun, 3x crescent wrench; one that fits snug around the nut where the tube meets the reciever other to fit snug around the end of the tube and the last one doesn't matter.

first thing i did was i used the heat gun to break down the locktite.

then i had to unscrew the nut where the tube meets the reciever. i did that by finding a crescent, 1 1/16 if i remember correctly, that fit it. then i slide another wrench threw the reciever where the bolt goes then out the bottom. by having my dad hold that wrench in place it keep the reciever from moving, then i used some brute force to get that nut off... its hard as **** let me tell you.

pretty did the same thing taking off the tube as i did taking off the nut. both are hard as ****, but all that hard work was worth it to me.

I had heard it is very difficult to unscrew the old recoil tube out because Benelli used a powered form of locktite that makes it extremely difficult to unscrew from the receiver. What is the procedure to get the old one out?

I think this is the red locktite vs. the standard blue. That stuff is really solid and generally the seal cannot be broken by mechanical means alone, so the previous posts are correct that it must be heated up before attempting to loosen it.

I think this is the red locktite vs. the standard blue. That stuff is really solid and generally the seal cannot be broken by mechanical means alone, so the previous posts are correct that it must be heated up before attempting to loosen it.

I plan on using loctite blue on my M4's threads...

That tube is the factory 3-position tube. Smithing the fixed recoil tube was the only option before these were available. Not that they are, you shouldn't bother with smithing.

Please be aware that that tube is the two position tube. It will permit you to fully extend it and fully collapse it. It does not have the cuts necessary to put the stock in the middle, half way between fully expanded and fully collapsed.