Turkey Calling Technique Question

aaronfink

So I was out all weekend in Washington, and although i had a decent number of returned calls, I was never able to ultimately coax a gobbler out into the open enough to see him or take a shot.

I'm using a box call, the type which takes two hands to operate, where you slide the flat wood panel over the sides of the box. I like the sound and volume it creates, but I think part of my problem is that I'm only able to reproduce the yelp. Can anyone describe to me how you're reproduce a nice series of cutts on this type of call?

Any other suggestions? All are welcome... Thanks!

Box calls can be OK on windy days, but for still days when the sound carries well, I prefer a slate call.

The box call has too much volume to suit me and it puts the turkeys on alert just out of range too often for my tastes.

With a nice soft slate, I can manipulate the volume to seem like the hen is farther away and I can "throw" the sounds to the right or left to guide the bird into position.

When they come into range for me, they think they're still about 50 yards from the hen.

Here's a decent video on box calls.

I use a box call one handed majority of the time. I typically use a mouth diaphram to yelp with and purr, cluck and cut with one hand on the box call. I do this by resting the the bottom of the box into my hand and grasp the lid using my thumb and index finger. It takes some practice this way. I do like the fly down cackle by tapping the lid. If I ever figure out how to post videos I will try to get something together. The Knight and Hale Long Spur box is one of my favorites, along with the Primos Lil' heartbreaker. Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started Turkey hunting everyone used a box call( becuase that was all that was really available). Then and now mouth calls are the fad. I like a box call and slate becuase not too many people use them (or so it seems). The biggest challenge is volume control. Not being too loud, especially as it gets closer. To make cuts, strike the paddle on the side wall in a rapid succession. To make clucks, I place the paddle on the wall and flick the paddle upward making sure the paddle "grabbs" the edge of the wall. To pur, slowly pull the paddle with very little downward pressure accross the wall.

"Turkey Call" magazine's most recent isue had a good article from Rob Keck on how to make sure your box call is properly tuned.

The best way to become a better caller is to accept the fact that you are going to really tick off your wife. Its not a big deal because for the month you should care about eating, sleeping, and hunting and not any "extra curricular" activities:cool:.

Listen to real turkeys. Don't just listen...really listen. Watch some hunting shows and also look on the web for some video and audio.

It takes practice.

I like to carry a mixxed bag in the woods. Usually a couple different boxxes, a few slates, a few glass calls. That way I can give the birds a choir if they need it. If one call does not work, I'll switch up. Also, if you booger a bird with a particualr call, put that one away in those woods and switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Mimic as best you can but you have to remember volume is a huge problem the closer they get the more it may spook them. I have found that patience really pays. Sometimes calling too often also spooks them. And finally make sure not to call when their close you may not see them because they may come up from behind. Call and wait call and wait or try a glass call i use a Knight & hale signiture series and man has that paid me back.

I'm a box call user all the way....When the birds are on the roost and gobbling, I give a couple of soft yelps to let the birds know that i am there....I don't get call happy and yelp every hour with a series of a boss hen... If I have gobblers on the way, I keep them interested and then I clam up when they see the decoy.... Very useful during windy days