Do I need a choke for my M4?

Mr. Shotgun

I was wondering what the thing is with shotgun chokes...

after doing some research i found out that Benelli makes 2 chokes for the M4, a standard on and then an extended one.

Which one does my shotgun come with out of the box? What benefit is the extended choke??

should I buy one?

More of the well-seasoned shotgunners on this forum will undoubtedly answer this call, but what I can offer is that the M4 comes with (I believe) a modified choke (three X marks on the side - this is what mine came with). This is not an extended choke.

If the extended choke you speak of is what I think it is, then this will pertrude out beyond the muzzle, allowing you to screw on a muzzle break, which is commonly used when breaching doors (and some people install them for looks). Your call if this is what you want. Personally, I hesitate to add any more length to the barrel than is already there, because I like my M4 to be as light and nimble as possible. Some will argue the extra weight at the end will help minimize muzzle flip. Good point, if you're worried about that.

Hope this helps.

More of the well-seasoned shotgunners on this forum will undoubtedly answer this call, but what I can offer is that the M4 comes with (I believe) a modified choke (three X marks on the side - this is what mine came with). This is not an extended choke.

If the extended choke you speak of is what I think it is, then this will pertrude out beyond the muzzle, allowing you to screw on a muzzle break, which is commonly used when breaching doors (and some people install them for looks). Your call if this is what you want. Personally, I hesitate to add any more length to the barrel than is already there, because I like my M4 to be as light and nimble as possible. Some will argue the extra weight at the end will help minimize muzzle flip. Good point, if you're worried about that.

Hope this helps.

I want my gun to be equipped with the military spec choke...

I guess whatever choke they use for combat/fighting purposes....

anyway, I ordered my standard stock today online from www.ableammo.com. once the stock arrives I'm gonna go pick up my gun from the shop and go have some fun with it

I want my gun to be equipped with the military spec choke...

I guess whatever choke they use for combat/fighting purposes....

Then you will want to stick with what's in the box. No extended choke.

anyway, I ordered my standard stock today online from www.ableammo.com. once the stock arrives I'm gonna go pick up my gun from the shop and go have some fun with it

Congrats.....have fun with it. What a beautiful piece it is :rolleyes:

Do have to take out the choke to fire a rifled slug in an M4?

The general consensus is to use a choke that is modified or looser if you are worried about the threads on your barrel.

However, myself and many others have shot plenty of slugs through a full choke with no harm done.

You'll want to use a cylinder chose for rifled slugs.

A Mod. Or a IC will probably work better. The slugs have so called rifling on the outside of the slug itself and it needs to get squeezed slightly to impart a spin on the slug. They make rifled choke tubes as well. The best slugs seem to be the Federal TruBall slugs.

Shooting slugs through a shotgun kinda defeats the whole purpose of a shotgun though IMO. Get some Federal 00 buck with the flightcontrol wad and you'll have yourself an effective weapon out to 50 yards or so. Any farther and you would be better served with a 7.62X51/.308 rifle or carbine.

This is whacky. Anyone have a reason for why some M4s are coming in the box with a variety of chokes, others with only an IC, and some with only a modified (as in my case)? Very interesting.....do our friends in Italy draw straws or play rock paper scissors on these decisions?

It's the dealer.

Every M4 is supposed to ship with the various chokes, the dealers just move them out the box or something when they take the gun out ... I had to point this out to my dealer, who then said "oh yea", went and retrieved some from a pile of benelli ones he had, and gave them to me.