New SBEII owner needs your thoughts, support...

HokieGomer

I pulled the trigger this morning on two different turkeys this morning, the first turkeys I have EVER pulled the trigger on, and both times my SBEII went "click"...:mad:

Needless to say, I am furious at the moment, but I thought I would drop by here to get your thoughts on what the problem may be, me or the gun. So let me go down the history I have had with this gun.

Bought my SBEII in October 2007 on recommendations from several fellow hunters and a little reserach. Have traditionally shot Browning A-5's, but wanted to treat myself with a new gun for my new job. The first day I took it out, I put loaded it up, aimed and squeezed the trigger. "Click." Reviewed the loading directions and discovered I really had bought a different weapon than I was used to. Shot 15 3.5" buckshot rounds after that without trouble. Cleaned gun per instructions.

Deer season comes around, and load it as I did on previous encounter. Doe waners by, put the bead on her and "click", off she goes. Go through exact same motions a week later, two does go down at the same time. Cleaned gun at end of season (Jan).

Go shooting at trap range in Feb., no jams or misfires. Clean gun.

Now, I'm out today, and two separate chances happen for a shot (~10 yrds) for my first ever turkey, and two separate "clicks." On each instance, I felt a jerk of the gun forward, like the action wasn't quite closed, even though I had specifically checked to see that it was completely closed. I checked to shell on the first to see if there was a dimple on the primer, it hadn't been touched. On the second encounter, the trigger pull was accompanied with a shell ejecting from the magazine waiting to be lifted. I cycled the action and chambered the round(I was well hidden behind a big tree and was able to lean over where he didn't see my movement), was actually able to put the bead on the turkey again (NO IDEA why he didn't take off at that point) only to be followed by another heartbreaking "Click". At this point, they were running off, I cleared the chamber, bolt locked open (only two shells in the gun for me when I hunt turkey), grabbed one of the shells from the ground, got it in the chamber, pushed the release button and took a 50 yard anger shot through the timber.

Other issues I have had are the cartridge carrier hanging up in the breech holding the bolt back, difficulty loading 3.5" shells into the magazine and I can't get the dang bolt handle out of the breech bolt.

OK, now after a couple of evening adult beverages and taking time to think about what's been going on, I took some time to cruise this forum. I really believe that there is something wrong with the gun, but wanted to get the thoughts of the folks here (and possibly some sympathy) before lighting a fire under Benelli. Is it me, the gun, or a combination of both?:confused:

Sorry for being so long with this, but I really want this gun to work for me and am just very frustrated at the moment.

I lay myself at your mercy...

The bolt of an Inertia gun does not lock into place as do some more traditional bolts.

If you attempt to ease the bolt shut quietly, it will not fully go into battery and the weapon will not fire, because the bolt face is not tight against the base of the shell.

It will also slip out of battery if you accidentally bump it just so on the buttstock; as in sitting it down beside a tree to stop and call.

There's a pretty common tendency among bored and anxious hunters to slip the bolt opened to make sure they remembered to load a live round into the chamber.

Trying to ease it back shut quietly won't allow it to fully rotate and close.

FTF (Fail To Fire) will be the result.

Keeping the bolt issue in mind the field, you will learn to be able to look at the bolt's position and tell if it's fully into battery.

You'll get into a habit of checking it on a regular basis.

and I can't get the dang bolt handle out of the breech bolt.

I always do this after I have the bolt out of the receiver.

It pops right out.

Mudhen has shared his shoestring tip more than once as well.

Wrap a shoelace around the handle several times and give it a yank.

The bolt of an Inertia gun does not lock into place as do some more traditional bolts.

If you attempt to ease the bolt shut quietly, it will not fully go into battery and the weapon will not fire, because the bolt face is not tight against the base of the shell.quote]

So how do I prevent or recognize this? Do I need to worry about any little bump of my gun releasing the shell from the chamber? Is the only way to ensure a proper load is to let the bolt fly each time you load from the ejection port? Is there any way to do this quietly?

I agree with everything Tucker has already posted.

The problem is simple, the bolt is not properly going into battery. If you say it is, absent a broken part, you are probably mistaken.

Absent a broken or improperly fitted part, a Benelli, with the bolt properly in battery, with a live shell in the chamber, goes bang when you pull the trigger. Period.

I suspect operator error. I suspect the bolt is being bumped out of battery by the user. It is also possible that the bolt cannot go into proper battery due to a build up of crud in the recessed area where the extractor must rest to ensure full battery.

The two most common hunting groups that complain of the dreaded Benelli click are deer hunters and turkey hunters, both groups tending to prefer to gently close the bolt to reduce noise.

There is no need to 'slam' home a Benelli bolt though. Keep the area clean and lightly lubricated and the bolt will have no trouble closing properly.

I would love to see Benelli add a notch or something to indicate the location of the extractor when the bolt is properly closed. I can only say right now that the proper location appears to be just above the point where the extractor would be pointing right down the gun. 2:00 o'clock if you will.

Note, there have been issues of improperly fitted parts in some Benellis. I recall issues where the shell carrier is off center and causing feeding and lock-up problems. Certainly contact Benelli CS if you cannot fix the problem yourself.

Good luck!

Perhaps a better way of preventing the dreaded "Benelli Click" is to practise making you shotgun do, the Benelli click. Making sure your shotgun is empty, sit next to a tree and bump the ground with the butt of the shotgun and see if it the fires. Give the butt a slap with your hand and see if it fires. Gently ease the bolt forward and try again. After awhile you will have the "click" down to a science and then will know what not to do. It's a simple exercise in reverse learning but very effective. Also works on certain semi-automatic pistols. When you learn what will make your firearm not work, your ready for that all important shot or even better, how to clear a jam and keep shooting. :)

Is the action to the gun really that sensitive to not engaging the chamber or becoming disengaged? I find this very disheartning at this point. That coupled with the fact that it has a name (the "Benelli Click").

You are probably right in regard to how each of these instances occurred. The first "click" was a result of me easing a round in as I had actually driven up in my vehicle to within 100yards of the turkey. The second encounter I was crawling and bumping around on the ground getting into position. And finally, I have always had a habit of easing the bolt closed when loading my firearm.

Is there any way I can engage the bolt to the round and chamber from the closed position?

It's going to make some noise.

I usually hoot or wait for a crow to caw to cover the noise when turkey hunting if really close to the bird.

It doesn't need to be pulled back all the way and let go.

Mine will fully rotate if released from about 1/2" back.

Is there any way I can engage the bolt to the round and chamber from the closed position?

In English please?

After a few clicks in 1990, the first year of Benelli ownership for me, I just learned how to properly operate my firearm.

I've had maybe 2-3 Benelli clicks in the past 18-19 or so seasons. In that time, I've had maybe 50+ mis or non fires from various other firearms and brands of ammo.

Lots of things are given 'names' just for ease in discussing.

If you close the bolt slow, then wiggle the bolt handle sideways it will rotate and be seated properly. It still may be bonced loose but it will be seated correctly and be fine if gun is not banged around. Have been doing this for 20 years deer hunting, always fires.

• 2 months later...