Calling Tips

StrutStopper26

Hey everybody i have a question. I consider myself to be pretty good with a mouth call, and several people have told me that and even asked me to call for them on their hunts. but, the problem is, while i can operate a turkey call just fine, i'm a bit confused on when and how often to call. i can't remember how many times i've fired up a gobbler and had him answering my every call, only to have them not come in. this has me scratching my head and wondering what i'm doing wrong. any tips would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

You may be over calling. Try calling more sparingly. Once you get the birds attention quit calling. Remember the hen is supposed to go to the tom not the tom going to the hen. By calling a little then being quiet, that tom may think that the hen is leaving and then come to you looking. Also what obstacles are around that may hang the bird up?

Are you using any dekes? Again, call sparingly. Also, don't be afraid to pick up move away from the bird a little and then call again. This may make that tom think the hen is moving away and bring him to you. Works great if you have a partner that moves back and calls for you while you stay put to intercept the tom. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Gobblers have an amazing ability to pinpoint where a sound comes from.If you strike one and he answers you with some intensity,listen to what bowhuntr said,and chill out,as he knows where you are.If you get him too fired up,he might just puff up and prance back and forth waiting for you.Another thing is he may have a hen or two with him that he is afraid to leave.In this case,listen for the "boss hen" to make noise such as cutting,yelping,kee-kee runs,etc. and mimic her.Try to get her mad and come looking for you,and she might just drag him with her!